October 01, 2014, 12:28:47 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Recall Update?  (Read 4322 times)

Otter

5D Mark III Recall Update?
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »
Does anyone have an update on the status of the 5D Mark III in regards to it being recalled or the light leak issue being resolved? 

I want to pick one up, but in my personal situation, if I'm going to spend $3800(CDN Price) for a camera, I do not want it having a light leak issue, regardless of whether people claim it is a small or unoticable issue.

I hadn't heard any recent news and thought I'd check to see if anyone knew anything further?

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III Recall Update?
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »

lessmore

Re: 5D Mark III Recall Update?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »
If you're already concerned about it, better to wait for an official notice from Canon. If you're looking for opinions from members, I doubt you'll get a consensus based on what's been posted on previous threads.

I had to return my Mark III because of an unrelated hardware problem. I'm waiting to see what Canon has to say before pulling the trigger again.

Otter

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:36:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm defnitely going to wait for some sort of resolution.  I just was unsure if anyone had heard anything from their local dealer or Craig or anyone else had any info/update.

LanceF

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:46:01 PM »
Do you want the camera yes or no?

You'll wait 2 months to hear about if there is going to be a recall and all that time you won't be shooting with the camera you want.

For me, in 2 months I'll send it in if I have to and have it back within the week and I'll have had months of enjoyment with my wonderful camera.  Plus they will check and clean my camera and load any new firmware on it too.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:52:16 PM »
I thought the issue was deemed almost a non factor in 99.99% of all shooting situations assuming you had a lens on the camera, shooting with your eye at the VF and the lens cap off the lens... not worth holding off on a purchase if you ask me 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »

Even though my 5D III seems to have light leak issue as reported - but it only happen when front cap is on....unless you plan to shoot without lens - then don't buy it.

Otherwise....I say YES.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »
what does a "recall" actually mean?

1. that the cameras get returned and everyone gets a full refund and can choose to buy the newly fixed model if they wish when it comes out

2. that it gets sent in for a service to fix the issue

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
I thought the issue was deemed almost a non factor in 99.99% of all shooting situations assuming you had a lens on the camera, shooting with your eye at the VF and the lens cap off the lens... not worth holding off on a purchase if you ask me

This.

The camera is performing within specifications.

Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

From the horse's mouth:

Metering Range
EV 1-20 (at 73°F / 23°C with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)

EV 1 @ f/1.4 @ ISO 100 is a one-second exposure. I just mounted my 50 f/1.4 and found a dark corner of a room to aim at that had the meter bug pegged in the middle at those settings. Turning the light on and off resulted in no change in measured exposure. At two seconds (and a darker part of the room), no change in exposure. Finally, at four seconds (EV -1, well below the spec), the light caused a third of a stop of error.

Still a third of a stop at eight seconds, and flicking between a third and two thirds at fifteen seconds -- and I was only able to get it down to fifteen seconds by partially covering the lens hood with my hand. When I had the lens hood mostly covered, I could get it down to 30", and the error was solidly two thirds of a stop. And anybody who thinks they've got a photographic light meter (built-in, hand-held, whatever) that's useful at EV -4 is nuts.

Oh -- and ambient temperature is 77°, in case you're wondering.

Cheers,

b&

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »
what does a "recall" actually mean?

1. that the cameras get returned and everyone gets a full refund and can choose to buy the newly fixed model if they wish when it comes out

2. that it gets sent in for a service to fix the issue

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »