July 04, 2015, 11:07:43 PM

Author Topic: Largest softbox size to use with 600 EX-RT?  (Read 2494 times)

Perio

• EOS M2
Re: Largest softbox size to use with 600 EX-RT?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 08:52:03 PM »
Large mods are pretty useless with just one speedlite. You have to get them really close to get a usable amount of power in an octobox. In my use, two speedlites in the large photek soft lighter is the bare minimum to get a decent amount of power. So pushing a 60" softbox with one speedlite means you'll need to bump your ISO or shoot a faster aperture to get more power. Then you'll find you will be hitting your sync speed limit very quickly to control the ambient light. My best mod for a single speedlite is a 24" square pop-up softbox and the honl speed grids.

Anything larger than those, gang up two speedlites or use a strobe.

Yeah, I'll probably buy a 24" softbox and use it with 600 EX-RT. And also will get a larger softbox and use it with the monolight... omg, I'm so illiterate in all of this.. thanks guys for your suggestions  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 08:52:03 PM »

RickSpringfield

• Rebel T5i
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 09:35:14 PM »
Einsteins are the way to go.  Paul C. Buff, everything is less ............... except for the quality of light which is just as good as brands that are 2x - 4x more.  Even modifiers are less, octa's, bdish, reflectors, grids, etc.

Also ... if you're a hobbiest, the investment isn't such a budget shock that you are afraid to take a chance.  If you go that route ... the big octa's are BIG.

The only small nit with PCB is the build quality on the cyber commander.  It'll get the job done for sure.  Does it have the heft and feel of a well made electronic... nope.  Having said that I've never had an issue.

If on a budget... you could go with 3-4 of these Yongnuo's:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1113035-REG/yongnuo_speedlite_yn600ex_rt_for_canon.html

pwp

• 1D X
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 09:59:27 PM »
Einsteins are the way to go.  Paul C. Buff, everything is less ............... except for the quality of light which is just as good as brands that are 2x - 4x more.  Even modifiers are less, octa's, bdish, reflectors, grids, etc.

The only small nit with PCB is the build quality on the cyber commander.  It'll get the job done for sure.  Does it have the heft and feel of a well made electronic... nope.  Having said that I've never had an issue.

Agree 100% on Einsteins. My studio was entirely Profoto up until a couple of years ago, two Pro6 floorpacks and six Compact 600 monos and high priced modifiers. The cost of ownership was high, I was on first name terms with the Profoto repairs guy.

The Profotos are all gone now, and we're all the way Einsteins with six heads, VML's and a shedful of mods. Lightweight. Reliable. Brilliant. And I love that you can dial them down to just 2.5 w/s

The Einsteins and VML's are great for location work, but I have to say I've been taking a pair of Godox AD-360's (triggering with Phottix Odin's for HSS) a lot more often for small jobs. The two heads, batteries, cables, Odins and mods all tuck into a compact packpack. OP, if you want inexpensive, ultra-compact and high enough power (360 w/s) to work with a large softbox, the AD360's deserve a close look.

-pw

Pookie

• EOS M2
    • www.davidkm.com
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 10:45:56 PM »
Buff's are ok if you're static but if you're really looking for portability, Profoto B1 or Elinchrom Ranger or Quadra will be your best bet. I do lots of on site shoots for corporate, wedding and gen portraiture... nothing beats Profoto's or Eli's for onsite/studio versatility.  The B2's by profoto are nice but unfort not enough power to really compete with the sun and if you're outside that's what you'll need. The Profoto B1 is 500ws and the Quadra's are 400ws. Ranger's are 1100ws and typically way more than needed.

I use B1's, Quadra's and Rangers in my studio and on site. Stellar light and unfort... nothing Buff's could pull-off until the make them smaller/more robust.

5D3's Profoto B1 or Quadra's into a 1 meter Octa...

You won't be doing this with Buff's (shooting in the surf)...

anthonyd

• Rebel T5i
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 01:13:29 AM »
I'd say what you need is a godox 360, or maybe even the 180.  I'll speak for the 360, because that's what I have.

In comparison to a speedlight, it's waaay more powerful, even in comparison to the 600 so it will lit large modifiers with no problem. Also, it has a battery that will last for way longer than four AA.  Further, it's bare bulb, so it will fill the softbox beautifully, unlike a speedlight.  On the down side, it's bulky and heavy, but it's certainly portable and you can even mount it on the hot shoe.  I know I do, and I don't even have a professional magnesium body.

In comparison to strobes, it's somewhat less powerful (360ws versus 400ws or 500ws for common portable strobes) but it's way more portable.  Try mounting a strobe on your hot shoe!

Back to comparing it with your Canon 600, the Godox doesn't do TTL, it's manual only (albeit with a very easy to use remote power control), but it can do HSS (High Speed Sync) if you use the correct remote triggers, or have it on the hot shoe, so you don't have to worry about sunny days.
I'm attaching three pictures I did with it in the last month (the last one using HSS, since the background is in the sun).

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 04:26:28 AM »
Great thread

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 06:28:57 AM »
Buff's are ok if you're static but if you're really looking for portability, Profoto B1 or Elinchrom Ranger or Quadra will be your best bet. I do lots of on site shoots for corporate, wedding and gen portraiture... nothing beats Profoto's or Eli's for onsite/studio versatility.  The B2's by profoto are nice but unfort not enough power to really compete with the sun and if you're outside that's what you'll need. The Profoto B1 is 500ws and the Quadra's are 400ws. Ranger's are 1100ws and typically way more than needed.

I use B1's, Quadra's and Rangers in my studio and on site. Stellar light and unfort... nothing Buff's could pull-off until the make them smaller/more robust.

5D3's Profoto B1 or Quadra's into a 1 meter Octa...

You won't be doing this with Buff's (shooting in the surf)...

I've never used the B2's, but I've heard that they are surprisingly powerful enough.  250 vs 500 is just one stop, and I almost never blast my lights at full.  So I'm just curious why you don't think the B2's are enough?
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
www.k2focus.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 06:28:57 AM »

Pookie

• EOS M2
    • www.davidkm.com
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 12:03:29 AM »
I've rented them before buying 3 B1's... Not enough for me. I'd rather have more power and back down than struggle with not enough power (just looks bad in front of clients). Also, like the Quadras, it's 250ws per battery pack/module. Split that between 2 lights and you're s.o.l. for power. I use my Quadra's one light per module, that's 400ws for each... far more working latitude than only 250ws. Even if you use one B2 per pack you're still at 250ws, just anemic and something I have to constantly work around. I think Profoto cut the power to add the ETTL/HSS, functions I haven't used EVER so rather pointless when I already work the Eli's just fine.

I do loads of on-site work with large mods (1 meter is the smallest) and if you can't effectively battle the sun due to poor client locations, you're dead in the water. The Eli Quadras are barely sufficient sometimes at 400ws... initially I had been using a 3 Ranger set-up but the weight was ridiculous. The B1's are a good compromise power wise and are extremely portable. Currently using 3 B1's and when in run-and-gun situ, a 3 Quadra kit. The Ranger's only come out for studio work or large groups.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 12:10:34 AM by Pookie »

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 08:53:46 AM »
@Pookie - that makes sense for what you do.  using modifiers that big in bright sun requires lots of light.  most of the reviews i've seen have been from people using much smaller modifiers, and they were taking advantage of HSS (however, i'm not sure how powerful the lights actually are during HSS mode).
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
www.k2focus.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 08:53:46 AM »