October 01, 2014, 03:06:10 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Product Advisory  (Read 34787 times)

dturano

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Product Advisory
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2012, 12:24:28 AM »
I've been busy using my camera and didn't know it had a problem until I read it here. "I havent responded to this thread, i like you own a 5dmk3.  But this post drives me nuts, nothing personal but you start by saying you have been busy using your camera and didn't know it had a problem....?  I should just assume this whole post is sarcasm and move on.....  I read the whole post, I havent read any follow ups, just clicked on the newest response, saw this and almost got really upset.  Either way, all the negative on this site on the 5dmk3 has driven me to buy a nikon, that new camera they invented that puts all others to shame, with the mega -pixels!  I decided i needed to have the best with the least negative feedback, tomorrow i plan to buy a toyota.  The product advisory has given people an opportunity to be mad about many things. A lot of people online are really mad about stuff.
Some believe Canon rushed the new camera, others are pissed they had to wait so long.  Others want a bunch of new features as long as the price stays low.  And why isn't it just like the new Nikon ? Some say they will never purchase Canon cameras again but visit this website every day. 

I want to start using perfect cameras, can someone suggest a model or brand ?

For years I've driven Honda sedans. Great cars. Recently I received a recall notice for an airbag problem. I brought it to the dealer and they corrected it quickly at no charge.  I appreciate the safety notification and the quick, friendly service, but I'm considering being mad. I spent a lot of money for that car and it should be perfect like a Toyota.

Canon may come up with a reasonable solution to this issue, and I may never hear of anyone having a serious problem with the camera, but I just might become mad anyway.  If I send my camera in once in a while to be cleaned or for a new shutter I'll get by, but if there's any kind of recall, I'm switching to Nikon !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2012, 12:24:28 AM »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2012, 12:54:04 AM »
People Overreact. 

pd2002

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2012, 01:01:14 AM »
5d mark iii light leak

light leak with normal operation in sunlight

dturano

« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2012, 01:16:45 AM »
Is anyone actually mad at canon on a personal level? I know we live in the age of demanded customer satisfaction.  Im happy they held shipments for now can posted the issue on there site, while they may have posted this issue they may be working on other issues.  Some may say they rushed to market, others the issues are unacceptable, and some just nit pick to ride the bandwagon.

I personally feel for my needs, without shooting any comparable nikon or even the newest canon and upcoming that the 5dmk3 is a great piece of equipment and am a satisfied camera, what ever canon decides to resolve an issue that may or may not affect me I will consider sending it in for bringing it in for the adjustments or fix.

Would anyone have truly be happy with the new camera in this day and age?  Canon comes out with te 5dmk3 with the newer more expensive 1d model on its tails, if canon only made one body i could see an uproar, the 5dmk3 is no entry level and i think we can agree it outperforms on a body level all entry level slrs.  The 5dmk2 was flawed but can be argued the best wedding body around and before true 5dmk3 specs was touted and not overly criticized.

I think many expected 1 series int he new 5.  Canon has to spread within levels, and tries to satisfy each audience within the appropriate group.

Some may say they responded because of a possible reputation issue, if that was the case they would have to recall and put out a different camera. 

Canon waited a while for the next 5dmk3, years and the newest in my opinion is more advanced but to many for the time not enough. 

I use my 5dmk3 to make money, like many on the site, for everyday shooting i use a simple p&s and at times grab the money maker because it does capture better images.  I know others use pro dslrs for shooting there personal material which i dont take issue with, i find people spend more time analyzing, debating, complaining, & arguing than enjoying.  Not all but a lot.  Enjoy the new toy, realize it may or may not make you a better photographer, try different lens and techniques, dont blame the hardware but consider what you can change.  If and when hardware is a defect be happy the manufacturer acknowledges an issue and await the opportunity to correct it and move on

VirtualRain

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2012, 02:20:53 AM »
5d mark iii light leak

That would explain my consistent under exposures in direct sunlight!
Canon 5D Mark III, 35L, 85L, 24-105L, 70-300L

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »
Some people are disappointed with Canon for releasing a 5DIII with a measurable, reproducible problem. That's reasonable. We want value and reassurance that the tool is as good as it could be.

The early adopters are inexplicably defensive and seem angry that anyone should expect the 5DIII not to leak light. If you're ok with a light leak, then carry on. Why the anger?

The issue has been identified and confirmed. Canon has acknowledged it, and we will soon see how they respond.

Personally I am glad that the community is very demanding. I will end up with a better product and responsive support from Canon.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:05 PM »
Have anyone tried setting the DOF button to switch between Ai Servo and One Shot? I aimed at the same spot, but the exposure varied from 1/500s to 1/800s when I switched af-mode. How the hell can that be?

It's not happening 100% of the subjects I shoot at, but 90% and it's 100% consistent at one subject when I push the switch...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:05 PM »

llcanon

« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »
5d mark iii light leak

This is NOT a test under "normal operation". I bet the lens cap was on or the person was pointing the camera to an "extremely dark" object under the sunlight (maybe it is the lens cap? ;). Just note the aperture and shutter speed. 

I just couldn't believe the light leaking through the LCD would exceed the light coming through the lens during normal shooting conditions (other than the "extremely dark environments").

Has anyone really detected any exposure difference when shooting under the direct sunlight? If so, can you please share a few photos of the exposure display? I did the tests and didn't see any real issue. I look forward to esi32's testing results next week.

macrodust

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »
Have anyone tried setting the DOF button to switch between Ai Servo and One Shot? I aimed at the same spot, but the exposure varied from 1/500s to 1/800s when I switched af-mode. How the hell can that be?

It's not happening 100% of the subjects I shoot at, but 90% and it's 100% consistent at one subject when I push the switch...

I have set the DOF button on my 5DIII in the same way and stumbled across this very issue the other day. However, the exposure only changes when in evaluative metering mode. I have not been able to find the exact answer to why this is, but when googling it, I found that this has also been the case for previous canon models and therefore likely not a problem. It could have something to do with how the camera interprets subject/background differently between the to AF modes when it's set to evaluative metering. I'd appreciate a better explanation as well, but I don't believe it's a problem with our cameras.
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 7D | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS | EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake | EF 28mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »

I have set the DOF button on my 5DIII in the same way and stumbled across this very issue the other day. However, the exposure only changes when in evaluative metering mode. I have not been able to find the exact answer to why this is, but when googling it, I found that this has also been the case for previous canon models and therefore likely not a problem. It could have something to do with how the camera interprets subject/background differently between the to AF modes when it's set to evaluative metering. I'd appreciate a better explanation as well, but I don't believe it's a problem with our cameras.

Thanks! Very strange indeed...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2012, 02:28:36 PM »
I've been busy using my camera and didn't know it had a problem until I read it here. The product advisory has given people an opportunity to be mad about many things. A lot of people online are really mad about stuff.
Some believe Canon rushed the new camera, others are pissed they had to wait so long.  Others want a bunch of new features as long as the price stays low.  And why isn't it just like the new Nikon ? Some say they will never purchase Canon cameras again but visit this website every day. 

For years I've driven Honda sedans. Great cars. Recently I received a recall notice for an airbag problem. I brought it to the dealer and they corrected it quickly at no charge.  I appreciate the safety notification and the quick, friendly service, but I'm considering being mad. I spent a lot of money for that car and it should be perfect like a Toyota.

Canon may come up with a reasonable solution to this issue, and I may never hear of anyone having a serious problem with the camera, but I just might become mad anyway.  If I send my camera in once in a while to be cleaned or for a new shutter I'll get by, but if there's any kind of recall, I'm switching to Nikon !
I'm taking this as being a joke right?
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

donjensen

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2012, 02:54:51 PM »
I've been busy using my camera and didn't know it had a problem until I read it here. The product advisory has given people an opportunity to be mad about many things. A lot of people online are really mad about stuff.

I'm taking this as being a joke right?

Of course it´s a joke!!

VirtualRain

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »

Has anyone really detected any exposure difference when shooting under the direct sunlight? If so, can you please share a few photos of the exposure display? I did the tests and didn't see any real issue. I look forward to esi32's testing results next week.

I'm not sure what the cause of my problem is, but these were all shot in direct sunlight using evaluative metering, with a single AF point on the subject (bird, person, etc.)... the whole lot is about 1 stop under exposed.  Note the histograms... nothing on the right third whatsoever.

Canon 5D Mark III, 35L, 85L, 24-105L, 70-300L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2012, 03:28:45 PM »
5d mark iii light leak

that has to be with lens cap still on though, no?
I mean ISO 400, f/1.2, even shooting into shady woods, mid-day you won't be at 6"-10" exposures.

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
I wonder how much recent events will affect sales of the Mark III?  Based on many recent internet reviews, I think new buyers looking to purchase a FF DSLR would be heavily leaning towards Nikon.  The success and reviews of the D800 and the light leak issue might sway new users to Nikon. 

Well, the D800 gets stuck at times apparently. Is this better or worse than this light leak?

Unfortunately, some Canon users are also experiencing some type of lockup. 

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5358.0

I hadn't heard that about the D800 (haven't really read up on it recently), but it's interesting to hear.  Gotta wonder what other bugs/issues will show up in the future from both cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »