April 19, 2014, 11:27:31 AM

Author Topic: Light leak on 5D3 IS a big issue, and should embarrass Canon  (Read 23173 times)

MrSandman

Re: Light leak on 5D3 IS a big issue, and should embarrass Canon
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »
I realize I’m stirring up a hornet’s nest by saying this, but here goes:

Why don’t we hear about this with the D800, D4, or D700?  How is it that Nikon managed to make their upper LCD displays not leak light into their cameras?  Do they have access to better light blocking materials than Canon?  Of course not.

(Again, I’m not saying I think Nikon makes better cameras - they don’t - but this is clearly an aspect where Canon dropped the ball.  I’m glad to see they intend to fix this defect.  But as a consumer dropping $3500 on a camera body, I want to buy one that comes from the factory without the defect!).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:21:52 PM by MrSandman »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »

t.linn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • You Must Have A Really Nice Camera
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »
Why don’t we hear about this with the D800, D4, or D700?  How is it that Nikon managed to make their upper LCD displays not leak light into their cameras?  Do they have access to better light blocking materials than Canon?  Of course not.

I think you would get more reasoned responses if you weren't overstating your case so much.  This is a design flaw but it's not a major one or it would have been caught prior to release.  You seem to think that it is possible to release a flawlessly designed camera but history shows that the 5D3 is just the latest to need a tweak here or there.  And it's not just Canon, although Canon users are going to be more aware of the issues popping up on Canon cameras. 

I can understand and appreciate your desire to acquire your 5D3 as soon as possible but, if you are concerned about the possibility of having to send your expensive new camera to Canon to get it updated, a better strategy would be to wait for a few months after its release.  This was true of the 5D2 and it will be true of the 5D4 too.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:33:40 PM by t.linn »

Alker

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 03:35:54 PM »
Why don’t we hear about this with the D800, D4, or D700?

Why don't we hear about this with the Canon 40D and 5D mark II ???
My 40D / 5D MK II show the same issue.

Maybe because we didn't test the old DSLR's with the lenscap attached ;)

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
I'll be honest. I was surprised to hear people even cared about this. It's such a non issue in nearly every situation.

People expect such perfection these days and if they don't get it "out go the toys from the pram". Sorry but that's how I see it. Every piece of serious equipment has flaws. It's impossible to catch it all.

Get over it.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
But as a consumer dropping $3500 on a camera body, I want to buy one that comes from the factory without the defect!).

Why do people seem to more easily tolerate a defect on a 50K car than a 3K camera?
Besides, there are almost no completely bug free products on the market. Some are minor and some are critical, but almost all products exhibit a flaw or another. Even the D800 - some are reporting lockup problems.

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »

(Again, I’m not saying I think Nikon makes better cameras - they don’t - but this is clearly an aspect where Canon dropped the ball.  I’m glad to see they intend to fix this defect.  But as a consumer dropping $3500 on a camera body, I want to buy one that comes from the factory without the defect!).

Clearly Canon didn't drop the ball. It's a tiny issue. Nikon have their own issues, for example http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1100467

sailingsilkeborg

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 04:04:55 PM »
I don't see anything harsh or out of line about the OP's view on this. This isn't about being a "good guy" or demonstrating that you can grin and bear the small stuff. And it's not about expecting a perfect product, either. It's about the expectation that for your money, which here, is plenty, you'll receive what we call a "merchantable" product.

The light leak seems to admittedly be a flaw, correctable or not. With all bigger money DSLR's, the manufacturer of the product needs to know that flaws that are incompatible with the basic object of the product aren't going to be considered small stuff. Likewise, loyalists and people that pride themselves in "not sweating the small stuff" can be mum if they choose to, but they shouldn't be squelching polite commentary about such issues. Trust me, manufacturers need to know that customer satisfaction and loyalty do not go so far as to make flaws or errors off limits to discussion. At the end of the day, if you expect less, you'll get less.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 04:04:55 PM »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
I don't see anything harsh or out of line about the OP's view on this. This isn't about being a "good guy" or demonstrating that you can grin and bear the small stuff. And it's not about expecting a perfect product, either. It's about the expectation that for your money, which here, is plenty, you'll receive what we call a "merchantable" product.

The light leak seems to admittedly be a flaw, correctable or not. With all bigger money DSLR's, the manufacturer of the product needs to know that flaws that are incompatible with the basic object of the product aren't going to be considered small stuff. Likewise, loyalists and people that pride themselves in "not sweating the small stuff" can be mum if they choose to, but they shouldn't be squelching polite commentary about such issues. Trust me, manufacturers need to know that customer satisfaction and loyalty do not go so far as to make flaws or errors off limits to discussion. At the end of the day, if you expect less, you'll get less.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on both sides.

However to me, this is what I object to:

"Either way, I’m returning mine, and will consider buying it again after Canon has satisfactorily addressed the matter.  Shipping a brand-new camera back to Canon to have it modified or repaired is completely unacceptable, and utterly out of the question."

I just think its totally fair to offer a fix and unnecessary to object to it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:15:55 PM by PhilDrinkwater »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 04:25:55 PM »
While I will say it IS an issue, it's an old issue... maybe it happens with nikons camera, maybe it doesn't.  It happened with the 5d2 and other cameras no huge outcry occurred.  It could be with the price increase, with the large anticipation for this camera, with the demand for this camera, everyone expected it to do everything but cook omelets for them.  In real world situations, it could become an issue, but then again i'm afraid you have a better chance of being hit by lightning that it affecting you in a shoot.  Not trying to be dismissive, i'm just not worried.  Frankly, having the 9 pt AF in the 5d2 was a far greater "defect" than this LCD leak in the 5d3. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Astro

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 04:30:38 PM »
The problem is users who take photos with their lens hoods on...

Really ?

https://vimeo.com/40135673

sice when do you shot with a DSLR... 3 days?   ;D

MrSandman

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »

Clearly Canon didn't drop the ball. It's a tiny issue. Nikon have their own issues, for example http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1100467

The D4 glitch you cited by the URL is an isolated issue experienced by one individual.  That is hardly comparable to a design flaw that affects every unit of said model.  You need to understand the difference between a glitch/failure and a design flaw.  Not adequately sealing a meter from ambient light is a design flaw.

altenae

• Rebel T5i
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »
Mrsandman,

It's really easy.
Don't like it don't buy it.

MrSandman

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »

"Either way, I’m returning mine, and will consider buying it again after Canon has satisfactorily addressed the matter.  Shipping a brand-new camera back to Canon to have it modified or repaired is completely unacceptable, and utterly out of the question."

Maybe it's just me, but I'm of the opinion that when something gets shipped to you as a defective product right from the get-go, it should be replaced, not repaired.  You are contending that I should be content to send my brand-new camera back to Canon to let them open it up and work on it.  Again, for a brand-new camera.  No way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 04:49:07 PM »
The problem is users who take photos with their lens hoods on...

Really ?

https://vimeo.com/40135673

Hey rushmore77,
She has 20/20 vision - Do you think she will see light if I remove the EYE MASK/blind?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:52:34 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I'm of the opinion that when something gets shipped to you as a defective product right from the get-go, it should be replaced, not repaired.  You are contending that I should be content to send my brand-new camera back to Canon to let them open it up and work on it.  Again, for a brand-new camera.  No way.

Yeah, they should be reliable like $35,000 cars that...oh wait, those get recalls too.   ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »