July 22, 2014, 05:44:52 PM

Author Topic: Issues with Black Rapid?  (Read 13030 times)

EvilTed

Issues with Black Rapid?
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »
I bought a Black Rapid RS-7 strap for my 5D MK3.
I've only used it once but noticed scuffing on the bottom of my camera.

Looking at the C-clip connector, it's highly probable that this is the cause because it is capable of fouling the body.
Anyone else have similar issues?

Cheers

ET

canon rumors FORUM

Issues with Black Rapid?
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with Black Rapid?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »
I've never had a problem with scuffing, the camera hangs by the connector, it does not touch the bottom of the camera in normal use.

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 04:11:21 PM »
I just bought the RS-7 for my new 5D3 and like it a lot.   The RS-7 threaded attachment has a rubber washer that protects the camera from metal-to-metal contact.  So far I haven't had and problems.
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »
Can you post a snap of the bottom of the camera showing the scuff? One thing you might consider is attaching the BR to a Wimberly P5 generic Arca Swiss plate, that may keep the connectors farther from the camera body.

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 04:49:34 PM »
Can you post a snap of the bottom of the camera showing the scuff? One thing you might consider is attaching the BR to a Wimberly P5 generic Arca Swiss plate, that may keep the connectors farther from the camera body.

I also use the RS-7 with the 5D3 with an RRS L-plate attached.   I connect to the L-plate with a Kirk 1" clamp that is connected to the RS-7 threads.   This fully protects from metal-to-metal.  Also, it's very easy to get on and off a tripod - quickly.
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »
I own a couple black rapids and have tried several other strap brands. I can honestly say they all suck IMO. I got a SpiderPro Dual Camera System and it holds my canons like they are pistols on my side, a time tested way to haul gear w/o making your shoulders, chest and back sweat like mad on a hot day because you have straps on. I used to practically choke myself when i leaned forward at times, no more problems there anymore either.
If you want to check it out its here:
http://www.spiderholster.com/

No i wasn't paid to tell you this, and no this wasn't a commercial. 
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

bohaiboy

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:46:41 PM »
I must say this holster looks awfully good.  Anyone else have it?
Tim from Houston, TX Area
5DMkIII, 40D, Powershot, 24-105 L IS,100-400 4.5-5.6 L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:46:41 PM »

EvilTed

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »
The problem is the metal Carabina.
It is possible for this to contact the body and scuff it.

Try it if you don't believe me.
Just clip it on and rotate it with your hand.
On it's side, the metal rubs on the plastic bottom of the 5D MK3.

BTW, BR gave me a 100% refund, including the shipping cost and told me to just keep it.
that's excellent customer service in my book, just a pit about the strap.

I also got a C-Loop and their split strap, but one look at the puny plastic connectors made me return that one :(

Now I'm waiting for my Luma Labs Cinch strap.

http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

This one looks like it may be the keeper...

ET

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »

ET

It looks interesting. There is no shortage of innovation in the area of strap development of late. This can only benefit us all.

The_Arsonist

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Casey Roberts Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »
Despite the poor grammar across the site, this strap system looks interesting to me as a Black Rapid alternative

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/cs-pro-camera-sling-system
Fuji X100s
50D with Katzeye-------FL 55 1.2 (EdMika)--------Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS-------Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
What about Lens Loop? (Advertized on CR homepage)
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »
Seems simple, and roughly equivalent to BR for $35.00.  http://www.lensloop.com/  No kangaroo pockets or anything but probably more comfortable with a wide seatbelt strap instead of a the shoulder pad.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »

ET
That looks good because the 2 connection points make the camera sit flat against you instead of flailing around on 1 pivot point.  Also, it seems like if you hade a big lens with its own tripod mount, then you could actually leave that one free/open to put onto the tripod without having to undo your strap.  And the adjusty thing seems handy in the video at least.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:37:41 PM by ScottyP »
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

seekn

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »
I must say this holster looks awfully good.  Anyone else have it?

Yeah, I also use the spider holster.  I've been using it for almost a year now.  It is a great product.  There are two different size plates so make sure you get the right size for your camera. 
They also give you the option to just buy the plate or holster individually.  So what I did was buy the think tank belt and use the spider holster with that.  The reason I prefer it that way is because I can then add more more think tank units to carry lenses etc... if I want to.
Also, I had found a video aways back where I added an eye loop to one of the screw holes in the spydel plate at the bottom of my camera.  It lets me then attach a very very thin 5 dollar dog leash and use that as a neck strap in case I accidently drop my camera.  But there is no weight on the strap and it is so thin its very comfortable. 
Works well with tripod mounting plate as well.
Lastly I also added an extra attachment at the belt buckle - just in case the main buckle ever comes loose - it never has though. 
The only thing I can think of as criticism is that it can make you a little hweaty and hot in the small of your back where the belt sits all the time.  A good idea may be to wear it over your shirt.  But I like to stay inconspicuous so I put it under - if im not lazy I wrap a hankferchief around the belt to keep the belt dry there. 
Oh.. one more thing. I had an issue with their mailing and I contacted them and the owner personally contacted me to help me out.  So 2 thumbs up for customer service.   :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:09:56 PM by seekn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »

seekn

Re: What about Lens Loop? (Advertized on CR homepage)
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »
Seems simple, and roughly equivalent to BR for $35.00.  http://www.lensloop.com/  No kangaroo pockets or anything but probably more comfortable with a wide seatbelt strap instead of a the shoulder pad.

I was looking at this also.  Looks like a good idea.  My only question/gripe is the clasp.  It looks like its just a lobster claw type of thing.  I prefer something that is more secure like what BR has where you have to clip it on then screw it down to lock it in. 

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »
I use the capture clip from "Peak Design". I always have a backpack with me whenever I am shooting out so with the capture clip I do not need to have another extra strap or belt, the strap of the back pack is enough. Although I would like them to tweak with the design of the base-plate a little but even now it is very good use. Especially, given that I neither like the camera to bump against my body every time I walk nor do i like to hold the camera with my hand while I walk so this is the perfect system for me.
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »