October 24, 2014, 03:01:29 PM

Author Topic: Canon Mirrorless [CR1]  (Read 19347 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Mirrorless [CR1]
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »

Canon Mirrorless next week?

I received an email this AM stating that Canon will announce the Canon QL-D1 mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.

There were no specs or any other information given.

CR’s Take

This is the first mirrorless information I have been given in months. If there’s an announcement coming next week, I can’t see this being all that gets sent my way.

The model name given is nostalgic and creative.

“QL” was used by the Canonet, a film rangefinder that didn’t have interchangeable lenses.

*UPDATE* A reader wrote in and gave me a bit of a history lesson (I love em). “QL” actually stood for Quick Load. As in how film was loaded into the camera. There was also an FT-QL SLR. Thanks!

“D1″ is a model used by Epson with their digital rangefinder the R-D1 and RD1x.

So while a creative little bit of information, I am going to say it’s highly unlikely. It would be so great if it were true.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Mirrorless [CR1]
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Mirrorless [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:03:35 PM »
I don't really care too much about the mirrorless systems that are all the rage now. But Canon would be foolish not to release something along these lines.

But I sometimes I could see how it would be nice to have a great small walking around camera.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »
I agree with your assessment: just another attention seeker fishing in the hope of a bite. 

Why do people bother with this sort of thing? It does amaze me how someone can get a thrill out of unimaginative, well... Lying is what it boils down to.  True hoaxes should have an entertainment factor that the people who are hoaxed can actually enjoy when the truth is revealed. 

Having said all this, I'm not entirely sure if some of what CR gets sent isn't deliberate mis-information and market research from Canon itself, partly to muddy the waters in case there is a real leak and also to gauge reaction to proposed specifications of future models (probably a long way off). 

P.S. I had a go on someone's NEX5 today: beautifully built, but the 18-55mm is too big for the body and the controls were a bit fiddly.  The first criticism would be alleviated with a couple more primes; as for the second, I'm sure one could get used to it.  It's a shame that Sony didn't put just one or two more buttons on the body, there's plenty of 'real estate' available. 

jonne

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »
This mirrorless thing is just a fad, like the Internet. Canon is smarter than that.

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 02:06:22 PM »
This would be a great camera, but Canon would never build it.

Something like a Leica M9, with simple film style controls, and short primes (NO ZOOMS) would be a good seller at a reasonable price.

ms

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
i agree that a reasonably priced and more modern (screen, live view, and perhaps an EVF that gets around the macro/tele limitations of an RF finder) M9 type camera would be awesome but I just don't see canon going that way... they are not going to risk cannibalizing sales of any of their SLRs... there are some rumors of nikon putting out a high-end mirrorless in the not to distant future... I think that's more likely though I do still hope against all odds that Canon do something remarkable for a change

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »
But I sometimes I could see how it would be nice to have a great small walking around camera.

PowerShot S95.  Reasonable zoom range, shoots RAW, fits in the pocket of my jeans.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »

PowerShot S95.  Reasonable zoom range, shoots RAW, fits in the pocket of my jeans.

I've actually looked at that camera before for that purpose.
It's more pricey than I'd like. For $400 I lug my 7D around.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Flake

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 04:03:03 PM »
If Canon do produce a mirrorless camera, I wonder if it will take the existing EF lenses, that would make it attractive to exising users.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »

I had a similar thought.  But I balanced that against the shots I would continue to miss because I didn't lug along the 7D and a lens or two, and also the fact that while expensive, it's cheaper than most of the lenses I'd want to use on a dSLR, and decided to get it. 

SIdebar, but the final straw was a trip up to New Hampshire where we went on a family outing to some glacial caves, with names like "Eye of the Needle" and "Lemon Crush".  I had a backpack with my 7D and 3 lenses in it, and came very, very close to getting irrevocably stuck in one of those caves!  With the S95, I never have to say, hmmmm...should I really bring along the 5DII or the 7D...it's going to be really inconvenient on this outing, but what shots will I miss without a camera, short of relying on my iPhone?  The S95 produces some great images for it's size, especially once I started using DxO, which does a much better job at reducing the noise inherent to the smaller sensor, compared to DPP. 

The other rationale for the S95 is as an emergency backup camera - most times when go out shooting, I am not taking both the 5DII and the 7D.  If I'm on a long trip, what happens if the dSLR goes belly up?  The S95 adds virtually no weight or bulk to the backpack full of camera gear, and gives me a backup camera, just in case.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
If Canon do produce a mirrorless camera, I wonder if it will take the existing EF lenses, that would make it attractive to exising users.

Native, it would be unlikely.  As it would result in a body that is easily twice as deep as it needs to be.

However an adapter, be it first party or third, would be logical.

jacrow

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
I'd love to see Canon produce a FF range finder to compete with the Leica M9 that I can't afford. My first "serious" camera was a Yashica rangefinder and I learned so much from it. Having something similar for street photography that is inconspicuous would be great. At least until I can afford a Leica.

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »

I had a similar thought.  But I balanced that against the shots I would continue to miss because I didn't lug along the 7D and a lens or two, and also the fact that while expensive, it's cheaper than most of the lenses I'd want to use on a dSLR, and decided to get it...

You make good points. It is a topic I'd like to revisit when perhaps I'm making more money as a photography. I'm just trying to build more business and EF glass right now.

I think a good FF range finder would be great. But I will never happen. I don't think there is that much market for it just because it would have to be expensive, being FF. I have found myself wanting the 8 Grand to drop on a Leica M9.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 05:52:48 PM »

You make good points. It is a topic I'd like to revisit when perhaps I'm making more money as a photography. I'm just trying to build more business and EF glass right now.

I think a good FF range finder would be great. But I will never happen. I don't think there is that much market for it just because it would have to be expensive, being FF. I have found myself wanting the 8 Grand to drop on a Leica M9.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there: the market for rangefinders is very limited - basically to serious enthusiasts and a small number of pros.  Even with film, rangefinders very quickly gave way to SLRs in the mainstream market.
That doesn't change the fact that for my compact camera requirements, I would be better served with a rangefinder than a camera like the G11.
Incidentally, I would even be very happy with a rangefinder with an APS-C sensor.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

J-Man

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 01:57:33 AM »
they are not going to risk cannibalizing sales of any of their SLRs...
They won't any more than the current situation, if someone wants a mirror-less camera they will get one,
if they were not going to buy my(if I were Canon) dslr I'd want the customer to buy my mirror-less vs. the other guys.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 01:57:33 AM »