October 25, 2014, 04:09:51 AM

Author Topic: Light leak on 5D3 IS a big issue, and should embarrass Canon  (Read 26011 times)

chimpmitten

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Light leak on 5D3 IS a big issue, and should embarrass Canon
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »
Make sure you have the shutter button down half way so that it is constantly calculating the exposure when you do the back light.  You can also do a search for "5d mark iii light leak videos" that will show how it is done.
50D, 28mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8 II, 430 EX II, 580 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2012, 05:19:53 PM »
Make sure you have the shutter button down half way so that it is constantly calculating the exposure when you do the back light.  You can also do a search for "5d mark iii light leak videos" that will show how it is done.

In a real world situation, it's kinda hard to get an accurate meter reading with the lens cap on... this whole thing is so ridiculous... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »

I did that as well...
I guess Im clear of this issue :-)
iPhone 4s camera

chimpmitten

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »

In a real world situation, it's kinda hard to get an accurate meter reading with the lens cap on... this whole thing is so ridiculous...

Says you, but you haven't seen my 30 x 30 Giclée Watercolor print of the inside of a Canon 1200/5.6L USM lens cap.  It is beautiful. 

Shot wide open for a razor thin DOF.

AAPhotog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »
OK I had to cover the viewfinder lol. It did change exposure. Oh well...
iPhone 4s camera

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2012, 11:50:50 PM »

Says you, but you haven't seen my 30 x 30 Giclée Watercolor print of the inside of a Canon 1200/5.6L USM lens cap.  It is beautiful. 

Shot wide open for a razor thin DOF.

Fair enough. Any other application in which you aren't photographing the lens cap, it's a minor issue. I will say its quite amazing the 1200 focused that close, talk about macro photography!  :o :o :o
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Hesham

PLEASE NO BODY SHOULD MENTION THE LENS CAP ON.. CHECK THIS
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »
Ok, at least check the videos where night scenes exposure changes (without lens cap on). I can't believe how people defend a brand blindly. CANON THEMSELVES ACKNOWLEDGE THE PROBLEM!! IS THIS NOT ENOUGH PROOF?? I understand that this could happen to any company\product, it is a fact which we all will forget three months from now!

Hesham,

Can you point to some of the videos of the lens cap off that demonstrate the issue?  I did a quick look and the videos I saw of the lens cap off did not have the issue.  They only ones I saw demonstrating the issue were when the lens cap was on or no lens at all with the body cap.

If this is all that it is, when in the complete absence of light a few stray light waves manage to get in an effect the metering of a completely black scene so that it is a slightly different shade of completely black, then I am not worried in the least.   I doubt that Canon would even make any fix to the camera at all.

If someone could demonstrate how this effects things while actually taking a picture of something, then that would be great, but I haven't seen that yet, and I've been trying to look for it.

Here, I'll even give an example that should demonstrate the issue.  Maybe MrSandman can do this and post results.  Stand outside in bright sunlight with a telephoto lens and take a picture through a window into a darkened room.  Then go into the darkened room and take another picture.  When outside the direct sunlight should cause the light leak issue and screw up the metering.  Post both pictures so we can see the difference.

chimpmitten

How about this? Clearly NO LENS CAP!
D81 0512

canon rumors FORUM

PLEASE NO BODY SHOULD MENTION THE LENS CAP ON.. CHECK THIS
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »

chimpmitten

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE NO BODY SHOULD MENTION THE LENS CAP ON.. CHECK THIS
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
How about this? Clearly NO LENS CAP!
D81 0512

Yes, thank you very much.  That is the sort of thing I had unsuccessfully looked for. 

If that is the extent of the problem then I can easily live with this.  When taking long exposures like that I would generally use a 2 second delay to make sure that I am not shaking the camera.  There would be no need to leave the back light on during the exposure. 

Actually, I would probably be shooting manually, so changes to the auto exposure wouldn't matter anyway, but it is good to know the limitations and bugs of the camera.

Thanks again.

chimpmitten

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2012, 02:39:32 PM »
I’m posting this because I genuinely don’t understand what’s going on in that video.
The photo’s taken with the top plate light one look better exposed to me?
Also shouldn’t the viewfinder be covered there must be a light source shining into it? although maybe that shouldn’t matter as it’s a constant I suppose.

stevenrrmanir

« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2012, 02:05:41 AM »
The light leak issue is NOT of concern to the Cannon fanboys! They will blindly purchase anything Canon throws at them! It looks like Canon is too cheap to properly seal their $3500 bodies!

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2012, 04:03:05 PM »
The light leak issue is of no concern to people who actually photograph things other than charts and the back of the lens cap.

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2012, 05:16:18 PM »
The light leak issue is NOT of concern to the Cannon fanboys! They will blindly purchase anything Canon throws at them! It looks like Canon is too cheap to properly seal their $3500 bodies!

I think you may have found the wrong forum... nikon roumors is over here > http://nikonrumors.com/
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »

I think you may have found the wrong forum... nikon roumors is over here > http://nikonrumors.com/
+1
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »

mh1973

« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2012, 04:47:39 AM »
At this week, Canon has provided workaround for reparation. However, they roughly announced serial number of flawed product at the same time. Obviously, Canon has no consideration of first users. Also, it indirectly hit and hurt first users again. it caused that first user will lose good price of 5D3 at 2nd hand market in the future once they would like to sell. Becuase all buyers know serial number is a flaw ones... Even if it has been repaired... buyer also are concern about disassembled body. Canon should handle this affair more carefully. Because most of first users are loyal and believe Canon's product. Unquestionably, Canon will lose goodwill if no good repairation for first users.  :(

briansquibb

« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2012, 05:03:57 AM »
At this week, Canon has provided workaround for reparation. However, they roughly announced serial number of flawed product at the same time. Obviously, Canon has no consideration of first users. Also, it indirectly hit and hurt first users again. it caused that first user will lose good price of 5D3 at 2nd hand market in the future once they would like to sell. Becuase all buyers know serial number is a flaw ones... Even if it has been repaired... buyer also are concern about disassembled body. Canon should handle this affair more carefully. Because most of first users are loyal and believe Canon's product. Unquestionably, Canon will lose goodwill if no good repairation for first users.  :(

Yep the whiners publically whined long and loud about a glitch that shouldn't affect them and it has hit them in the pocket, hit  millions of happy users in the pocket and tarnished the reputation of a fine camera

I hope they are pleased with themselves and will be able to sleep soundly knowing they have achieved a 'result' by 'forcing' Canon to rectify a minor problem that would never have impacted them >:(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:05:29 AM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2012, 05:03:57 AM »