April 19, 2014, 09:43:57 PM

Author Topic: typical time between announcement and delivery?  (Read 3522 times)

mgoldst

typical time between announcement and delivery?
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:29 AM »
hi all, new poster here.

like many others i am in the market for a FF DSLR that will do video; i am in graduate school and need it for my work. i would go buy a 5D mk II right now but like everyone else i am waiting for a mk III announcement.

my question is, typically for canon, how long between announcement of a new body and actually getting one in your hands? a pro photog friend of mine said it could be as long a 3 or 4 months - maybe longer. is this true? i need it sooner than that, so even if they announce a mk III tomorrow I cannot wait until july or august to actually get my hands on it - if that is the case i will just get a mk II now.

thanks for any help!!

canon rumors FORUM

typical time between announcement and delivery?
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:29 AM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: typical time between announcement and delivery?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »
Your friend is right, plan on at least three or four months, and if its a super popular item, maybe longer.  I pre-ordered my 5D MK II on the day it was announced, but did not receive it until early December, about 3 months later.

Some people have been waiting on a 5D MK III announcement for a year.  The other 5d models followed the 1Ds announcement, so unless the order changes, that puts it out quite a while, maybe more than a year.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
I don't think there is a typical. Take the t3i. Announced in February, and 1 month later it's out.

I think the 5D3 will come quicker than later because Canon missed their usual 3 year cycle with the 1D update. Last 1D came out in Sept of 2007. That means Digic 4 processor is almost 4 years old, which is about 80 years in tech. Frankly, it's kind of embarrassing that Canon is using 4 year old tech in their top cameras.

Video in DSLRs is becoming very important. For me, it's the main thing, and all the video people want the 5D3 because it probably will have a moire free pic and more detail in the image. One of the main reasons why the 5D2 was such a huge hit was because of the video. Stills in DSLR is reaching a peak. Video in DSLR still has miles to go, and that is why I also think video will take on more importance

Canon is QUICKLY losing it's lead in the DSLR video world. The Panasonic GH2 has a much more solid video image (although I don't like the colors much and 2x crop is not ideal), and it is seriously eating in the video DSLR market that Canon created.

Canon needs to answer back to Panny soon, or else they are going lose the DSLR video market that I think is going to be very important in the future, as things converge more and more.

Remember not too long ago, people had a iPod for music, a cell phone and crappy camera for cheesy pics and maybe a cheap video camera for home movies. Well now, you can do all  that with an iPhone.  People are just going to want 1 camera that shoots good stills and video, and hopefully that is the 5D3.

So I think 5D3, sooner than later, especially since Canon is really late on their 3 year Digic processor update, which does not look good at all.

mgoldst

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »
thanks for the advice! i keep hearing "march" as the going bet for an announcement of the 5D mk3 so i think i owe it to myself to wait until the end of the months and then make a decision.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »