September 16, 2014, 08:05:50 PM

Author Topic: I still don't get the crop debate  (Read 10283 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: I still don't get the crop debate
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 10:18:31 PM »
Any "conflict," "problem," "dilemma" exists only in the overactive imaginations of persons posting on this site.

I just did a quick check of the Amazon best sellers. In one form or another (with lens, without lens, with other gizmos, etc) the 60D is listed in six slots in the top 100 best sellers for DSLRs. The 7D in various forms has four slots in the top 100. The 7D has been in the top 100 for 952 days, the 60D for 587 days. Both roughly for the entire time they have been available.

Canon knows what they are doing. They have slotted these models precisely where they wanted them to be and it has been very successful. Why would they screw with that success?

There will be a 7DII that fits in the top of the line of the APS-C bodies and about 9 months after the 7DII there will most likely be a 70D that slots just above the Rebels. It is what Canon does and it's what Nikon does with its APS-C models as well. They do it because it's smart business and its working.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is the fixation some people have with thinking they know more about marketing than Canon does.

Case closed. Move on people.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 10:18:31 PM »

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2012, 03:46:41 AM »
Canon knows what they are doing. They have slotted these models precisely where they wanted them to be and it has been very successful. Why would they screw with that success?

There will be a 7DII that fits in the top of the line of the APS-C bodies and about 9 months after the 7DII there will most likely be a 70D that slots just above the Rebels. It is what Canon does and it's what Nikon does with its APS-C models as well. They do it because it's smart business and its working.

& that, as they say, is that. The only open end I can see on the horizon is what they're going to call the bloody things once they run out of numbers i.e. after 90D & 950D.

Musouka

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2012, 04:58:40 AM »

& that, as they say, is that. The only open end I can see on the horizon is what they're going to call the bloody things once they run out of numbers i.e. after 90D & 950D.

10DX & 100DX  ;D

liberace

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »
yes, no argument there;  I just don't quite understand the need for three distinct 1.6x product lines.  Even from the marketing perspective they've forced themselves into corner, imho, because it would be silly to have both a 70D and a 7D.  My guess is that forcing this corner was no accident at the time, lets not forget that this decision was made probably 4 years ago.

But while we're speculating... consider that the 7D could be a marketing experiment, to test the acceptance of a premium 1.6x body, which we all recognize the naming convention suggests.  7D was either  successful or it was not:

If 7D was successful,  it either hurt xxD sales or it didn't.  If it hurt xxD sales, then Canon will likely merge the two lines into one, and they have a marketing decision as to what to call it, but odds are that 7D would win.  If it did not hurt xxD sales, then Canon has a real dilemma,  to effectively position both lines and name them something without conflict.

if 7D was not successful, then they just drop it, and focus on the xxD as the premium 1.6 body. CR -1 here of course I have no data to back this up;  just engaging in amusing speculation.

Eh? Think on this for a second. Would you ever write "If the 1Dx hurts 5D Mark III sales, then it is not a success." ?

Of course not. In no way, shape or form would Canon view a sale of a 1Dx over a 5D Mark III as a bad thing. They've upsold the customer to a more expensive model. It's exactly the same with the 7D and 60D. Canon would view the sale of a 7D over a 60D as a success, not a failure.

The mind boggles on what some people come up with to be honest.  :o

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »
I do acknowledge that even on on a rumors board  may be difficult to distinguish between amusing speculation or even overactive imagination :-).  But this is a rumors board -- where speculation about things unknown is acceptable.  If the speculation that 7D might have been a marketing experiment is too astonishing, or if there is some rule that speculation has to be accompanied by a certain reverence for a company that always anticipates the market correctly and never balances volume with margin to maximize profit, then peace be unto you.   I was only implying that not all up-sells make more profit, and that companies do look at sales data to evaluate their product line strategy. 

not everyone on a rumors board posts because they think they are right or to convince others of the same.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »