September 16, 2014, 11:58:41 AM

Author Topic: Canon Mirrorless [CR1]  (Read 19146 times)

jhpeterson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Mirrorless [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 08:26:07 PM »
I've been a Canon user since the late '70s, moved over to the EOS-1 system twenty years ago and have been completely digital the past six.  These days I use 1DS and 1D bodies almost exclusively, but could appreciate a somewhat smaller and lighter camera to carry around for casual photography situations. 
A few years back I had a Powershot Pro 1, which almost answered my needs.  But, I would have liked faster response, more accurate focusing and definitely a larger sensor.  I've owned a couple QL-17s over the years and used them as take-anywhere cameras.  It's about the right size for me, as the point-and-shoot models have always felt too small, especially in their controls. 
It would be a great idea if Canon brought back the QL name in a mirrorless model, and even nicer if they could fit an APS-C sensor in it along with interchangle, fast and hopefully "L-quality" glass, though I'd probably still buy it in four-thirds configuration.  Nice, too, if they could keep controls intuitive, simple and large enough for those of us who are mostly thumbs.
1D iii (x2), 1DS iii (x3), 6D, 16-35L ii, 24-105L, 70-200L IS ii, 24/3.5 TS-E, 40/2.8 STM, 50/2.5, 100/2.8L IS, 135/2L, 300/2.8L, 500/4L IS, 430EX II, EF 1.4x ii, EF 2x iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 08:26:07 PM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 02:08:26 PM »
I think an issue for me is cost and control.
I just watch a review for the GH2 and it has a touch screen on the back. Blah. I actually have some hope for Nikon's EVIL because it suppose to be geared more toward the pro. Hopefully dual control wheels and some nobs. I don't care if it looks ugly.

I think EVIL camera's can be fine but everyone except Leica seems to be pointing their brands at the casual user.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

ELK

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 02:15:25 PM »
...everyone except Leica seems to be pointing their brands at the casual user.

and also Fujifilm.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 07:25:30 PM »
I just watch a review for the GH2 and it has a touch screen on the back. Blah. I actually have some hope for Nikon's EVIL because it suppose to be geared more toward the pro. Hopefully dual control wheels and some nobs. I don't care if it looks ugly.

I think EVIL camera's can be fine but everyone except Leica seems to be pointing their brands at the casual user.

And the problem with that is? Leica are producing digital cameras that are consistent with the film cameras that they produced. So to are Canon and Nikon.

It is not proper to judge what Leica does by what Canon/Nikon do, nor expect Leica to do as they do.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 07:29:20 PM »
...everyone except Leica seems to be pointing their brands at the casual user.

and also Fujifilm.

Fuji X-100 is not in the same league as Leica M9. X-100 is with a fixed lens and APS-H snsor. M9 is FF with interchangeable lens.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 11:40:43 PM »
I really want a Canon mirrorless camera with fast AF.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 06:46:33 AM »

And the problem with that is? Leica are producing digital cameras that are consistent with the film cameras that they produced. So to are Canon and Nikon.

It is not proper to judge what Leica does by what Canon/Nikon do, nor expect Leica to do as they do.

I didn't say there was a problem with it. I was simply stating that fact.
I'm not sure what your point was...
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 06:46:33 AM »

fred_jb

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
I've been wanting a small camera for a while, having wearied of lugging a large Canon DSLR (currently 7D) and lenses around on the off-chance of getting some good photo opportunities. The Canon is great for sports and for taking on pre-planned photo trips or outings, and also on holiday, but just not sensible for more casual use.

I first bought a Panasonic LX5 which I thought I could share with my wife and replace her aging but still good Fuji F30. However, even though this is about as good as compact cameras get, I was still not happy with the image quality, especially if any editing was required. The wife is also unimpressed as she finds the Fuji perfectly adequate and simpler to use.

I've given up on waiting for Canon's offering in this fast growing market,  and I was quite interested in the Samsung NX10 because of the APS-C size sensor and the range of lenses available.  However, I'd been put off by some adverse comments and lukewarm reviews but collected a lot of samples online and was generally impressed. I then tried out a few cameras in this class the other day and found the NX10 to be exactly what I was after. I don't mind that it looks like a shrunken DSLR because in essence that is exactly what I want.

I also didn't mind that it came with a flash and viewfinder neatly built-in, unlike the expensive and fiddly add-ons needed for other brands like the Micro 4/3rds and the NEX range. I also wanted a compact lens with a near normal focal length and the Panasonic 30mm f/2 (45mm equiv) meets that need, and has gotten some very good reviews. Non of the other brands seem to offer an exact equivalent to this.  The clincher was some of the excellent deals on the NX10 now that the NX11 is almost here.

I've taken a few shots around the house with all three lenses and I'm quite amazed at the quality. All three lenses seem very sharp and noise is very well controlled up to ISO 800. Focusing speed is very quick - just not an issue. It really is above expectations and I'm looking forward to taking it outdoors, given some decent daylight, which has been very elusive around here so far this year.

I would say I could recommend this to anyone wanting a a backup to their DSLR or even as an only camera. Sitting it side by side with my 7D, given the size difference, it is hard to believe that they have the same size sensor - at least until you see the photos!

I think Canon and Nikon are going to have to get on board with this very soon or Panasonic, Samsung, etc, are going to eat their lunch.

Fred

match14

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 07:39:26 AM »
I tried an EPL-1 the other day and quite liked it, I really hope Canon brings something mirror-less soon.

jhpeterson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 06:27:30 PM »
I've been a Canon user since the late '70s, moved over to the EOS-1 system twenty years ago and have been completely digital the past six.  These days I use 1DS and 1D bodies almost exclusively, but could appreciate a somewhat smaller and lighter camera to carry around for casual photography situations. 
A few years back I had a Powershot Pro 1, which almost answered my needs.  But, I would have liked faster response, more accurate focusing and definitely a larger sensor.  I've owned a couple QL-17s over the years and used them as take-anywhere cameras.  It's about the right size for me, as the point-and-shoot models have always felt too small, especially in their controls. 
It would be a great idea if Canon brought back the QL name in a mirrorless model, and even nicer if they could fit an APS-C sensor in it along with interchangable, fast and hopefully "L-quality" glass, though I'd probably still buy it in four-thirds configuration.  Nice, too, if they could keep controls intuitive, simple and large enough for those of us who are mostly thumbs.
Thought I'd "refresh" my first post on here, now that Canon has announced the G1X. It's certainly a giant step forward with the APS-C size sensor. Now, if only they'd put in some fast "L" glass!
1D iii (x2), 1DS iii (x3), 6D, 16-35L ii, 24-105L, 70-200L IS ii, 24/3.5 TS-E, 40/2.8 STM, 50/2.5, 100/2.8L IS, 135/2L, 300/2.8L, 500/4L IS, 430EX II, EF 1.4x ii, EF 2x iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 06:27:30 PM »