October 23, 2014, 02:02:23 AM

Author Topic: Any way to see focus point used on 5D Mark III when viewing photo?  (Read 4469 times)

larryf

Is there a way with the 5D Mark III to see where the camera focused when viewing a photo in playback mode?

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to see focus point used on 5D Mark III when viewing photo?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »
Not AFAIK, although you can view it in DPP.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Orion

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »
You can see the red square focus points when the image is not zoomed in or magnified . . . And in A1 servo, choosing the center point with surrounding squares AF option, for example, you can see the multiple focus points used when you play back the image on your screen, in camera. . . all this info is transfered from the camera to the software you use to view the images later, too.

Turbocharged

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:23:07 PM »
you can view it on both camera LCD and in DPP.

keep in mind that the spot your selected AF is showing in your view finder may be slightly off to where the sensor is actually focusing on. it may has its "tolerance" or it maybe caused by the angle of your eye relative to the view finder, it's not really a problem unless you use spot AF, shoot through a cage or something. you can test it by taking some photos on a fixed spot, and review the actual AF spot in DPP, my 5D3 AF points are slightly higher and a very tiny bit to the right of indicated location on the focus screen

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
You can see the red square focus points when the image is not zoomed in or magnified . . . And in A1 servo, choosing the center point with surrounding squares AF option, for example, you can see the multiple focus points used when you play back the image on your screen, in camera. . . all this info is transfered from the camera to the software you use to view the images later, too.

Interesting, thanks. That's a feature I'd like (not on the 5DII or 7D, probably will be on the 1D X).

I also wish it would display the focal length from the EXIF during playback.

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »
You can also view it if you use Aperture on a Mac, at least on the 5dm2 anyway.

AUGS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51:15 PM »

Interesting, thanks. That's a feature I'd like (not on the 5DII or 7D, probably will be on the 1D X).

I also wish it would display the focal length from the EXIF during playback.
I'm finding it particularly useful at the moment as I learn my way around the new autofocus system.
This is a selectable option under the "Playback Menu".  Playback #3 (blue), AF Point Display.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the default setting is, but have a feeling it is disabled.

You can also view it if you use Aperture on a Mac, at least on the 5dm2 anyway.
Nice to know it is available in Aperture.  I wonder if Lightroom 4 supports it (I'm yet to upgrade from 3.6)?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51:15 PM »

Deeohuu

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »
It is also available on 5D II at least, I think 7D as well but would have to check again. It is an option that is disabled by default. Also, it will not display anything if you are using the rear AF ON button for focus and have released the button before you release the shutter.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 04:47:48 AM »
It is also available on 5D II at least, I think 7D as well but would have to check again. It is an option that is disabled by default. Also, it will not display anything if you are using the rear AF ON button for focus and have released the button before you release the shutter.

Hmmmm...I'll have to check for that!  Since I use back-button AF, it's common for the point not to be recorded in my shots, as you point out.  Also, with the 5DII's limited AF point coverage and poor outer AF points, so many of us use focus/recompose (with narrower apertures, anyway) and then the displayed AF point is not associated with the point in the image used to achieve focus.

D.Sim

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 05:04:50 AM »

Hmmmm...I'll have to check for that!  Since I use back-button AF, it's common for the point not to be recorded in my shots, as you point out.  Also, with the 5DII's limited AF point coverage and poor outer AF points, so many of us use focus/recompose (with narrower apertures, anyway) and then the displayed AF point is not associated with the point in the image used to achieve focus.

Interesting. I use back-button AF, and the point shows up on the LCD screen on my 50D - it has a similar 9 point AF to the 5DII as well.... I had to enable it though, can't remember off hand. But yes, you make a good point on how the displayed AF point is not associated with the point used to achieve focus when we recompose...

larryf

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 07:34:41 AM »
I have found that when I focus on a spot and then recompose the shot, the AF point shows the original focus point used and not the position that was actually focused on.  This seems to be whether I use the single AF point all the way up to the full 61.

For instance, if I lock focus on an object and then move the camera so that object is in the lower left corner of the shot and take the picture, the focus point shows in the center of the photo (or shows the multiple focus points in the center if 61-point was used) rather than where the focus actually was.  The point I focused on is indeed in focus but just not showing in playback as the focus point.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 08:57:53 AM »

Really!  I shot a few videos with the mkiii already and was not able to display af point.  Does it only work when you select cent point with surrounding squares?  I was using center point only in ai servo, maybe this is why.  I sure dont have this in my mkii either, but then again i never use the extension point.  I will have to tr it tonight...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:15:09 AM »
Found the option on the 5DII, thanks for correcting me above, all!

I use back-button AF, and the point shows up on the LCD screen on my 50D - it has a similar 9 point AF to the 5DII as well....

It shows up if you're still holding the AF-ON button as you press the shutter, but if you've released the AF-ON button before you press the shutter, the selected AF point in not displayed (nor is it recorded in the EXIF).

I have found that when I focus on a spot and then recompose the shot, the AF point shows the original focus point used and not the position that was actually focused on.  This seems to be whether I use the single AF point all the way up to the full 61.

Of course - the camera has no way to know that you've moved after focus is locked.  Well, that's not really true - it does have gyrpscopic sensors, and in theory Canon could compensate for that - some Hasselblad bodies do something similar, because with wide apertures focus/recompose results in backfocus, so the camera determines how far you've moved and adjust the focus to compensate.  But Canon doesn't offer such a feature.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:15:09 AM »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
Since I use back-button AF, it's common for the point not to be recorded in my shots, as you point out.

Same here.  I once fought with Canon about this on the Canon 10D.  I wanted focus point to be recorded when thumb focus was used.  10 cameras later, still no support for that! I gave up! :)  oh, I also stopped caring at some point!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »