November 28, 2014, 08:48:35 AM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak related issue?  (Read 2088 times)

rhythm_n_blues

Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak related issue?
« on: April 14, 2012, 12:36:31 PM »
I've had my Mark III for ~2 weeks and it seems that there is already a very heated issue on the light leak present inside the body somewhere that's connected to the top screen.

Now I started to notice something else that's going on in my view finder, I don't think there's much press on it yet because well the cameras are very new to everyone and people aren't usually obsessed with cleaning like I am; but I've found that there were dust particles that I could not reach with any of my cleaning solutions.. I've tried using a blower, lenspen, microfiber just about all the tools made for careful cleaning and there are still a ton of dust that doesn't budge at all. I initially thought it was me being a little too careful but some of the dust visibly seem to be behind a piece of glass around 1 ~ 2 millimeter thin and some even beyond. Has anyone else seen/has this issue? Is it likely that this is related to the light leak problem? Am I doing something wrong here?

For your consideration, I have one lens - the kit lens - which after I put it on the first day never really gave my camera the chance to get any sort of dust through the mount of the camera.

Canon you better set things right with a recall or something :C

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak related issue?
« on: April 14, 2012, 12:36:31 PM »

DanielG

Re: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak related issue?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:14:38 PM »
It might be on the sensor.

Try using the in camera dust sensor cleaning option in the menu.

If that doesn't help LIGHTLY blow a little air in the camera with a little blower.

One that got me on mine was I saw a spec of dust and couldn't get rid of it. I realized it was in the viewfinder on the back.

Good luck

scottcognato

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:15:20 PM »
Not sure if this is what you are talking about or not, but I've had (and I've read of at least a few others) a lot of problems w/dust finding its way into the viewfinder - I personally am blaming the crappy eye-cup piece that came w/the camera! It does not have any impact on the image, however, as it is only seen in the viewfinder. Do you see the dust in your actual image (or if you use live view), or is it just when you're looking through the viewfinder?

My problem is more annoying than an actual problem, so I tend to not care too much. I just don't know why they went w/such a piece of crap for the eye-cup, the one on my mark ii is significantly better... oh well!

llcanon

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »
It could be on the focus screen. Mine has a pretty good size of black spot in the viewfinder and some dead pixels, so I returned it. If it bothers you, return it and wait for Canon to fix the current issues.

rhythm_n_blues

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
It's definitely the view finder (I didn't notice them before), my thought is that if a light could leak into the body of the camera there must be enough room for dust as well.. But I understand that the light leak issue may be only an internal problem

EDIT: If i move around the camera around while the camera has it's lens taken off facing a bright light source, I can see that there's couple of layers (of glass?) the dust is stuck on (judging by how the dust moves as I move the camera in the light)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:52:10 PM by rhythm_n_blues »

scottcognato

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
It could be on the focus screen. Mine has a pretty good size of black spot in the viewfinder and some dead pixels, so I returned it. If it bothers you, return it and wait for Canon to fix the current issues.

Are the dead pixels related to the focus screen as well? I've been keeping my eyes peeled for dead pixels after reading so many people having problems w/that... So far that hasn't affected me, but my first wedding w/the camera is this weekend, so it'll be the first time I use it for more than an hour or so.

scottcognato

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
It's definitely the view finder (I didn't notice them before), my thought is that if a light could leak into the body of the camera there must be enough room for dust as well.. But I understand that the light leak issue may be only an internal problem

Ya, it seems like that whole top area of the camera needed a little more TLC before they released...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
I had a few dust particles on my mirror, easy to see in the viewfinder, easy to blow off with a rocket blower.

rhythm_n_blues

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
I can say with 100% certainty that the dust is between the diopter glass and the front viewfinder glass. I mean can't the light from the top LCD be leaked into the viewfinder then reflected/refracted through the pentaprism back to the metering system?

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »
I just talked to a dealer today and he said that Canon has stopped shipments.  So i guess there is a fix in the works.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »