December 19, 2014, 01:29:53 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Product Advisory  (Read 36311 times)

BDD

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Product Advisory
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2012, 11:25:15 PM »
This is nuts. You'd think Canon would have detected this in the QA process before releasing them. Glad I didn't run out and buy mine yet.

Though the D800 isn't immune from an early hiccup either. Forget what it was/is. Not that I'm considering a D800 or D4.

Will be interesting to hear what Canon plans to do for existing 5D3 owners and when this problem will be eliminated from future production runs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2012, 11:25:15 PM »

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2012, 12:22:09 AM »
I think we can have every confidence that Canon will right this, the Eye-Fi problems and lens IS issues. It would be devastating to their image not to (and potentially the images of their customers :P). I expect we will hear very soon their plan-of-action and I also expect a global recall for affected devices (all sold units, basically).

It is great that the customer is so critical of the products so that Canon themselves can build on what they have and will deliver in the future. Does all this talk affect sales? Of course it does. Will it affect Canon's profit margin and thus future research and development for new gear? Of course, but only to the most minor and negligible amounts. Let's face it, Nikon is also "struggling with production problems," with back-logged orders stacking to the roof, most likely to cover for their own array of fixes they have to implement before shipping the next batch.

Cameras are complex pieces of kit, let us not forget that; the odds of having something perfect out-of-the-box in such high-competition, fast-paced industry is quite low. Luckily, because of this competition, all we need to do as consumers is voice our concerns and the manufacturers will heed our calls.

In the meantime, get out shooting with your mostly-working 5D Mark III. Take photos: isn't that what photography is about?

(As for those with an inferiority complex envying the D800 mega-pixel count, you should have made a fuss about it while the 5D Mark III was still in the research and development phase. This is one thing a recall won't fix - that is, unless every 5D Mark III out there has a defective sensor - with the noise performance I am getting with my Mark III, I question anyone who could consider it the least bit defective. :P)

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2012, 01:04:18 AM »
I think we can have every confidence that Canon will right this, the Eye-Fi problems and lens IS issues. It would be devastating to their image not to (and potentially the images of their customers :P). I expect we will hear very soon their plan-of-action and I also expect a global recall for affected devices (all sold units, basically).

It is great that the customer is so critical of the products so that Canon themselves can build on what they have and will deliver in the future. Does all this talk affect sales? Of course it does. Will it affect Canon's profit margin and thus future research and development for new gear? Of course, but only to the most minor and negligible amounts. Let's face it, Nikon is also "struggling with production problems," with back-logged orders stacking to the roof, most likely to cover for their own array of fixes they have to implement before shipping the next batch.

Cameras are complex pieces of kit, let us not forget that; the odds of having something perfect out-of-the-box in such high-competition, fast-paced industry is quite low. Luckily, because of this competition, all we need to do as consumers is voice our concerns and the manufacturers will heed our calls.

In the meantime, get out shooting with your mostly-working 5D Mark III. Take photos: isn't that what photography is about?

(As for those with an inferiority complex envying the D800 mega-pixel count, you should have made a fuss about it while the 5D Mark III was still in the research and development phase. This is one thing a recall won't fix - that is, unless every 5D Mark III out there has a defective sensor - with the noise performance I am getting with my Mark III, I question anyone who could consider it the least bit defective. :P)

What problem is there with the eye-fi? I was thinking about getting myself one to play with.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2012, 01:50:47 AM »
What problem is there with the eye-fi? I was thinking about getting myself one to play with.

A few users are having their cameras lock up, displaying "Err 80: Electronic control or image malfunction." These users are predominately using either Eye-Fi cards or third-party batteries. There are many possibilities for this error though and Canon has been recommending people go through a list of potentials before writing off any future use of Eye-Fi cards. You can follow the developments here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5358.0

It may well be worth taking your camera to your retailer and asking if you can test an Eye-Fi card for 50-100 shots in-store before buying. However, some seem to be experiencing the errors continually, while others only once in 1000 shots or so from what I recall reading on photo.net.

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2012, 01:57:08 AM »

A few users are having their cameras lock up, displaying "Err 80: Electronic control or image malfunction." These users are predominately using either Eye-Fi cards or third-party batteries. There are many possibilities for this error though and Canon has been recommending people go through a list of potentials before writing off any future use of Eye-Fi cards. You can follow the developments here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5358.0

It may well be worth taking your camera to your retailer and asking if you can test an Eye-Fi card for 50-100 shots in-store before buying. However, some seem to be experiencing the errors continually, while others only once in 1000 shots or so from what I recall reading on photo.net.

hmmm interesting. Thanks for the info!
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

tasteofjace

« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2012, 02:08:31 AM »
I have been extremely pleased with the performance of my Camera since I received it weeks ago. Of course that may be because I have spent less time complaining about it, and more time shooting with it. However, I certainly agree that Canon should indeed correct these bugs and issues as they are discovered.

I am no stranger to the side effects that come with early adoption, especially in camera gear, so I was not at all upset or surprised when the light leak issue popped up.

Even though, I haven't notice it effect me at all in my shooting thus far, as an owner of the camera, I definitely want to know it is the best it can possibly be, so I certainly expect Canon to do what needs to be done to correct it.

pen43

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2012, 02:30:53 AM »
I do not understand why none of the professionals who have tested the camera for several months did not see the problem. Canon, you now know who to call next time!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2012, 02:30:53 AM »

ChrisJ_SLH

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2012, 03:29:13 AM »
I do not understand why none of the professionals who have tested the camera for several months did not see the problem. Canon, you now know who to call next time!

Just maybe because it wasn't actually a problem in real world scenarios?

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2012, 03:40:02 AM »

Just maybe because it wasn't actually a problem in real world scenarios?

I'm more surprised they didn't detect that crazy IS noise on EF 200/2.0 and EF 800/5.6!

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2012, 04:30:40 AM »
Though the D800 isn't immune from an early hiccup either. Forget what it was/is. Not that I'm considering a D800 or D4.

I heard D800 have an issue with green/yellow tint with its rear LCD screen
My 5D Mark III & 50L was recently stolen. So now I'm a man without a Canon Camera.

24-105L  | 100L | 70-200L II | 2x III | RX100M3

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2012, 05:08:00 AM »
5d mark iii light leak

light leak with normal operation in sunlight

That would explain my consistent under exposures in direct sunlight!
Of course it would.
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2012, 05:24:14 AM »
5d mark iii light leak

light leak with normal operation in sunlight

That would explain my consistent under exposures in direct sunlight!

Anybody ever tried taking a normal in sunlight shot and another one while covering the LCD to verify this under-exposure issue?

My 5D Mark III & 50L was recently stolen. So now I'm a man without a Canon Camera.

24-105L  | 100L | 70-200L II | 2x III | RX100M3

Michael7

« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »
Canon quality control stinks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
Anybody ever tried taking a normal in sunlight shot and another one while covering the LCD to verify this under-exposure issue?

No need to. The camera meter doesn't change once you take off the lens cap.

Try it yourself. Take the camera outside on a sunny day. Leave the lens cap on, have the full sun shine on the top LCD, take a meter reading. Shade the top LCD with your hand, take another reading; it'll be a stop or so different.

Now, take the lens cap off and try the same. Even if you're pointing at something dark in deep shade, the meter reading won't change.

Why? Because the meter is actually sensitive enough to get a reading in pitch dark, but it's a veeeeeeery noisy reading at those practically-nonexistent light levels. Noisy enough that the less-than-starlight leak through the LCD is able to alter the readings.

Think of it this way. You can light a candle at the far side of the field on a bright, sunny day, and you might not even be able to tell that it's lit. It certainly won't cast a shadow at that distance. Do the same thing in the middle of a moonless night and you'll have no trouble seeing the flame, and though you might not be able to see it cast a shadow, your camera can probably take a picture of the shadow.

I don't think there's any way to trigger the fault while using the camera (and its meter) within published specifications. Now, of course, people use their gear outside of the range of published specs all the time, and more power to them. And if Canon wants to demonstrate a bit of goodwill by helping those living over the edge, that's fantastic.

But pretty much everybody panicking or even whining about this is making a mountain out of a molehill when they live in the middle of a city where the only moles to be found are in the zoo a few hundred miles down the coast.

Cheers,

b&

CarpetFeet

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »

No need to. The camera meter doesn't change once you take off the lens cap.

[...snip...]

But pretty much everybody panicking or even whining about this is making a mountain out of a molehill when they live in the middle of a city where the only moles to be found are in the zoo a few hundred miles down the coast.

Cheers,

b&

Well said, TrumpetPower

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »