September 16, 2014, 10:01:27 AM

Author Topic: What impacts does a metal L lens take without any iq degradation?  (Read 4591 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: What impacts does a metal L lens take without any iq degradation?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »
If you worry about marks, just get a LensCoat for it.  I have them on all my large lenses.  It makes it easier to handle the gear in cold weather and provides a layer of protection for the finish as well as small bumps etc..

Didn't know these, looks really nice and the US prices are still somehow sane for special items of this type - but unfortunately the import increases the price tag considerably and the item also isn't available - and I have to think about if it's worth it. Until then, I've taped my lens with generic green duct-like tape - removes the "big white lens" look (except for the protruding zoom element of the 70-300L) and prevents some scratches, too

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 08:03:36 PM »
This entirely depends on the direction and location of the shock.  The G-force sine wave, and other factors.  You might drop your lens from .5" and have it totally messed up, or it might fall off a table and be just fine...

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
This entirely depends on the direction and location of the shock.  The G-force sine wave, and other factors.  You might drop your lens from .5" and have it totally messed up, or it might fall off a table and be just fine...

Everyone has their "drop" stories, some miraculous, some tragic. I had a 70-200 f/2.8is on a 1Dmk3 body drop from waist height onto soft carpet. The body was a write-off and the lens was repaired twice but never the same and had to be replaced. Grrr...

Generally most gear is pretty tough within obvious reasonable limits. The best protection after good common sense is the lens hood, followed closely by the screw-on filter. Time and time again these two items have taken a knock and left me with a smashed filter, a bent or gouged hood but an undamaged lens.

Paul Wright

prestonpalmer

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 04:54:33 PM »
The best protection after good common sense is the lens hood, followed closely by the screw-on filter. Time and time again these two items have taken a knock and left me with a smashed filter, a bent or gouged hood but an undamaged lens.

Paul Wright

I completely agree, A lens hood on your lens is one of the all time best protections you can have.  It frustrates me sometimes how many photographers walk around clunking the front of their 70-200 on stuff. The hood is designed to take that abuse, NOT the front of the lens or threads.  Ugh.  Actually, my best friend dropped a 300MM right on its face, the lens hood cracked, and the UV(0) filter shattered.  Lens was perfectly fine.  the outcome would have been very different without the hood and filter.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
I drop my 24 L from about 1 foot high with no issues.  Typically i take very good care of my lenses.  The fact of the L lenses are not all metal would not discourage me from buying them.  Just treat them as jewel!

;D
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:26 PM »
this is a slight tangent but i just thought of it reading this thread....

never go through a revolving door with your camera slung behind your back and a flash mounted to it.  i did this once and soon heard a sickening "crunch" and a slight tug at my back. turn around to see my flash wedged in between the revolving door an the door frame. the door ripped it right off the hot shoe mount but thankfully missed my lens!

i can laugh about it now...not so much when it happened.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:26 PM »