September 18, 2014, 12:02:38 PM

Author Topic: New Species of Bird Discovered in Phnom Penh  (Read 1918 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
New Species of Bird Discovered in Phnom Penh
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:43:58 AM »
- sorry I do not have a picture but am hoping someone here does!

A team of scientists have discovered a new species of bird with distinct plumage and a loud call living not in some remote jungle, but in Phnom Penh, Cambodia!

Called the Cambodian tailorbird (Orthotomus chaktomuk), the species was found in Cambodia’s urbanized capitol Phnom Penh and several other locations just outside of the city including a construction site. It is one of only two bird species found solely in Cambodia.

From: http://www.wcs.org/press/press-releases/cambodian-tailorbird-discovery.aspx

I posted this here as so many people seem to love taking pictures of birds, and finding a new one is pretty exciting. Plus, as there are a couple of members from Cambodia here then we might even get some pics! Until then, Google Images will have to do I guess. :-)

Here is one which may be similar (the website describes it as the Dark-necked Tailorbird Orthotomus atrogularis:

http://twearth.com/images/cisticolas-and-allies/dark-necked-tailorbird-591243286a486660507b8e82c5278b42.jpg

Have you ever discovered an unknown species before? What is the rarest type of bird, or any animal, you have managed to take a picture of in the wild?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:48:02 AM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

New Species of Bird Discovered in Phnom Penh
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:43:58 AM »

Hobby Shooter

Re: New Species of Bird Discovered in Phnom Penh
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:18:40 AM »
Hey, as you know I've lived there, just moved back though after three years. I'm sorry but I've never heard of it. Had this come up just a couple of weeks ago I could've gone out to locate them. Sorry!

J

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 02:36:20 AM »
Have you ever discovered an unknown species before? What is the rarest type of bird, or any animal, you have managed to take a picture of in the wild?
Interesting ... thanks for sharing.
Unfortunately, my bird identification skills are extremely poor ... even if I saw a new bird, I wouldn't be able tell the difference from an another bird I've already seen before ... I probably will take a shot and walk away without ever knowing that I "discovered" a new bird :-[
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:27:48 AM »
Hey, as you know I've lived there, just moved back though after three years. I'm sorry but I've never heard of it. Had this come up just a couple of weeks ago I could've gone out to locate them. Sorry!

J

That's cool, didn't realise you had returned to Europe.

I am not a birder, but as I know a lot of people here at CR love taking shots of birds, I thought this would interest some of them.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:50 AM »

J

That's cool, didn't realise you had returned to Europe.

I am not a birder, but as I know a lot of people here at CR love taking shots of birds, I thought this would interest some of them.
Yep, since a couple of weeks. Back to Sweden where we today have 17 degrees and rain. My wife had to stay back a couple of weeks more though, they have about 40 degrees and rain in PP now.

Welll well, that's how it goes. We'll be back though, both for travel (already next year for me) and to live there most likely.

Have barely touched the camera since we got back, don't know what to take pictures of. I enjoy portraits and street mostly. Women here are fat and pale, no fun to take pictures of them :) and the guys don't have any stories. Gotta get used to that and also try to get out in Stockholm to shoot. In that sense I look forward to the fall as I like grey and gloomy.

I already look forward to getting back, mostly to Vietnam.

cheers
J

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:50 AM »