October 20, 2014, 07:48:26 AM

Author Topic: CANON U.S.A. INTRODUCES EOS-1D C DIGITAL SLR CAMERA FEATURING 4K HIGH-RESOLUTION VIDEO CAPTURE  (Read 19291 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors

CANON U.S.A. INTRODUCES EOS-1D C DIGITAL SLR CAMERA FEATURING 4K HIGH-RESOLUTION VIDEO CAPTURE

Newest Addition to the Canon Cinema EOS Product Line Combines the Convenient Form Factor of a Digital SLR Camera with Full HD and 4K Video Recording up to 4096 x 2160-Pixel Resolution

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., April 12, 2012 – Continually advancing the frontiers of digital high-resolution motion-image capture for film, television, and other industries, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the EOS-1D C digital single-lens reflex (SLR) camera.* Delivering outstanding video performance, the compact, lightweight EOS-1D C provides video recording at 4K (4096 x 2160-pixel) or Full HD (1920 x 1080-pixel) resolution to support high-end motion picture, television production and other advanced imaging applications.

Equipped with an 18.1-megapixel full-frame 24mm x 36mm Canon CMOS sensor, the camera records 8-bit 4:2:2 Motion JPEG 4K video to the camera’s CF memory card at 24 frames-per-second (fps) or Full HD 1920 x 1080 video at selectable frame rates from 24p to 60p, making it possible for next-generation visual expression with even higher image-quality and resolution performance.

“The Canon EOS-1D C digital SLR camera was designed in response to the needs of filmmakers, television producers, and other high-level motion-imaging professionals,” stated Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A. “Not only does it combine 4K and Full HD video capture with a convenient design, its use of dual CF cards also offers an efficient workflow compatible with today’s post-production requirements.”

Creative Control

The Canon EOS-1D C digital SLR camera incorporates Canon Log Gamma to enable the recording of high-quality video with rich gradation expression, making possible the type of impressive image quality required in motion pictures by maximizing both highlight and shadow detail retention while also providing a high level of color-grading freedom. The EOS-1D C’s full-frame 24 x 36mm 18.1-megapixel Canon CMOS sensor makes possible a wide range of creative imaging expression, such as image-blur effects. Additional features include an expanded sensitivity range of up to ISO 25600 for exceptional motion-imaging results with reduced noise even in low-light settings. The camera’s ability to record 8-bit 4:2:2 4K and 8-bit 4:2:0 Full HD video to CF cards eliminates the need for an external recorder and enables workflows with increased mobility. If desired, however, captured video (excluding 4K video) can be output from the camera’s HDMI terminal to an external recorder using an uncompressed YCbCr 8-bit 4:2:2 signal.

4K video is captured by an approximately APS-H-sized portion of the full image sensor, while Full HD video can be captured in the user’s choice of two different imaging formats:

The standard Full HD setting captures the full 36mm width of the CMOS sensor to achieve the largest possible angle of view for any compatible lens.

An optional Super 35 crop setting enables cinematographers to match the industry-standard imaging format and angle of view achieved by traditional motion picture cameras. This enables video footage from the EOS-1D C camera to more closely match the look of footage from other cameras in multi-camera shooting environments.

Other useful video-related features on the EOS-1D C DSLR include a built-in headphone jack for real-time audio monitoring, and the ability to view the camera’s LCD even when the HDMI port is connected to an external monitor. The EOS-1D C camera uses the same LP-E4N battery pack as the EOS-1D X, and it can also be powered by an optional AC Adapter Kit.

The EOS-1D C camera ships with Canon software applications including EOS Utility, which enables various camera settings to be adjusted from a PC, and Picture Style Editor. These two personal computer applications enable users to view the camera’s live output on an external monitor1 and adjust the image in real-time to maximize shooting and post-production efficiencies. The software also ensures no loss of quality for 4K/Motion JPEG and full HD/60p video displayed on the external monitor, and it enables video shot with Canon Log Gamma to be output on the monitor with video gamma applied.

Versatility and Value

The Canon EOS-1D C camera can be used to capture still images with more than 60 interchangeable Canon EF and EF Cinema Lenses, all of which are designed to deliver exceptional image quality to maximize the potential for creative visual expression. The compact size and lightweight design of the camera make it easy to carry so it is highly mobile for convenient shooting inside automobiles and other confined spaces. Its compact size also enables peripheral equipment such as rails and cranes to be more compact, which can facilitate smoother handling and reduced costs on-set. The camera’s low-light capabilities can also help to minimize lighting costs and increase versatility for lighting. For added usability, record start/stop can be remotely controlled by EOS Utility Software via an optional Canon WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter.

Realizing the same exceptional still-image performance as the recently introduced Canon EOS-1D X digital SLR camera, the camera provides a sensitivity range of ISO 100-51200 for outstanding still-image results with reduced noise, even in dimly lit settings. Incorporating high-performance Canon Dual DIGIC 5+ image processors, the EOS-1D C delivers high-precision AF and AE performance while also enabling high-speed continuous shooting of up to approximately 12 fps. In the ultra-fast continuous shooting mode, the EOS-1D C provides a continuous shooting speed of up to approximately 14 fps (mirror remains raised during shooting; JPEG images only).

The Canon EOS-1D C digital SLR camera is scheduled to be available within 2012 at a suggested retail price of $15,000.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:29:10 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
18 MP sensor - same as the 1D X.

Basically, seems to be a 1D X with minor changes - headphone port instead of flash sync connector, supposedly better heat management, and obviously different firmware.  Oh, and that red "C" on the front.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
18 MP sensor - same as the 1D X.

Basically, seems to be a 1D X with minor changes - headphone port instead of flash sync connector, supposedly better heat management, and obviously different firmware.  Oh, and that red "C" on the front.   :P

Yes... I'm into video.. Mostly because the 1DII didn't have video of any kind... Should be released in October... Riiiiight.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Well I'll be the first to say, I was completely wrong about this thing.  Is Canon ever going to make a camera in the $5k-$7k range?  It's a huge market!  I don't understand why they left all the high-end still features on board, I mean there are so many awesome cameras out there, hell you could get 2 FS700's for this, WTF Canon?

I predicted that they would take a 1DX body, pull out all the still stuff, and add the 4K sensor.  Instead they took a 1DX, left all the photo features, and added 4K and new video features.  But still $15k for a DSLR BODY!?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:47:34 AM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

transpo1

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
The anger of the Canon video team obviously overpowered the Cinema EOS team...the rivers are running red with blood  ;)

Chad

So 1080p is 4:2:0? 4k 4:2:2.... But no option other than 24fps? Comes in around the same price as the c300. To me it seems like they're missing the target somehow.

I've got about $8k burning a hole in my pocket and all I want is something like the little sister to the c300. Don't need 4k. Just a somewhat affordable, interchangeable lens, large sensor video camera that doesn't look like a giant brick like the Sony FS700!

Still hoping there's a C100 to be announced. :p

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
So 1080p is 4:2:0? 4k 4:2:2.... But no option other than 24fps? Comes in around the same price as the c300. To me it seems like they're missing the target somehow.

I've got about $8k burning a hole in my pocket and all I want is something like the little sister to the c300. Don't need 4k. Just a somewhat affordable, interchangeable lens, large sensor video camera that doesn't look like a giant brick like the Sony FS700!

Still hoping there's a C100 to be announced. :p

I mean there has to be at some point, this is ridiculous.  It seems impossible that Canon just doesn't realize that so many people want a $5k-$10k video DSLR, there has to be SOMETHING in the works.  I know so many people holding out for something in that range, and here we get stuck with another $15k body, wtf. 

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
It seems impossible that Canon just doesn't realize that so many people want a $5k-$10k video DSLR...

It's called the 1D X.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
It's called the 1D X.

I'm talking about a camera specifically released and marketed as a video camera.  I can't imagine the 1DX being significantly better for video than the 5DIII, I want a bigger improvement than that without having to pay for 12fps, AF and all that other crap.

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
Price is a bit dubious and way too close for the C300, not what I was expecting, and I can't get my head around the 1D C, it looks so weird! Glad I didn't hold out, and got my 5D III :)

Edit: Sorry from behind it looks just like a 1D, the photo on the front page made it look like the back of it was extremely odd, but that's the rear of the C500.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:12:03 AM by samueljay »
Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Now if Canon only announced a high MP 1DxS studio camera the lineup would be complete again, from photo to video ..

gene_can_sing

$15,000 for a 1D-C?

This was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had about $8K to spend, but this is way too much. I guess I have to go the Sony FS-100 route, since the 5D3 was so disappointing for video res.

I can't believe Canon let us down yet again for video. This is too much to handle.

Canon does NOT listen to their customers, and the video people who want a camera between $4K to $8K are left hanging AGAIN!

gene_can_sing

and NO FLIP SCREEN? WTF? That's close to the number 1 request from video people!

The whole point of a DSLR is freedom from using an external monitor when you don't have to, and that's why a flip screen is priceless.

Start listening Canon. It will sell you a lot more cameras. As for me, I'm being forced now into the Sony camp where the prices are much more reasonable and they are a company that listens. Thank God for the Metabones adaptor so I can use all my EOS lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Wow. I came here expecting people to be excited. Instead, everybody seems to hate it. Just what did you guys expect in terms of pricing for a 4k camera? Is there a cheaper 4k camera on the market with a large sensor?

This is aimed at the pro market. Those who can't afford it probably don't need more than what the Mk III offers. They want more, but really, they don't need more.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
and NO FLIP SCREEN? WTF? That's close to the number 1 request from video people!

The whole point of a DSLR is freedom from using an external monitor when you don't have to, and that's why a flip screen is priceless.

Start listening Canon. It will sell you a lot more cameras. As for me, I'm being forced now into the Sony camp where the prices are much more reasonable and they are a company that listens. Thank God for the Metabones adaptor so I can use all my EOS lenses.

That feature is barely in the top 10 of features people wanted to see, according to the EOSHD poll.

canon rumors FORUM