April 20, 2014, 10:22:43 AM

Author Topic: HELP! Shooting my first wedding tomorrow!!!  (Read 7355 times)

agierke

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Gear / shooting recomendations for first wedding tomorrow!!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »
if you are going to be doing weddings more in the future i would advise you to stay away from larger capacity CF cards. 16GB+ scares me....

i shoot on 8GB cards only with the mRAW on a Mrk2. i take 10x 8GB cards with me to a wedding and generally use up 4 to 5 of them. the reason behind this is that i dont want too much of any part of the day on a single card in the case something bad happens to it or it is lost. losing a part of the day vs losing half the day can be the difference between "i can recover" and complete disaster.

weddings can be murder on your gear as well. be prepared for your new shiny stuff to get dinged and worn looking. 1 wedding wont be too bad...but 30+ weddings a year and you just cant avoid it.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, sigma 15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 85mm F1.8, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
I became an unexpected wedding photographer this past weekend.  A very close friend of my wife's got married and did not have a photographer (it was a simple reception, as they had the ceremony a couple weeks earlier abroad) and asked if I could take pictures of the family and during the event (I had my 30D and all my gear with me, luckily).  I do not envy wedding photographers, it was certainly not something I'm accustomed to, or talented at.  I think I did a decent job, though.  Hopefully they are happy with the results.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

Mike Ca

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »
Your equipment sounds fine.

First thing to remember is things happen quickly at weddings and there is usually no opportunity for a do over.

You need to know where you are allowed to take pictures from during the ceremony and make sure you are in the best location for each part of the ceremony. Most venues do not allow flash during the ceremony, so you are going to need to use high ISO. Some venues allow flash during the bridal procession, but if you haven't practiced doing flash under those conditions before, I would forget it and just use high ISO.

Most venues restrict the time after the ceremony for group photos with 30-45 minutes being typical. Make sure you know how much time you have. When taking large group photos, it is important to make sure the people are spaced far enough apart so no one is hidden behind someone else.

VishVR

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
I did my first Wedding in the mid 1960s then up till the early 2000 and like all photographers of that time we used a medium format camera. Bronica , Hasselblad, Rollie with just one lens a standard 75mm f2.8 and 8 rolls of 120 film 12 exposures.
Why do todays wedding photographers have to carry 5 lenses and take 2000 pictures, how many of those pictures get into the Brides album, how many hours are spent at the computer sorting them all out. We perfected our technique with leaf shutters and shooting with both eyes open every shot was perfect no shut eye pictures of the bride.
Use a standard lens and perhaps a wide for a group inside, Have two bodies the same and two flash guns, spare batterys. Concentrate on the posing of the people not on how many lenses you can use, be able to adjust your camera and flash with out looking at them so you can do it in the dark if need be.   

According to Darwin, my ancestors used to hop around trees and beat their chests for entertainment.  Thank god, I don't have to do that anymore.

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »
You gears are very good.. just focus on technique.. but MOST important OF ALL:

BE THERE EARLY....

Haha I had to laugh when reading this  ;D
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 03:31:15 AM »
You gears are very good.. just focus on technique.. but MOST important OF ALL:

BE THERE EARLY....

Haha I had to laugh when reading this  ;D

:)... glad you have a laugh..
but, i mean...for real. Doesnt matter how hard you're prepared, once you're late, you missed it..

prestonpalmer

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 02:54:50 AM »
if you are going to be doing weddings more in the future i would advise you to stay away from larger capacity CF cards. 16GB+ scares me....

i shoot on 8GB cards only with the mRAW on a Mrk2. i take 10x 8GB cards with me to a wedding and generally use up 4 to 5 of them. the reason behind this is that i dont want too much of any part of the day on a single card in the case something bad happens to it or it is lost. losing a part of the day vs losing half the day can be the difference between "i can recover" and complete disaster.

weddings can be murder on your gear as well. be prepared for your new shiny stuff to get dinged and worn looking. 1 wedding wont be too bad...but 30+ weddings a year and you just cant avoid it.

This statement is not necessarily true.  You are far more likely to loose data from a memory card that you routinely fill completely or almost completely.  Cards use advanced algorithms to keep data cells rotating. If you fill smaller cards to capacity, your probability of data corruption or complete card failure goes up exponentially.  With this in mind. You are statistically safer using one huge 32GB or 64GB card, and only filling it half way, before pulling it and putting in a new card.  As long as you are using professional grade, NAME BRAND cards, your probability of data loss with this method is significantly less than filling multiple 8GB cards to the brim.  This is one of those things photographers are not generally very educated about. If you are going to use 8GB cards, avoid filling them all the way.  Fill them to 6gb or so before putting in a new memory card.  Now, if you are using the 5D3 we have DUAL CARD SLOTS! YAY!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 02:54:50 AM »

echojs

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »
I am a wedding photographer and I have a similar setup. I would shoot mRAW, so that you do not have to worry about filing up cards too quickly. You can print a 20x30 with great quality out of mRAW. Shoot as much outside as possible, if the weather permits. For your portraits, use the 70-200mm 90% of the time. You cannot beat the look of the 70-200mm on a full-frame camera.

Kind of wanted to jump in here as I would like to get the right gear for wedding photography as well.  I did one last year with some rented equipment to add to my own.  I currently have a 5D Mark III, 24-105L, 20-700 f/4, and just sold my 10-22 efs and hopefully will be selling my efs 60mm macro.  I'm looking at the 50 1.4 and possibly the 100 2.8 macro so I can have a macro for FF, though I like the looks of the 100mm f/2 as well.  But I want to make sure the lenses are fast enough, granted I can now push the ISO way more than before with my old Rebel.  Do I NEED the 35 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 135 2.0 or 70-200 2.8 (nonL)?  Funds are limited, so I can only do just one or two lenses for now in the higher price range, but which one, if any?  So many experienced individuals here that any advice would be so appreciated

D.Cain - like your bio.  Right there too.  :)

Z

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
I did my first Wedding in the mid 1960s then up till the early 2000 and like all photographers of that time we used a medium format camera. Bronica , Hasselblad, Rollie with just one lens a standard 75mm f2.8 and 8 rolls of 120 film 12 exposures.
Why do todays wedding photographers have to carry 5 lenses and take 2000 pictures, how many of those pictures get into the Brides album, how many hours are spent at the computer sorting them all out. We perfected our technique with leaf shutters and shooting with both eyes open every shot was perfect no shut eye pictures of the bride.

PixelReaper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Shooting my first wedding tomorrow!!!
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 03:08:29 PM »
Hey everyone!

Well I am glad to report the wedding went off without a hitch and I ended shooting about 1800 exposures throughout the day. I used the 70-200 and 24-105 on 2 5D mark IIs around my neck during the ceremony, environmental and portraits at about a 2-1 ratio in favor of the 70-200. (I could feel it in my wrists and shoulders on Sunday) I actually really enjoyed the 24-105 (the wedding was outside on a bright sunny day) but you can't beat the 70-200 2.8 II for the portraits!! The background just melts away.

During the reception I just glued the 35 1.4 L on the 5D and occasional bounced a flash for more light. Most were available light shots and the 35mm was a godsend. It's like the lens creates light!!

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice and posts.
+1 to all
5D Mark II, 24-105mm f/4 L, 35mm f/1.4 L, 70-200 f/2.8 II

prestonpalmer

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 03:32:55 PM »
Good work!

PixelReaper

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
Good work!

Thanks Preston! Btw I really like your work. I checked out your website. Great stuff!

Take care
5D Mark II, 24-105mm f/4 L, 35mm f/1.4 L, 70-200 f/2.8 II

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 11:41:42 PM »
Even though your wedding has come and gone, I'll still share my two cents.

Most important thing to do is bring back up camera. God forbid something happens to your camera you'll sill be operational.

And I have to disagree about checking with the minister before hand about restrictions. If no one imposes restrictions on you without you asking them, then just do what you need to do to get the best photos you can. You know the old saying "its better to seek forgiveness than ask permission"? Its better to GET THE SHOT and piss someone off, than be a good boy and miss your opportunity. You are the photographer. So what if they get mad?? (the officiant, not the client). They are not going to make you delete that great shot you took against the rules. And I'm sure your client will thank you for it. I know *I* would rather hire a photographer who is willing to do whatever he has to to get the shot. Thats the difference between a pro and an amateur. Pros go above and beyond. Yes, I realize your not a pro, but in this situation you are taking on the role of the pro, so it still applies :)

Remember, the awkward situation is temporary, the photo lasts forever.

Plus, ive NEVER shot anywhere that didn't let me use flash. NEVER. ever. I've been shooting professionally for over 5 years. I don't know what these people are talking about who say MOST venues don't allow flash. So do what you must to get the photo and plea ignorance to get the angry venue workers to go away.

And if you do get harassed by a venue employee, just ignore them. They don't know your workflow or style. I was "yelled at" by an employee at a venue for eating at the same time as the guests. She wanted me to let the guests eat first because it is more "professional" to let them go first. BULL. I need to eat first so im not stuffing my face when everyone else is done and things are starting to happen that I'll miss if im eating. Venue people are not photographers and dont know what really is best, so ignore them if you can. (Just don't get yourself kicked out)
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 11:41:42 PM »

Z

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »
... You are the photographer. So what if they get mad?? ...
I like your style.

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »
... You are the photographer. So what if they get mad?? ...
I like your style.

Heck yea. :D
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »