October 22, 2014, 07:33:44 PM

Author Topic: Light leak on 5D3 IS a big issue, and should embarrass Canon  (Read 25966 times)

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Light leak on 5D3 IS a big issue, and should embarrass Canon
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2012, 07:28:43 AM »

"hit millions of happy users"

you don't really think that there are that many people with 5D Mark III's do you?
In colloquial English millions means lots and lots. No one knows how may 5DIIIs will be sold, but you can bet it will be at least as many as 5DIIs

Um, "millions" can mean literal or figurative. I think in context you should of rather said "a lot" or "thousands" which is more specific and leaves less room for misunderstanding.

Where did you learn English?  ;D

England

I got a Masters in English at Oxford  :) now shooo
Oh really? Which college?

I love how this thread has taken on a better topic.

EDIT: Text found its way into quote.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:33:20 AM by swrightgfx »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2012, 07:28:43 AM »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2012, 08:12:12 AM »
If I’ve told you once I’ve told you a million times don’t exaggerate!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:32:41 AM by zim »

MazV-L

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2012, 09:40:30 AM »

you don't really think that there are that many people with 5D Mark III's do you?

In colloquial English millions means lots and lots. No one knows how may 5DIIIs will be sold, but you can bet it will be at least as many as 5DIIs

Um, "millions" can mean literal or figurative. I think in context you should of rather said "a lot" or "thousands" which is more specific and leaves less room for misunderstanding.

England
Ha ha. Brilliant. I cannot speak for where from ramon123 hails, but I do find myself misunderstood by those not of the same British language learning as myself, who often take my words too seriously, ignoring the sarcasm or exaggerated nature and taking everything literally!

Well I'm in the US and I got what he meant without issue. In my part of the country it's a given to not take everything so ridiculously literally. I do remember this one kid from out of state who moved in and he would constantly stop people like every few sentences to correct well, come on, you don't literally mean that now, arrr, ridiculous, could never get the concept that not everything is 100% literal to the bone!
It's Asperger's Syndrome.

briansquibb

« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
"tarnished the reputation of a fine camera"

reputation of a CAMERA???? what's with you people??
I do believe this was in reference to second-hand value, potentially reduced over a big fuss about a problem that is not symptomatic within the specifications of the device and has been evident on other models unnoticed for years.

Absolutely right - the 5D3 will now be tarnished as 'faulty', when in fact it is within specifications just that in an obscure situation the metering is slightly out (that could easily corrected in pp)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:22:00 PM by briansquibb »

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2012, 03:18:15 PM »

I do believe this was in reference to second-hand value, potentially reduced over a big fuss about a problem that is not symptomatic within the specifications of the device and has been evident on other models unnoticed for years.

Absolutely right - the 5D3 will now be tarnished as 'faulty', when in fact it is within specifications just that in an obscure situation the metering is slightly out (than could easily corrected in pp)

I'll offer $2500 to anyone for their 'faulty' 5D3.

Any sellers?

I didn't think so.

So much for the devaluation argument...
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

briansquibb

« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »

Absolutely right - the 5D3 will now be tarnished as 'faulty', when in fact it is within specifications just that in an obscure situation the metering is slightly out (than could easily corrected in pp)

Any sellers?

I didn't think so.

That is because they sent them back to Canon .....

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »

Any sellers?

I didn't think so.

The offer still stands when they get them back, since they will be forever devalued and all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »

Any sellers?

I didn't think so.

The offer still stands when they get them back, since they will be forever devalued and all.

Get a 1Ds3 at that price and you will have a fine catch

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »

Any sellers?

I didn't think so.

Thats an odd looking 1Ds3 in that photo!
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

briansquibb

« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »

Thats an odd looking 1Ds3 in that photo!

Carefull - the semantics police will be after you  ;) ;) ;)

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »
I think it's a red herring.   :) ;)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »

England
Ha ha. Brilliant. I cannot speak for where from ramon123 hails, but I do find myself misunderstood by those not of the same British language learning as myself, who often take my words too seriously, ignoring the sarcasm or exaggerated nature and taking everything literally!

Well I'm in the US and I got what he meant without issue. In my part of the country it's a given to not take everything so ridiculously literally. I do remember this one kid from out of state who moved in and he would constantly stop people like every few sentences to correct well, come on, you don't literally mean that now, arrr, ridiculous, could never get the concept that not everything is 100% literal to the bone!
It's Asperger's Syndrome.

You might think so from what I wrote but I'd have to say definitely no. Not one other thing about him even remotely hinted at that in any way whatsoever. (And I myself exaggerated a bit when I said constantly, although he would do it often enough.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »