August 02, 2014, 02:59:25 AM

Author Topic: Canon releases are getting expensive!  (Read 4137 times)

skoobey

Re: Canon releases are getting expensive!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 07:36:06 AM »
That's not expensive, you just aren't earning enough! ;)

That's what I say to myself all the time. :D :D :D But somehow I'm always lacking in funds.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 07:36:06 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 08:26:14 AM »
The 1D X will be discontinued even before they decide to ship it :P

Yes it will almost a year from announcement to shipping date at the present rate.
Maybe when it ships it will be the 1DXn.  ???

Paul Wright

Even worse - judging from what happened with 5DIII -  when released it will really be the beta version...  ;D

Musouka

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »
The 1D X will be discontinued even before they decide to ship it :P

Yes it will almost a year from announcement to shipping date at the present rate.
Maybe when it ships it will be the 1DXn.  ???

Paul Wright

Even worse - judging from what happened with 5DIII -  when released it will really be the beta version...  ;D

Everyone is doing Beta releases these days... here is a somewhat old, but still relevant, article :

A Call for Revolution Against Beta Culture

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »

Everyone is doing Beta releases these days... here is a somewhat old, but still relevant, article :

A Call for Revolution Against Beta Culture

Yip, and I still believe that the 5D3 was rushed to market to soak test for the 1Dx components which is great news for 1Dx owners of course. Imagine if the issues being raised at the moment for the 5D3 were found on the 1Dx so close to the Olympics.
Although I think they are mostly non-issues I still don't understand the DPP software bug, how did (does) Canon do RAW image quality testing? and how do the select pro togs do their analysis? Canon have been very up front acknowledging issues although the light ‘leaking’ issue may simply be out of operating params I think they should be commended for that, but I’d love an explanation how the DPP one got through.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 10:47:28 AM »
Everyone is doing Beta releases these days... here is a somewhat old, but still relevant, article

as long as people blindly preorder products... why should companys change their way of releasing stuff?

i don´t preorder anymore and i don´t buy new software or hardware that is not out in the wild for a few month. that served me well for example as intel released the sandy bridge mainboards (sata bug).

i don´t have the time or the nerve to fumble around with beta products an wait until major bugs are fixed.

of course that a product is out for say 4-6 month does not mean it´s perfect or bug free... but at least you have an overview over how well it works and major flaws should be exploited by then.

6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
Even for the Pro market, Canon is pricing themselves out of consideration.

Joe Marine, who writes a popular blog at nofilmschool.com wrote his observation at NAB this past weekend on the Pro video market. When it came to Canon at NAB, he was very un-enthusiastic. He wrote:

"What’s Canon doing? I’m not really sure, but they are certainly pricing themselves out of the market in features alone. Both of their new cameras are going to produce amazing images, but their top-of-the-line camera should really be much more comparable to the F65 or the Epic. If you’re going to make a camera that expensive, it makes sense to me that you would go all out and put the biggest sensor and the highest bit depth and frame rates that you can into it. The C500 fits much, much better as a $15,000 camera, and the 1DC should be half that price at around $7,500 (closer to the FS700). If they released those new cameras at those prices it would make a lot more sense. Sony’s offerings are cheaper and more fully featured. This is not a statement for Sony and against Canon, it’s merely an observation that on price alone, the specs just don’t add up."

Of course Sony, who is about to release the ground breaking FS700 at an amazingly affordable price has received heaps of praise on the internet forums from video people, while Canon has been bashed to death for their outrageous pricing and lackluster specs. Just goes to show that YES, consumers and professionals alike appreciate good value and can spot overpriced, under-spec'd products very quickly.

I really wanted to stay with Canon and I had about $8K or so to spend on a video camera, but I'm going to have to jump ship to the Sony FS700. I just can't wait any longer for Canon to release something in the $5K to $9K range that is worth buying. Thank God for electronic lens adaptors, so I can use EOS lenses on the sony.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »