September 18, 2014, 03:57:05 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Product Advisory  (Read 34531 times)

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Product Advisory
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »
I use the top LCD all the time.  When it's dark I tend to use it over the back screen, the main reason is that it's easier to see, and if your camera is low down you can just look straight down instead of getting on your knees.

Don't understand all the anger about canon fixing this.  It's a problem that affects a lot of people, and just because it doesn't affect you it doesn't mean that you have to get mad at the people it does affect.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 09:11:37 PM »
Don't understand all the anger about canon fixing this.  It's a problem that affects a lot of people, and just because it doesn't affect you it doesn't mean that you have to get mad at the people it does affect.

+1,000

I don't see why you'd use the top LCD screen to meter when it's much easier to do so in the viewfinder, or even the rear LCD if you're on a tripod. I often shoot from very low angles where the camera is an inch or two off the ground, sometimes at night. I just find that it's much more convenient to meter through the viewfinder. I guess others prefer to look at a tiny LCD screen on top of the camera that's difficult to see. 

Exposures get thrown off all the time for a number of reasons, but it's not like we're shooting film anymore. Just review the image on the back of the camera, and adjust exposure accordingly if necessary.

I think "dilbert" explained this well enough on the bottom of the first page.  Many nighttime landscape photographers and astrophotographers use tripods with their cameras mounted in extremely bizarre positions.  This can make composition via the viewfinder very difficult, and often times totally impossible with the back display.  Many astrophotographers also implement angle finders to assist with the chore of difficult compositions at night.  That said - once the desired composition is achieved, most people don't want to go back to crawling around on the ground just to meter.

I often times use Av off the top LCD (with backlight on) to get an idea of the available light's impact on the sensor.  Then I calculate out a manual exposure at a lower ISO for a bulb exposure.  But if that initial metering is incorrect, my final manual exposure could be off by an uncorrectable amount.

As Keithfullermusic pointed out above: if this doesn't effect you - why are you expressing so much frustration towards the people who are happy it's being fixed?  I'm an astrophotographer and I am personally thrilled Canon is stepping up and addressing this.  Moreover, I'm a little baffled by the number of photographers who find this kind of light leak completely acceptable in a $3,500 camera body. 

Heck, it seems to be a simple fix - let's let Canon address it and move on.

darash

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 09:23:39 PM »
It's been posted in Canon Malaysia customer support website since yesterday. Let's just wait and see what their countermeasures are. Maybe a firmware update will solve it (by decreasing the low light capability)  :P
5D3

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »
As Keithfullermusic pointed out above: if this doesn't effect you - why are you expressing so much frustration towards the people who are happy it's being fixed?  I'm an astrophotographer and I am personally thrilled Canon is stepping up and addressing this.  Moreover, I'm a little baffled by the number of photographers who find this kind of light leak completely acceptable in a $3,500 camera body. 

Heck, it seems to be a simple fix - let's let Canon address it and move on.

Frustrated? Hardly. Frustration and anger aren't emotions I waste on internet forums :) Kudos to Canon for stepping up to fix this. It will be great for people like you and Keith since the light leak actually affects how you shoot, but for every person like you two, there are many more people making a big stink about it even though the light leak issue won't affect their style of shooting. The internet has a way of making distorting the severity of problems, and the hysteria can get a bit silly.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:47:57 PM by V8Beast »

javier

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
It's been posted in Canon Malaysia customer support website since yesterday. Let's just wait and see what their countermeasures are. Maybe a firmware update will solve it (by decreasing the low light capability)  :P

I thought about this, and reminds me the iPhone 4 antenna, how you will fix a hardware problem with a software?

I saw a video showning the sensor is getting to much light from the view finder.

my theory is:

the sensor is getting to much light "leaks" and when you take the picture the picture just use the light coming through the lens and that is why the pictures is underexposed.

IF... this is a problem of only some cameras...  "Maybe a firmware update will solve it (by decreasing the low light capability)"   this means the cameras with no problem then will produce overexposed images.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:20:39 PM by javier »

esi32

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
I think "dilbert" explained this well enough on the bottom of the first page.  Many nighttime landscape photographers and astrophotographers use tripods with their cameras mounted in extremely bizarre positions.  This can make composition via the viewfinder very difficult, and often times totally impossible with the back display.  Many astrophotographers also implement angle finders to assist with the chore of difficult compositions at night.  That said - once the desired composition is achieved, most people don't want to go back to crawling around on the ground just to meter.

I often times use Av off the top LCD (with backlight on) to get an idea of the available light's impact on the sensor.  Then I calculate out a manual exposure at a lower ISO for a bulb exposure.  But if that initial metering is incorrect, my final manual exposure could be off by an uncorrectable amount.

If you're metering an subject darker than 1 EV with a 5D3, there's no guarantee that the exposure you get will be correct anyway. That's what that little bit in the manual where it says, "EV 1 - 20 (at 23°C/73°F with EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)," is telling you.  Moreover, if the subject is brighter than 1 EV, my testing at least, indicates that there's no effect on the meter from the backlight. Hence my concern that Canon will come to the conclusion that there is no issue at all and the camera operates as designed, and I still am concerned about this even with the service bulletin having been issued.

As for darker scenes, there's no guarantee that what you're metering is in any way correct at all to start with. The metering sensor is no different than the image sensor with respect to the influence of noise. The influence of dark current, thermal noise, and the LED display in the viewfinder on the metering can be seen simply by the fact that they don't report off scale low (blinking 30" / blinking aperture at all ISOs) when the lens mount and viewfinder are blacked out.

My 40D (1-20EV meter) has a hard lower bound of -1EV (though accuracy pretty much goes to crap below 1EV).
My 1D3 (0-20EV meter) has a hard lower bound of -4-2/3 EV.
My 5D3 (1-20EV meter) has a hard lower bound of -4EV (1EV with the backlight on or I get errors from it).

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
All the tests I've seen online were done with no lens and the body cap on, or with a lens and the lens cap on.

I've tried it on my camera with no lens and the body cap on and it has the issue described.

But has anyone demonstrated a scenario and taking an actual exposure where this will result in problems?

I wonder though if most really use Av in such a scenario? Don't most maybe use Av for a quick ballpark and then snap some shots in M mode until exposure is perfect? Granted this might have you start out perhaps an extra 2/3rd stop or so off base, but it's probably not the end of the world. Actually these days don't most people do that sort of shooting using liveview so they can quickly dial in exposure and use 10x zoom to get a top focus?

Although I suppose there are rare times when I maybe shoot some close in detail shots of Christmas tree and use Av but these days that is usually done in liveview mode.

Anyway I don't want to say it can't affect anyone but it's not too easy to come up with a realistic scenario although I'm sure there are a few.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:14:28 AM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
Total BS
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2012, 12:38:49 AM »
I don't own a 5D III but I rented one for a week.
I couldn't use it at the studio with my pocket wizard system cause it's not compatible...
It is also not compatible with some lenses. Canon's own DPP has problems.
The much needed grip is not even Available anywhere...
And now, although it is a really stupid problem, this light leak BS...
How in the world can Canon keep releasing products prematurely?
I hope all the additional wait for The 1D X will be worth it and the Camera will perform as expected.

Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

xthebillx

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »

I don't want to stay looking through the eye finger because it is an uncomfortable position to be in.

My body didn't come with an eye finger. How does it work? Is it compatible with the 5Dii?
 :P  ;) :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:03:30 AM by xthebillx »

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 03:23:22 AM »
AND When Will they address the issues:

1) AF points illuminations- Hard to see in daylight
2) problem of IS noise for Canon 200L and 800L
3) Pocketwizard sync speed wont go higher than 1/200....... (killed hypersync.. but im not too sure if this is canon problem)

Heavyweight67

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2012, 05:36:32 AM »
This morning emailed Canon Australia Support regarding this issue, there (or was) nothing listed on the Canon Australia website...

As yet it's anyones guess what the "fix" will be...Hardware/Software...

So far I'm not sure this has affected me, exposure or the correct exposure is subjective...

My issue is that even though I purchased my camera in Australia I live in Asia, so if a Canon Service Centre is required "Who" will it be...

Like many others, not everyone purchased their 5Diii where they live...whether they travelled or purchased online...will be interesting to see how it all plays out...

If and when I hear from Canon Australia I will update my post.

iSy

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2012, 05:49:15 AM »
First post on the CR forums, thought i would say hello :)

I bought my 5D3 a week ago, and haven't really used it much as was waiting for the grip to arrive. I saw this post on the site and was shocked that there might be an "issue" with my new £3000 camera!  I am based in the UK and can confirm my new 5D3 has the light leak "issue".

To be fair, I agree with most on here that it isn't really an issue unless you shoot as said in near pitch black with lens cap on etc etc Although, this isn't a 500D so when you pay the premium, and £3000 is a lot of premium, you really don't expect to get this kinda issue.  Will the "issue" actually effect my photography (Weddings, Portriats and some landscapes) probably not, but I am one of these guys that when I know something isn't right it bugs me, not because its effecting my pictures as i am sure it won't, but knowing there is a known issue on something that is classed as Pro gear just bugs me.

With this in mind I took my camera back to the retail store i purchased it from, who were completely unaware of this issue so I showed them the post on the Canon website and then on my camera.  He agreed the issue was there.
I was offered a repair or replacement, I then stated there is no point in a replacement as it will have the same issue, and I was not willing to give it in for repair as its only a week old and Canon haven't even said what is causing it yet.

The thing is, I have bought a lot of gear from this shop. I have a 5D2+grip, 24-105 L & 70-200 f2.8 L IS II all bought from them so add the 5D3 and its coming close to £10k so I feel I am within my right see what they can do to help.

The guy then called his area manager, who also checked the Canon website and basically agreed to replace my camera when Canon issue a updated/fixed model and to keep using the one until that time.  And as a good will gesture they even gave me £100 cash :D

So I am more than chuffed, the non "issue" I am happy to live with on this model and if and when Canon revise the camera I have a receipt saying they will replace it for me FOC and I have a £100 in my pocket. Don't ask, don't get :)

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2012, 07:26:02 AM »
was just a free canon macro shooting class at the Canon Showroom here in Nagoya, Japan.  I specifically asked the people there about the 5Dmk3 issue and if the camera is still for sale in Japan and if there is a problem would they fix it or not?  Well she ran off and talked with the people behind the curtains and came and said that they it is still being sold and that there isn't any issue they know about, but if there was they'd be obligated to fix it. 
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2012, 07:26:02 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »
I guess the words "Mark III" are just bad mojo for canon.

Yasmin

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2012, 07:35:48 AM »
Is Canon's Steve Job also dead?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2012, 07:35:48 AM »