July 30, 2014, 07:41:56 PM

Author Topic: Canon T3i/600D Announced  (Read 32791 times)

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon T3i/600D Announced
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »
Yeah, I agree, but the weird part is the 600D is suppose to be under 60D or 7D, so making it better than those is weird without upping the other's as well..
The 600D may have a very slight edge on image quality (???) However, 7D has most of the feature and a metal body (for better or  worst is a personal choice), 60D lack a few features from 7D and with plastic body. 600D is plastic body and with a lot convienence and feature missing from 60D. picture quality is not the only thing that determines which is a better camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 03:01:21 AM »
Yeah, I agree, but the weird part is the 600D is suppose to be under 60D or 7D, so making it better than those is weird without upping the other's as well..

I hear this every time a new model comes out, people complain that either it does not have enough improvements, or that it has improvements that make it better than their camera.

It is always going to happen, wach model gets better, and Canon is not goinng to go back and retrofit previous models with the new features.

I think the 5D Mark2 will remain one of the very few that did - the manual video control.

Even if they just add a small new feature, every manual printed is then inaccurate. Thus I suspect the 5D Mark2 video issue must have been a "biggy" for them.

Neuron

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »
So, not to be a jealous 550D user, but is there any possibility of the HD-zoom feature to come to the 550D?

As far as I've read so far, they both have the same processor and same sensor so could it be as simple as a software update?

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »
So, not to be a jealous 550D user, but is there any possibility of the HD-zoom feature to come to the 550D?

As far as I've read so far, they both have the same processor and same sensor so could it be as simple as a software update?

to be frank: really really unlikely.  you paid for a product when you bought it, and you got the product you expected, as advertised.  there's no obligation for canon to retroactively make your previous purchase better.

yes, I know they did make some monumental firmware updates to the 5D Mark II ... but, being frank again here, that was a banner-carrying camera for them ... and the low margin, continuously updating rebel lineup doesn't command that same level of do-it-or-die respect from inside or outside the company

ELK

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011, 01:42:37 PM »

to be frank: really really unlikely.  you paid for a product when you bought it, and you got the product you expected, as advertised.  there's no obligation for canon to retroactively make your previous purchase better.

yes, I know they did make some monumental firmware updates to the 5D Mark II ... but, being frank again here, that was a banner-carrying camera for them ... and the low margin, continuously updating rebel lineup doesn't command that same level of do-it-or-die respect from inside or outside the company

Quite agree. And one more reason why 5Dm2 got these interesting video upgrades. Just because it had very strong competition from D700, which many believe to be a better photographic tool that 5Dm2. Although 5Dm@ sensor has more pixels, D700 is better in low light and has an incomparably superior autofocus system. None of these features Canon couldn't make any better via soft upgrades, so they decided to get their income from HDSLR shooters. (btw I express here my personal opinion, which has not much relation to absolute truth).

Neuron

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 08:15:22 AM »
I, respectfully, disagree with the sentiment. I'm not going to go all "I'm NEVER buying Canon again, blah blah blah". If they don't update the software for T2i users that's fine, irksom, but I'll live.

I just think that Canon and the rest should follow a computer software sort of model - where minor revisions, even the addition of some features are considered minor, are free while you are expected to pay for major revisions.

At any rate, HD zoom isn't the end of the world for me, it's more of a "it's nice to know I have it if I ever need to use it" sorta thing.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »
I just think that Canon and the rest should follow a computer software sort of model - where minor revisions, even the addition of some features are considered minor, are free while you are expected to pay for major revisions.

that's basically the way firmware works already.  minor updates are released via firmware patches to your existing cameras.  you are expected to pay for major revisions (aka purchasing a new camera).

having a number of family members involved in various steps of the software development and quality control process, it's clear to me the amount to energy invested purely in trying to have everything working cleanly and efficiently for new releases, without having to go and make everything back-compatible and re-test significantly modified software across all your older platforms as well.

I'd much rather canon focus on releasing the best possible new products, with all those bugs sorted out, than expending time, money, and staff re-working major updates for older cameras.  it's obvious the return on investment for canon doesn't make sense.  but more importantly, the return on investment for us as consumers doesn't make sense either.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »

Canonix

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2011, 09:28:22 AM »
Amazon Germany have also listed the 600D, but with no date of availability. Prices are €749 / €849 / €1049 (body only / 18-55 kit / 18-135 kit).

But they have also reduced their 60D prices to €849 / €939 / €1133 - only €100 / €90 / €84 higher than the 600D! Are they expecting sales of the bigger, heavier, 60D to drop, thinking that people are more likely to wait for the lighter, more compact 600D?

Amazon UK's prices are £679 / £769 / £949 for the 600D, a bit higher than in Germany. The 'release date' is given as 29th March.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:30:13 AM by Canonix »

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »

There can be a middle ground,  if Cannon can follow the software company's business model. Minor up grade of firmware is free (canon has been doing it for along time). Major firmware upgrade ( e.g. addition of functionality)will be sold to customer.  Just like the Phtoshop, If you have CS2 and want CS3..You need to pay for it.  That will save the consumer a lot of money.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2011, 01:55:44 AM »
that's basically the way firmware works already.  minor updates are released via firmware patches to your existing cameras.  you are expected to pay for major revisions (aka purchasing a new camera).

Canon should sell the "major firmware upgrade" and let you keep the camera. Just like a lot of people upgrade their PC operating system from "Vista" to "Widows 7" without buying  a new computer.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:30:22 PM by Rocky »

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2011, 09:22:01 AM »
Maybe when the 5dIII comes with (hopefully) digic V most of our video problems will be kinked out to the max...
What video problems? The rolling shutter issue?

foto

T3i vs. 60D
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »
Can't decide which one??

gene_can_sing

Re: T3i vs. 60D
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »
60D is probably better overall, but dang.... the T3i has the crop mode which is AWESOME. I seriously wish the 60D had it, so many artistic possibilities with that. The lame thing is, the crop mode is pretty much just a firmware update. All the Canons could do it, but Canon just chooses not to. Canon just keeps releasing the same Digic 4 cameras with firmware updates and maybe a flip screen, and try to market it as a new camera.

Until the 5D3 comes out.... YAWNNNN..... ZZZZZZZZZ....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »

foto

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2011, 10:02:08 PM »
I got the 60D, it is so heavy. Do you think I should return and exchange for the t31? It's probably $200 less

galwithawand

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »
are u a new dslr user? I'm also considering between these two now.. how much did u get the 60D for?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »