October 23, 2014, 08:01:07 AM

Author Topic: I am done with B&H  (Read 8874 times)

roumin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I am done with B&H
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
I purhcased most of camera gear from B&H untill I placed my preorder for 5D3 a day after it appeared on their website.  Communication was slow with no real answers from customer service and I would still be waiting for my camera if I stuck with them.

After someone posted on this website that Kenmore Camera in Washington had some stock of the body only package, I called them and I liked the family/small feel I got.  I placed me order and received confirmation and tracking number within the hour and my camera was in my hand 2 days later.  When I called B&H to cancel my order, the rep had a rude tone and asked me which camera store had stock as if he did not believe me.

Yesterday, I decided to buy the new canon 600Ex plus the Canon ST-E3-RT wireless commander, so I gave Kenmore Camera a call and they had both items - I asked them to match B&H pricing and they did.  The rep told me they're not big enough to match the free shipping, but I did not mind paying an extra $20 for shipping.  Anyway, I received my shipping notice within the hour and my stuff is on a UPS truck for delivery today.  B&H has the Canon ST-E3-RT listed as pre-order item!

I guess I am just venting about B&H and sharing my positive experiance with my new found camera store.  I am not affiliated nor getting anything from Kenmore Camera to write this.

Last week I was visting NYC and decided to visit B&H store for the first time and while I was impressed of how busy the store was, I sensed an unwelcoming attitude and one dude told me I couldn't take photos inside the store.  Maybe its just the normal tone of New Yorkers, but I have to say it's kind funny that I couldn't take photos inside a Photo store.

While I never say never, B&H is no longer my primary source of Photography gear.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:44:30 AM by roumin »

canon rumors FORUM

I am done with B&H
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »

wookiee2cu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: I am done with B&H
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
The biggest problem is that Canon has not taken the correct measures to make sure a major retailer like B&H gets sufficient shipments.  I placed my pre-order with B&H about 30 minutes after it was announced on the night of 3-1.  I was lucky enough to get my camera within the first wave of shipments considering how many folks did the same thing.  It seemed as though the stores on the west coast got their deliveries before stores on the east coast which makes sense if you thing about it.  The cameras are shipped to the west coast (shortest travel) and from there they are trucked/flown eastward.  I live in Bellevue WA (part of the Seattle area) and Kenmore Camera is the store I go to for local purchases.  They are good people and I've never had a problem with them but I saved $300 in sales tax by ordering out of state.  I had two different opportunities to buy the camera from them before my B&H order showed up but it just wasn't worth it to me to pay the sales tax.  You can't really blame B&H for the lack of inventory, that is all on Canon but you can blame them for their attitude.  I've made about 20 purchases with B&H and never had a problem, I still have a pre-order in with them for the BG-E11 grip.  As it stands now it seems it's becoming more difficult to get your hands on one as there are waiting lists at most stores.  My uncle is friends with a camera store owner on the east coast and he told him that they do get sporadic shipments in but it is typically just a few so it makes it hard to make the waiting list smaller but they are doing their best. 

unadog

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
I have been a B&H customer for 30+ years.

I also got a lot of static (sh*t) when I cancelled my 5D3 preorder.  In my case, I told them truthfully that I had only placed 1 pre-order - at B&H - and that I was not buying the 5D3, but keeping my Nikon D800E preorder that I also had with B&H!

The rep went on and on about how not to buy based only on price, etc.  It really was annoying!   :-[

I am sure they are frustrated that they don't have more cameras too. But that, coupled with the currrent shutdown through April 15, really puts them in a bad position on the 5D3.

I hope they have someone in receiveing and shipping 5D3's this week and last? If not, the pre-order customers are really screwed!

In the past, I ordered some major items with Dodd Camera and Dodd Pro in Chicago. I ordered a Broncolor Para 220 reflector at somewheee around $4,000, and they offered to match the B&H price. I insisted on paying a couple of hundred dollars MORE than the B&H price, as I appreciate the great service they have given me in the past, and I want them to continue to provide that great service!

The same is true of Midwest Prhoto Exchange (mpex.com) in Coloumbus, Ohio.

No affiliation with either - just a very happy customer who appreciates ther great service! In fact Stu at Midwest gave me his home phone number when he thought I need to pick up an Epson printer on Thanksgiving day, and offered to come in to the shop! In fact, the Friday after Thanksgiving was soon enough, but that really impressed me at the time!  :o ;D

Michael

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »
It's your choice but I think it is your loss also.

djcrispy

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:51:22 PM »
I'm also done with them: but not for their response to my cancelling my MarkIII order -- they were fine about that.

But because I ordered a 50mm f/1.2, they shipped it, and it had a huge crack in one of the lens pieces!  I had to mail it back, and the shipping to me wasn't reimbursed.  Apparently, they state emphatically that they never open the boxes of photo equipment. 

So a lot of wasted time/energy on my part.

From now on, it's brick/mortar stores for me:  plenty of stock, plenty of knowledgable staff, and you can open the box and double-check before you walk out of the store!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
Kenmore Camera is a fine company.  We also have a gread local dealer, and Glaziers camera is good too.  B&H is pretty good, but for new models, I've always received mine from Adorama quickly.

B&H is a victim of their success.  So many were referred to them that they were swamped and did not get nearly enough cameras to fill orders.  That puts them in a tough situation.  Likewise for Amazon.com, I avoid them for orders of popular new cameras as well.

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »
There are lots of choices out there and you can shop where ever you want to, but I think a lot of people are taking the 5DMKIII launch a little overboard/personal with regards to B&H.  They are not perfect, but I don't think anything I've really heard from people regarding the MKIII have warranted the "I'm never shopping with B&H again" response.  I get that it's frustrating and seemed weird that they were one of the last "big boys" to get them, but it happens.  I bought a new field monitor last year from one of my dealers(I asked my dealer about it before it was released and received it as soon as they came off the boat) and B&H didn't have it for probably a month after that.  As far as the MKIII goes, I called them on "release day" (3/22) because I was going to change my shipping and was told I wasn't going to make the first shipment.  The rep was polite and we both had a good laugh about it.  I looked on their site and the kits were available for sale, so I ordered the kit and had it shipped for Friday delivery.  After I received it and checked it out, I cancelled my 'body only' pre-order and it was no problem. Of course they didn't lose a sale, they actually got an 'up-sale'.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »

JerryBruck

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 05:07:14 PM »

Last week I was visiting NYC and decided to visit B&H store for the first time and while I was impressed of how busy the store was, I sensed an unwelcoming attitude and one dude told me I couldn't take photos inside the store.  Maybe its just the normal tone of New Yorkers, but I have to say it's kind funny that I couldn't take photos inside a Photo store.

On this particular point -- I get just the opposite feeling inside that store, though perhaps that's because I'm a New Yorker and have morphed into an unwelcoming person myself without realizing.  I've taken lots of pictures in there, with their equipment or mine, everybody seems to understand it's necessary, very surprising that you had a problem.  I'm a new customer but beside their low prices and gigantic inventory the best part of it is their sales force.  They all seem to be photographers, many of them professional (what digital hath wrought!) and every dept I've visited had at least one who could conduct a very useful class for my benefit on the spot.    It's true I don't know much, but I was impressed.  Not all depts are equal; beware.   And also: they refuse to carry many of the good-but-cheap alternatives -- speedlights, radio triggers, movie stabilizers -- for cobbling systems together and for DIY, B&H is a lot less helpful than it might be.

MichaelTheMaven

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 05:07:19 PM »
BH is very busy, and like many of you who have already mentioned, the newer, hotter items are hard to get through BH, simply because that is where everyone else is looking. I also agree that smaller stores are often better to deal with when ordering something like the 5Diii. Ive had mine for nearly 3 weeks now.

That said, BHphoto is still a GREAT store, its one of the few places you can buy a lens, test it out for 2 weeks and return it for a full refund no questions asked. I was invited on a tour of their NY Store and they also asked I not take pictures inside, so I dont think they were trying to be mean, it's just their policy.

M

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »
I have to say it's kind funny that I couldn't take photos inside a Photo store.

Ha ha... I hope you don't take same attitude of trying to do "the stores type of thing" in other types of shops like gun shops or sex shops :-)

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »

I couldn't take photos inside a Photo store.

That's 100% fine.  I don't want you to come to my store and take photos.  You can snap a pic of a product if you like, but taking broad store photos is a no.  For me it's 100% security related, I don't want anyone to have detailed photos of what is where in my place so they can plan a return visit when I'm closed.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

JerryBruck

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »

Ha ha... I hope you don't take same attitude of trying to do "the stores type of thing" in other types of shops like gun shops or sex shops :-)

The day it's no longer possible to shoot up a gun shop or shag the staff at at a sex emporium, is the day that American freedom is no longer anything but a figure of speech and the Constitution isn't worth the blackboard it was written on.

roumin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »

LOL.  Are you saying your local gun shop doesn't let you fire a couple of rounds before your buy your pistol?  That's just not right!!  :D 

I have never been inside a sex shop, so I don't know ;)

GOOD ONE!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
I have been a B&H customer for 30+ years.

I also got a lot of static (sh*t) when I cancelled my 5D3 preorder.  In my case, I told them truthfully that I had only placed 1 pre-order - at B&H - and that I was not buying the 5D3, but keeping my Nikon D800E preorder that I also had with B&H!

The rep went on and on about how not to buy based only on price, etc.  It really was annoying!   :-[

I am sure they are frustrated that they don't have more cameras too. But that, coupled with the currrent shutdown through April 15, really puts them in a bad position on the 5D3.

I hope they have someone in receiveing and shipping 5D3's this week and last? If not, the pre-order customers are really screwed!

In the past, I ordered some major items with Dodd Camera and Dodd Pro in Chicago. I ordered a Broncolor Para 220 reflector at somewheee around $4,000, and they offered to match the B&H price. I insisted on paying a couple of hundred dollars MORE than the B&H price, as I appreciate the great service they have given me in the past, and I want them to continue to provide that great service!

The same is true of Midwest Prhoto Exchange (mpex.com) in Coloumbus, Ohio.

No affiliation with either - just a very happy customer who appreciates ther great service! In fact Stu at Midwest gave me his home phone number when he thought I need to pick up an Epson printer on Thanksgiving day, and offered to come in to the shop! In fact, the Friday after Thanksgiving was soon enough, but that really impressed me at the time!  :o ;D

Michael

Michael.
Sorry to but in (I have no knowledge about service at B&H, except for a friend of mine who was in NY two weeks ago to buy the 2x II converter, and they did not have it; although their iPhone app and website said they did. My friend was friendly told that he could try Adorama, and he did, so I got my converter, albeit a little more expensive).

I live in Norway, and in July I will attend a weeklong course at Harvard. Apparently the course is so tight, that I will not have the chance to take a trip to B&H. You seem to know your camerastores. Do you know any good one in Cambridge MA or in Boston that I can visit while there?

Gerhard
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »
2x III is the one I got. A bit quick typing there.

G.
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »