July 28, 2014, 10:09:03 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III in camera lens aberration correction  (Read 15101 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III in camera lens aberration correction
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »
In DPP, you must download the profiles for the various lenses, but the 85mm f/1.8 is not yet lested.

Good news though, your 24-70 f/2.8 II is supported :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »

Otter

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »
Where do you find the list of supported lenses?  thanks.

aloper

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
Actually, the lenses are supported for chromatic aberrations...It's just the profiles for these lenses are not loaded into the 5d mark III by default...

Install the EOS Utility that comes with the camera...then connect the camera to your computer via USB. Open the EOS utility. Once open, click on Camera Settings then Lens Aberration Correction. A window will open with lenses listed. Check and uncheck lenses you want support for...I think there is a limit of 40...don't remember for sure. Once done, click Ok...The profiles will now be available in the camera now...

I did this once and checked that the lenses I have were checked and also checked a few I plan on getting in the future...

Thanks, i didn't know that !

Will it work on my 7D also ?

Not sure...sold my 7D when I upgraded to the 5D mkIII...Easiest way to know for sure I guess would be to install or open the EOS utility and check while you have your 7D connected...

aloper

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 12:33:24 PM »
I need some help... My EOS Utility says that my 5D Mark III is not recognized. Any ideas?

As neuroanatomist mentioned, you have to install the version that comes with the 5D mkiii...older versions don't support the 5D mkiii...and as of now, you can't download the 5D mkiii version from the Canon USA website...so if you don't have the CD...your out of luck for now...

npc2396

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »
DPP version 3.11.26 is on Canon's website under the 5DIII updates so anyone that currently has DPP installed can download it.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »
Where do you find the list of supported lenses?  thanks.

Open DPP and select a image, open the tools palet and click on the lens tab.  Then under lens data, click update.  A list of available lens correction data will be shown.  Check the ones you need, the files are very large, so you don't want to check them all unless you have all the lenses.

When you use the lens correction, your cr2 file almost doubles in size, so its not something to just apply to 10000 images. 

Fotofanten

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »
Is there a list somewhere that shows all supported lenses?

Looks like I have to adjust my workflow as soon when my 5D3 arrives... Open in DDP, apply lens correction, convert to DNG, open in ACR and finally finalize in CS5.
Flickr

6D | Samyang 14mm | 35L | 40mm | 50L | 100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »

RedEye

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »
kinda bummed that they don't support the 135MM 2.0L.  It's a fantastic lens to start with but it would be fun to see what a perfected rendition of it appears like .

briansquibb

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 03:21:13 AM »
kinda bummed that they don't support the 135MM 2.0L.  It's a fantastic lens to start with but it would be fun to see what a perfected rendition of it appears like .

Dont do the mk1 versions of the large whites either

Flake

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 03:48:13 AM »
I just wonder what you're doing to get the 85mm f/1.8 to produce so many CAs as it's not a lens which is prone to them at all! Neither is the 50mm f/1.4 so this has to be something which you're doing wrong.

Photozone tests:

85mm) Lateral chromatic aberrations (color shadows at harsh contrast transitions) are basically a non-issue - this is a very rare characteristic.

50mm)  Similar to most other fix-focal lenses chromatic aberrations (color shadows at harsh contrast transitions) are very low and nothing to worry about.

My advice would be to work on your technique it's better to avoid problems than to try to remove them in post processing.  The lens hoods for these lenses are not supplied with them, so it might be worth buying them, and try to avoid the worst high light levels and sharp edges.

Then again the more I think about this the less sense it makes!  Taking portraits with a lens wide open and you're getting CA's?  on the face??  The background should be blurred out so the only sharp contrast possible is in the in focus areas, i.e. on the face.  I've never come across anyone getting CA's in this situation I might have suggested a faulty lens, but it's happening with both of them, are you sure that you're identifying this correctly?  There are lots of other potential issues when you open a wide aperture lens up.

AdamJ

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 05:46:38 AM »
I just wonder what you're doing to get the 85mm f/1.8 to produce so many CAs as it's not a lens which is prone to them at all! Neither is the 50mm f/1.4 so this has to be something which you're doing wrong.

Photozone tests:

85mm) Lateral chromatic aberrations (color shadows at harsh contrast transitions) are basically a non-issue - this is a very rare characteristic.

50mm)  Similar to most other fix-focal lenses chromatic aberrations (color shadows at harsh contrast transitions) are very low and nothing to worry about.

My advice would be to work on your technique it's better to avoid problems than to try to remove them in post processing.  The lens hoods for these lenses are not supplied with them, so it might be worth buying them, and try to avoid the worst high light levels and sharp edges.

Then again the more I think about this the less sense it makes!  Taking portraits with a lens wide open and you're getting CA's?  on the face??  The background should be blurred out so the only sharp contrast possible is in the in focus areas, i.e. on the face.  I've never come across anyone getting CA's in this situation I might have suggested a faulty lens, but it's happening with both of them, are you sure that you're identifying this correctly?  There are lots of other potential issues when you open a wide aperture lens up.

The issue with the 85mm f1.8 is purple fringing (longitudinal CA). It's quite noticeable at wide apertures in high-contrast areas.

Flake

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 06:29:05 AM »
Yes that can happen, but it's only when you push the lens to extremes, and with that knowledge any user should with minimal adjustment be able to work around to prevent it, and not looking for a cure in post production.

AdamJ

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »
Yes that can happen, but it's only when you push the lens to extremes, and with that knowledge any user should with minimal adjustment be able to work around to prevent it, and not looking for a cure in post production.

I don't understand your point of view at all. It isn't hard to induce purple fringing in that lens. What's the problem with correction in post production?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »

superpsilo

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 05:11:25 AM »
Actually, the lenses are supported for chromatic aberrations...It's just the profiles for these lenses are not loaded into the 5d mark III by default...

Install the EOS Utility that comes with the camera...then connect the camera to your computer via USB. Open the EOS utility. Once open, click on Camera Settings then Lens Aberration Correction. A window will open with lenses listed. Check and uncheck lenses you want support for...I think there is a limit of 40...don't remember for sure. Once done, click Ok...The profiles will now be available in the camera now...

I did this once and checked that the lenses I have were checked and also checked a few I plan on getting in the future...

Thanks, i didn't know that !

Will it work on my 7D also ?

Not sure...sold my 7D when I upgraded to the 5D mkIII...Easiest way to know for sure I guess would be to install or open the EOS utility and check while you have your 7D connected...

Just tried it and works on my canon 500d & 7d

lexonio

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 03:56:34 AM »
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but does anybody know if this function corrects barrel distortion as well? Thank you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 03:56:34 AM »