April 20, 2014, 01:01:59 PM

Author Topic: HELP! Shooting my first wedding tomorrow!!!  (Read 7356 times)

PixelReaper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
HELP! Shooting my first wedding tomorrow!!!
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:03:25 PM »
Hey everyone!

Any advice on gear or general pointers for shooting my first wedding tomorow?  Luckily, the bride was on a super low budget so she is not expecting much from me as I am working pro bono (it's her wedding gift). I am an enthusiastic amateur photographer (not my main line of work), but I have started to get a couple of of jobs in the last month.

I have listed my gear below and I won't be buying anything new since the event is tomorrow.

5D II
35 1.4 L
24-105 L
70-200 2.8 II L
430exII
Tripod

I use LR4, Photoshop 6 beta, and DxO 7 for post work. I plan on using blurb to put a book together for the couple at the end.

I really appreciate and calue any advice from the CR community and thank everyone in advance! I really take pride in my pictures and hope to capture the day well for my friend.

Cheers!
5D Mark II, 24-105mm f/4 L, 35mm f/1.4 L, 70-200 f/2.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

HELP! Shooting my first wedding tomorrow!!!
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:03:25 PM »

PixelReaper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Shooting my first wedding tomorrow!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:10:35 PM »
... A couple more gear items and details

I also will have my Lowepro fastpack 250 and a CustomSLR strap
I will have 3 CF cards and a battery grip on the 5D with extra batteries.

My wife will also be shooting with a Sony NEX 5n ( I know it's blasphemy! But actually a pretty neat little camera)

PixelReaper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Gear / shooting recomendations for first wedding tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »
Hey everyone!

Any advice on gear or general pointers for shooting my first wedding tomorow?  Luckily, the bride was on a super low budget so she is not expecting much from me as I am working pro bono (it's her wedding gift). I am an enthusiastic amateur photographer (not my main line of work), but I have started to get a couple of of jobs in the last month.

I have listed my gear below and I won't be buying anything new since the event is tomorrow.

5D II
35 1.4 L
24-105 L
70-200 2.8 II L
430exII
Tripod

I use LR4, Photoshop 6 beta, and DxO 7 for post work. I plan on using blurb to put a book together for the couple at the end.

... A couple more gear items and details

I also will have my Lowepro fastpack 250 and a CustomSLR sling strap
I will have 3 CF cards and a battery grip on the 5D with extra batteries.

My wife will also be shooting with a Sony NEX 5n ( I know it's blasphemy! But actually a pretty neat little camera)

I really appreciate and value any advice from the CR community and thank everyone in advance! I really take pride in my pictures and hope to capture the day well for my

Sorry for double post, I was not sure which category to post under.
Thanks!!

eolson

Re: Gear / shooting recomendations for first wedding tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
I recently shot my first wedding as well and found the following:

-Lenses that are f/4 or slower are all but useless indoors without flash
- Having a "shot list" is very helpful and keeps things on track
- Wide angle shots of the reception are great and really capture the feel of the room
- You can never have enough CF cards, i went through 25+ gigs for mine

thoughts on your gear:

- the 5DII should be good, you may have some issues focusing in low light depending on the venue
- 35 1.4 will be a god send:)
- the 24-105 will need flash as will the 70-200
- tripod might just weigh you down, might want to consider leaving it behind unless you have an assistant or something to help carry stuff

best of luck!

dericcainphoto

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:25:26 PM »
I am a wedding photographer and I have a similar setup. I would shoot mRAW, so that you do not have to worry about filing up cards too quickly. You can print a 20x30 with great quality out of mRAW. Shoot as much outside as possible, if the weather permits. For your portraits, use the 70-200mm 90% of the time. You cannot beat the look of the 70-200mm on a full-frame camera.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »
I had some thoughts.

5D II - Perfect
35 1.4 L - Again perfect. For everything but the actual ceremony (assuming you can't get close) I'd use this. I've used a 35L for 90% of a wedding before.
24-105 L - I'd still take it but you probably won't use it
70-200 2.8 II L - Perfect for the ceremony if you get stuck in the back.
430exII - Not sure I'd use a flash.
Tripod - Shouldn't need it.

Also, I'd take another camera that you can mount EF lenses on. Even if it's just a Rebel it'd help. You could put a second lens on it, or use it incase your 5D fails for some reason.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

PixelReaper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »
I recently shot my first wedding as well and found the following:

-Lenses that are f/4 or slower are all but useless indoors without flash
- Having a "shot list" is very helpful and keeps things on track
- Wide angle shots of the reception are great and really capture the feel of the room
- You can never have enough CF cards, i went through 25+ gigs for mine

thoughts on your gear:

- the 5DII should be good, you may have some issues focusing in low light depending on the venue
- 35 1.4 will be a god send:)
- the 24-105 will need flash as will the 70-200
- tripod might just weigh you down, might want to consider leaving it behind unless you have an assistant or something to help carry stuff

best of luck!

Thanks for sharing! I think the list is a great idea.

I bought a 32gb 400x card to go with the 2 16gb 600x CF cards I already had so hopefully no storage issues.  The 24-105 will only be for outside wide angle shots of the couple and ceremony.  I think the 35 will be glued on after dark! ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »
You are going to love the 35 1.4!  That's a great wedding lens! The 24-105 works pretty well too so long as it has a little assistance from a flash.  Don't be afraid to push the 5D2 to 3200ISO. Its better to get a crisp wedding photo with some noise rather than motion blur.  Most the noise can be mitigated in LR during post processing.  If space is an issue mRAW will produce a high enough quality image for 99% of wedding uses.

Let us know how it goes! 

PixelReaper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
I am a wedding photographer and I have a similar setup. I would shoot mRAW, so that you do not have to worry about filing up cards too quickly. You can print a 20x30 with great quality out of mRAW. Shoot as much outside as possible, if the weather permits. For your portraits, use the 70-200mm 90% of the time. You cannot beat the look of the 70-200mm on a full-frame camera.

Agreed about the 70-200 / 5d combo! It rocks and I will use it for almost all my portraits and ceremony shots. Hopefully the 32gb card will be ok for standard raw but thanks for the idea.

PixelReaper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »
I had some thoughts.

5D II - Perfect
35 1.4 L - Again perfect. For everything but the actual ceremony (assuming you can't get close) I'd use this. I've used a 35L for 90% of a wedding before.
24-105 L - I'd still take it but you probably won't use it
70-200 2.8 II L - Perfect for the ceremony if you get stuck in the back.
430exII - Not sure I'd use a flash.
Tripod - Shouldn't need it.

Also, I'd take another camera that you can mount EF lenses on. Even if it's just a Rebel it'd help. You could put a second lens on it, or use it incase your 5D fails for some reason.

Thanks for positive feedback on the gear. 6 months ago I was shooting with a 350D and a nifty fifty. Then I fell down a rabbit hole!!! Amazed my wife hasn't left me!

I am going to try and convince a buddy who also shoots a 5d2 to let me borrow it in case of disaster!  Hopefully won't need it;)

yellowkamper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
I did my first Wedding in the mid 1960s then up till the early 2000 and like all photographers of that time we used a medium format camera. Bronica , Hasselblad, Rollie with just one lens a standard 75mm f2.8 and 8 rolls of 120 film 12 exposures.
Why do todays wedding photographers have to carry 5 lenses and take 2000 pictures, how many of those pictures get into the Brides album, how many hours are spent at the computer sorting them all out. We perfected our technique with leaf shutters and shooting with both eyes open every shot was perfect no shut eye pictures of the bride.
Use a standard lens and perhaps a wide for a group inside, Have two bodies the same and two flash guns, spare batterys. Concentrate on the posing of the people not on how many lenses you can use, be able to adjust your camera and flash with out looking at them so you can do it in the dark if need be.   

PixelReaper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 02:43:57 PM »
You are going to love the 35 1.4!  That's a great wedding lens! The 24-105 works pretty well too so long as it has a little assistance from a flash.  Don't be afraid to push the 5D2 to 3200ISO. Its better to get a crisp wedding photo with some noise rather than motion blur.  Most the noise can be mitigated in LR during post processing.  If space is an issue mRAW will produce a high enough quality image for 99% of wedding uses.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the reply! I do love the 35!! I almost look for poorly lit environments for an excuse to shoot with it.

Agreed on the 3200 ISO. Between LR and DxO most of the noise can be eliminated, where as adobe has yet figured out how to fix motion blur ;D

Lloyd

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • BRRLaw
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
I was in the same position recently, but was doing a video as they had just enough funds to hire a professional photographer, but also wanted a video. My advise is to get to the event early enough so you are familiar with the layout and can plan your movement to capture the event without disturbing the ceremony.  Look out for all trip hazards.  You may want to use your wife as a model to test lighting and range.  In my case, the minute the audience was seated and just before the minister and groom entered, they lowered the lights.  There went my exposure settings. You also want to have time to organize your equiptment.  Talk to the bride and her mom to see what is important to them.  For example they may want photos in the dressing room which may require you to get there even earlier.  Talk to the minister/officiant to make sure he/she has no restrictions.   If you did not go to the rehearsal get someone who did give you a run through.  In my case their was a professional photographer so I made sure to coordinate with him in advance to make sure I did not get in his way.  I set up a video camera in the balcony for a fixed shot and used a dslr on a tripod on the side 5-10 rows back.  I would not have used a tripod for stills.
5D mkIII, 60D, 20D; 24-70mm f/2.8L; 24-105mm F4L; 70-200mm f/2.8L IS;  TS-E 17mm f/4L; Canon FD 800mm 5.6L; Canon FD 55mm f/1.2;  10-22mm f/3.5-4.5; Canon extenders 1.4X II and 2X II; Canon  580EX and 430EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
You gears are very good.. just focus on technique.. but MOST important OF ALL:

BE THERE EARLY....

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
You gears are very good.. just focus on technique.. but MOST important OF ALL:

BE THERE EARLY....

So funny!  My photographer was late to my wedding, but that is a different story!  Just found your comment funny!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »