April 21, 2014, 07:11:18 AM

Author Topic: 350D/Rebel XT Upgrade Thoughts  (Read 3481 times)

Alexandros

Re: 350D/Rebel XT Upgrade Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »
Depending on how you are as a person you might regret that, even if the 5d2 is enough for your needs, you didn't go for the latest version...

Ok I am convinced! I ll go for the full frame of course! And I think a 5dII is what I really need. But this phrase from Enrico really is how I think ! You got me Enrico...  ;D
I think I will regret for getting a MK2 and not the MK3 thats why I am so skeptical.
If the MK2 had 1/2 of the money of the MK3 I would have gone for the MK2 no mater what...
now I am borderlining...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 06:33:44 PM »
Depending on how you are as a person you might regret that, even if the 5d2 is enough for your needs, you didn't go for the latest version...

Ok I am convinced! I ll go for the full frame of course! And I think a 5dII is what I really need. But this phrase from Enrico really is how I think ! You got me Enrico...  ;D
I think I will regret for getting a MK2 and not the MK3 thats why I am so skeptical.
If the MK2 had 1/2 of the money of the MK3 I would have gone for the MK2 no mater what...
now I am borderlining...

Just my $0.02 --  I got the 5DII and haven't looked back.  I use it primarily for taking family photos. I only use the center AF point. When I am working with shallow dof, I don't want the camera choosing what to focus on. My impression based on what I've read here is that the 5DIII isn't going to be a whole lot better if you're using 1 shot AF with the center point.

You do have a respectable collection of glass, but there's no such thing as too much. If you picked up a 5DII, you could pick up an extra lens for your landscapes and/or a decent flash.

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »
Hi Alexandros

I also bought a Canon 350D / Rebel XT in 2005, and have used that for over 80,000 photos. It's still working... despite being displaying a little 'wear and tear'! :)  The main genres of photography that I do include: landscape, wildlife, macro, 'camps' (eg children activities).  So for me, the 350D let me down at times with its speed and focus (only dared to use centre AF point for reliability), but I still have many many great photos from it - across many countries too.

In 2009 I bought a 7D, and haven't looked back. For me, the biggest improvements included: much better AF, quality handling, live view (for macros, etc), higher ISO possibilities. I have been very happy with the crop sensor equivalent ultra-wide zooms (I have a Sigma 10-20mm, and have used a Canon 10-22mm - both very good lenses!)  My Sigma 10-20mm is sharp corner to corner (just one stop from wide open), which some full frame ultra wide zooms can't seem to replicate!  ::)

I was considering the 5D and 5DmkII, and for sure I would have better image quality (particulalry noticeable if one is a pixel-peeper, which I'm not) but I decided to go with the 7D for it's better AF, APS-C (1.6x crop) reach, and imho, superior handling.

By the way, the 7D (and any APS-C camera) CAN do great landscapes, I believe most photos are indistinguisable to 99% at the 'non-pixel peeping level'. I have received a lot of recognition, produced fund-raising images and won competitions with photos from both my 350D and 7D.  8)

If you're happy with the focus-recompose, as others have suggested, perhaps the 5DmkII sounds good, with an ultra wide zoom (eg 17-40mm or 16-35mm). Both those lenses improve (especially corners) when stopped down. However if I was in your shoes, I would also consider the 5DmkIII, for its superior AF and better handling (and buy an ultra wide zoom later).  If I ever went full frame, that would probably be the Canon DSLR I would go for, as I do need a more powerful AF system than the 5DmkII offers - and yes, I've used one.

The options are out there... and you have some decent glass already. All the best with your decision and purchase.    ;)

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

dooboo

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »
Crop or ff, they both take grat picture.  However, even pj1974 said it..."for sure I would have better image quality..." this is from 7d user. 

They are for sure upgrade from xt...which my xt will be used by my 7 year old son...no matter which way you go.  Just consider what type of picture you will take, which you mentioned, and go for the most bang for your bucks.

For me, IQ of 5dm2 won me over the crop sensor.  Still I can take some great pictures using xt...

Enrico

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 04:06:16 AM »
For a few of us happy amateurs/enthusiasts we simply want good (if not the best affordable) gear. The journey of searching for the optimal body and lens combination is a part of the hobby I guess.

But to be honest regarding the photos and how we (or at least myself) are using them... Well, once the 350D was worn out, a new 600D would probably been enough and other money wiser spent on good glass...

I produce family albums and a few larger prints each year. That's it. I have had the 5D2 for 5 months and although the IQ  is superior - my best shots are still from the 350D and kit-lens! Simply because imho it's the moment that counts and not the gear you brought... but know I know that the IQ, ISO-capabilities has given me better probablity of capturing moments when they appear (and if the gear is with me...)

However, for me as a hobby photographer (spending too much time on this site) I can not dismiss the fact that the actual gear I buy and use makes a difference, and I know by now that the difference is in my mind and not in the images I shoot.

I decided to go for the 5d2 (couldn't wait any longer for the 5D3) and promised myself that if and when the 5D3 would be released I would get that if I wanted. Now when it's out there, I am not so sure anymore (even though I have saved the monies for it).

And here comes the catch.
I have saved money for the 5D3. I have promised myself to buy it - but now I am hestitant. ONLY because I still feel I should have waited a few more months... :)

The same reasoning went behind the purchase of the 85/1.2L II or the Sigma 85/1.4.
I went for the Canon, knowing the Sigma would be more than sufficient for my needs. Now I have the Canon, I smile at it every time when I mount it (having been the Sigma I would always have thought of the Canon... and told myself... well, at least you saved xxx $)

Why do some (including me) buy shirts for 150$ when there are shirts for 30$ that would keep me warm and hide my upper body? The list of stupid-western-world-must-have items goes on...

Note! In areas where I consider myself a professional, or at least alot more than a hobby user, I never go for the new and expensive tools. In those cases I get what's good enough to get the job done. And this is how I think alot of people in this forum are reasoning. You are pros, and you will get the job done with the tools you find neccessary. Myself, well... I want to capture good images, sure. But in this hobby one factor has always been just knowing I have good gear (that I have read about the past 5 years on the internetz...).

Call me stupid, tell me I need a shrink :) I am just being honest and hopefully I put some light on some feelings other fellow amateurs might share with me...

You ask for advice - and here it goes.

- Get the 5D3 and you will not regret it!

- Get the 5D2 and start practising a phrase to tell yourself, friends, other photo amateurs etc on how clever this purchase was every time that 5D3-regret pops into your mind.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:16:13 PM by Enrico »

untitled10

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »

To start I will present you all (?) the alternatives I have as of now:
a)Buy the 7D now
b)Buy the 5D II now
c)Buy the 5D3 now
d)Wait for a 7D II (70D or 7D replacement anyway)
e)Sell all my glass and jump over the D800 train to start over (ouch!)
f)Wait for ... whatever

g) used 1D4 - all the extra function, none of the problems

Nothing like a 1.3 times crop factor for landscapes....

Alexandros

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »
I couldn't agree more with what you say Enrico...
That's how I feel...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
When I am working with shallow dof, I don't want the camera choosing what to focus on.

So go manual focus or chose a focus point manually and then only use that one for autofocus. I dont really understand the problem.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »