September 22, 2014, 06:17:24 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* Canon EOS 5D Mark III Stock Delayed? [CR1]  (Read 23906 times)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Recall?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
For what it's worth, i just contact my Canon CPS reps and they said they haven't officially gotten any word from their contacts of any recalls and any mentions of recalls are just rumors at this point.  They also took down/verified my info and said they would call me/email me as soon as they get any word of any recall, if there is even one.  They said as well if anything becomes "official" regarding a recall it will be announced through a press announcement. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »
Hi All

Maybe they discovered as some did on launch day it's missing about 12 megapixels

And they're back.........

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »
For what it's worth, i just contact my Canon CPS reps and they said they haven't officially gotten any word from their contacts of any recalls and any mentions of recalls are just rumors at this point.

There's some one posting up the same thing over at DPreview.  Why does everyone think they'll get top secret recall info from a support member before Canon corporate makes it public????

"CPS said they didn't hear anything - so - this is all crap!"  :P

Even if it's real, I say we embrace it - it shows Canon is standing behind their stuff!!!

TOTAL RECALLIN'!

See you at the party, Richter!!!!!!!!!

D_Rochat

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Ken Rockwell's review forced Canon this recall :) :) :)

I heard that they're taking his advice and putting the "better" 9 point AF back in the 5D. They are also increasing the saturation limits within the camera.

esi32

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »
Also, if it's just a firmware issue, can't that be resolved by a simple download and update?

Even for a firmware it's certainly possible that Canon would reschedule shipments in order to ship updated cameras. I mean it's not like this would be the first time that a dealer was wrong about why a manufacturer did something, there's been countless times where dealers have claimed something was discontinued when it wasn't, simply because they couldn't get any stock.

Maybe, but 800/5.6 and 200/2 owners are few so I doubt a camera wide re-call.  I'll send in my 5D3 for my 200/2 if I had too.  Free shipping all around of course, and not cheap mail, I'm talking overnight FedEx/UPS.

Even then, if fixing it required more than just a firmware it would warrant at least a service notice for cameras in the wild and possibly holding up shipments of unshipped cameras. While the numbers of 200/2 and 800/5.6 users are small, Canon can't assume that any given 5D III (especially unshipped ones) won't be going to 200/2 or 800/5.6 users. On the other hand, while the need to return the camera might be minimal (and certainly not immediate) if you aren't a 200/2 or 800/5.6 user, and it wouldn't warrant not being called a "recal" if cameras have to be shipped back.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time a dealer was wrong/inaccurate for one reason or another. Never mind it's not that far for someone to leap between being told their shipment was being held and finding out that there may be a service notice issue, to leaping to the conclusion that there's going to be a product recall. Never mind by the time we read it here, you're talking about something that's likely gone from someone in Canon JP making a decision, through Canon USA, though a distributor, to the purchasing agent for a camera store, to Canon Rumors, likely not verbatim either.

maybe they found the problem for the AF not working at F8? 

As nice as that would be, I'm not convinced that this is a rectifiable issue without replacing rebuilding the optics in the AF path and potentially the AF sensor itself. It's been a while since I looked at it, but the reduced aperture at f/8 reduces the effective base length for the range finder, and would require either a stronger shift between the phases or a more finely grained AF sensor strip, to be able to insure accurate focus.

ttmphotography

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »
I shot some indoor shots with AWB last weekend and it did a very poor job on alot of the shots (similar to my 5D II). My 7D would have done a better job, hopefully the fix has something to do with AWB.

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »
I heard that they're taking his advice and putting the "better" 9 point AF back in the 5D. They are also increasing the saturation limits within the camera.
;D  Brilliant.

Well, I'm going to sit tight - I was going to purchase a 5D tomorrow, but it's not urgent so I'll wait to see what happens.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »
For what it's worth, i just contact my Canon CPS reps and they said they haven't officially gotten any word from their contacts of any recalls and any mentions of recalls are just rumors at this point.

There's some one posting up the same thing over at DPreview.  Why does everyone think they'll get top secret recall info from a support member before Canon corporate makes it public????

"CPS said they didn't hear anything - so - this is all crap!"  :P

Even if it's real, I say we embrace it - it shows Canon is standing behind their stuff!!!

See you at the party, Richter!!!!!!!!!

As far as i'm concerned its better than sit around worrying about it on an internet forum.  Plus if they have any information, CPS may be able to help their professional client better than canonrumors, no offense craig. =)  In the end, they will let me know directly if they find any information regarding such a recall. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »
I can't think of any actual issues with the camera, though. Only two, unlikely, things come to mind as possibilities:

1. The finish seems to be very easily damaged. Mine has scratches on the bottom from the mere act of setting it down on concrete.

2. Maybe the sensor isn't performing up to snuff. Could be the low ISO pattern noise, or the high ISO amp noise.

Pure speculation on my part. Nothing else has been an issue, that I'm aware of. The "light leak" is the biggest non-issue in the world.

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
As far as i'm concerned its better than sit around worrying about it on an internet forum.  Plus if they have any information, CPS may be able to help their professional client better than canonrumors, no offense craig. =)  In the end, they will let me know directly if they find any information regarding such a recall.

Honestly - you'll probably find out on the internet first. 

Here's the likely order of sequence:

1)  Canon corporate issues press release
2)  Craig splashes it over the internet 29 seconds after the announcement
3)  You find out on this forum 3 minutes later.
4)  A CPS rep calls you 2 days after that.  :P

Deeohuu

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »
Hi All

Maybe they discovered as some did on launch day it's missing about 12 megapixels

Do us all a favor and leave this forum. This used to a place where constructive conversations were held. Now it's filled with ignored flamers.

Oh please. Lighten up or do us all a favour and leave this forum. We are only allowed constructive comments and no humour? Truth to be told, 95% of the contributions are noise; live with it. At least this one was funny.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »
Here's the even more likely order of sequence:

3a) You call CPS immediately and they have no idea what you're talking about.
3b) You call CPS 5 minutes later and they have no idea what you're talking about.
3c) You call CPS 30 minutes later and they have no idea what you're talking about.
3d) You call CPS 4 hours later and they have no idea what you're talking about.
3e) You call CPS 1 day later and they have no idea what you're talking about.

4)  A CPS rep calls you 2 days after that.

:P :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: *UPDATE* Canon EOS 5D Mark III Recall?
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »
So the only product Canon managed to put in the shelves, is going back...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

Re: *UPDATE* Canon EOS 5D Mark III Recall?
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
Here's the even more likely order of sequence:

3a) You call CPS immediately and they have no idea what you're talking about.
3b) You call CPS 5 minutes later and they have no idea what you're talking about.
3c) You call CPS 30 minutes later and they have no idea what you're talking about.
3d) You call CPS 4 hours later and they have no idea what you're talking about.
3e) You call CPS 1 day later and they have no idea what you're talking about.

4)  A CPS rep calls you 2 days after that.

:P :P

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAA

I just snorted coffee.  :)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »

Honestly - you'll probably find out on the internet first. 

Here's the likely order of sequence:

4)  A CPS rep calls you 2 days after that.  :P

Nice roadmap!  I guess this is a non issue for now...the dpp issue might make sense, but not enought to cause a panic!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »