October 31, 2014, 06:48:44 AM

Author Topic: 60D & 7D Rebates coming February 20  (Read 62027 times)

Ingersoll

Re: 60D & 7D Rebates coming February 20
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »
Amazon has the 7D kit for $1699, but curiously the 60D is down to $1143. That's more than $50 less than when I picked it up last week!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »

tombo

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 10:22:34 PM »
Just got my 7d in from amazon yesterday.  Rebate? Nuts. Still its what I wanted.  Waiting for my cf card.  Wish it would take sd or cf.  Now that would be great.   Yeah, yeah, I know cf is supposed to be better.  Still, how many of you have used a sd card recently.  They're pretty damn good. 

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 12:23:08 AM »
Yeah, I've been using my SD card lately (not that I have a choice - there's two slots but one for SD and one for CF).

I think SD cards have seen significant improvement over the past few years, but unless you're willing to fork out a fortune, I think the affordable ones are still a bit slow at writing compared to the CF cards (again, CF cards usually costs a bit higher than their  SD counterparts of the same level).

But again, the slower speed isn't so evident unless you're firing away RAWs at the speed of a machine gun *lol*
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 02:03:42 AM »
Compact flash is significantly faster than SD.

SD class 10 (the fastest you can get) = 10MB/s = CF x66 (probably the slowest you can get)

High end UDMA CF cards these days are up to x675 = 100MB/s.  Which is almost fast enough to shoot a 7D continuously at full speed (jpeg) without buffering.  If the 7D came with an SD slot, it would be unusable.

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 12:12:19 PM »
10mb/s isn't the fastest SD card. I have a 30mb/S SD card.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

bobthebrick

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 02:02:51 AM »
I also have a (2) 30mb/s SD card. 30mb/s is class 10, 10mb/s would be i think class 4. 30mb/s = about 240x

ELK

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 04:43:24 AM »
No worries if you already bought the camera.  You likely didn't miss out on a discount.  Dealers are notorious about raising prices at rebate time.  The claim is that Canon makes them do it.

Prior to the last rebate at Christmastime the 7D body-only was $1499USD.  Rebate time jacked the price to $1699 and then the $100 rebate brought the price back down to $1599, a higher price than the pre-rebate one.  Once the rebate ended, the price went all the way down to $1469.

I've found that LENS rebates are actually true rebates....
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If what you said is true, then that means when Canon does a rebate, less people will buy the camera as the price will be more. Therefore, Canon would anticipate overall less sales with the rebate. So if that was true, then Canon would deter potential sales by releasing the rebate. Why would they want to halt sales?

In the worst case scenario, they (being the retailers) keep the price the same and simply keep the entire rebate for themselves. But it makes no sense whatsoever that they would RAISE the price, because they'll be shooting themselves in the foot.

What CameraAddict says IS TRUE, I monitored the prices too, so that was absolutely the scenario he describes. So a comment like "it doen't make much sense", doesn't make much sense at all! :) sorry for pun :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 04:43:24 AM »

xstrm

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »
No worries if you already bought the camera.  You likely didn't miss out on a discount.  Dealers are notorious about raising prices at rebate time.  The claim is that Canon makes them do it.

Prior to the last rebate at Christmastime the 7D body-only was $1499USD.  Rebate time jacked the price to $1699 and then the $100 rebate brought the price back down to $1599, a higher price than the pre-rebate one.  Once the rebate ended, the price went all the way down to $1469.

I've found that LENS rebates are actually true rebates....
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If what you said is true, then that means when Canon does a rebate, less people will buy the camera as the price will be more. Therefore, Canon would anticipate overall less sales with the rebate. So if that was true, then Canon would deter potential sales by releasing the rebate. Why would they want to halt sales?

In the worst case scenario, they (being the retailers) keep the price the same and simply keep the entire rebate for themselves. But it makes no sense whatsoever that they would RAISE the price, because they'll be shooting themselves in the foot.

What CameraAddict says IS TRUE, I monitored the prices too, so that was absolutely the scenario he describes. So a comment like "it doen't make much sense", doesn't make much sense at all! :) sorry for pun :)

Funny on Amazon, the $1453 price is sold out and on back order now, and looks like the new pricing for body is $1529. seems to be following the trend of going up. Well we're less than a week away to find out the price minus rebate. should be intersting.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 07:10:16 PM »

Watch your units.  10Mb/s is not equal to 10MB/sec.

30mb/s is approximately equal to 3MB/s which is class 3.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile

rnadoc

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »
I have been following 7D prices as well. Amazon's price has jumped but it is now from another seller. There have been several different sellers from Amazon in the last month and the price has jumped around a bit. Currently sold by Calumet. One of the kits is sold directly by amazon and another is sold by Samy's Camera and doesn't even qualify for Prime.

BH, however, has maintained the same price $1479.

We will see what happens as the week goes on.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 09:45:52 PM »
I meant to post this earlier, but will do so now.

I think one thing to look at is the price on the Canon USA site, which currently lists the 7D at $1,699. To me, that indicates that Adorama and B&H have about $220 (from the current $1,479 that they are selling the 7D at) to play with when rebates get announced. They can raise their prices up to the manufacturers suggested retail price, but they probably won't (maybe can't) raise their prices above what Canon sets as the retail price.

It's no guarantee that they will raise their prices up to the full MSRP and they may not raise them at all, but if Canon offers a $100 rebate, they can raise the price by $100 and still be more than $100 under the official retail price.

For comparison purposes, both Adorama and B&H are selling the 60D for $888, instead of the $999 Canon sets as the official price. In contrast, both are charging the full retail price for the T3i. ($899 with kit lens).

I'm not going to risk giving anyone bad advice, but just suggest this is something to think about. (Well, I might give potential T3i buyers this advice: I don't think you have much to lose by waiting to see what the rebates are, since I can't imagine Canon is going to raise their own MSRP when the rebates go into effect.)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 06:02:24 AM »

The current SanDisk Extreme SDHC cards are rated at 30 MB/s (that's big-B Bytes, not little-b bits!).  That's the same as the (discontinued) SanDisk Extreme III CF cards. 

SanDisk has also just launched a new Extreme Pro SDHC card with a rating of 45 MB/s.  That's the same rating as the (also discontinued) SanDisk Extreme IV CF cards.

So, while it's true that the fastest SDHC cards don't quite reach 60 MB/s UDMA speeds, they are half as fast the Extreme Pro 90MB/s UDMA6 CF cards.  If you really crave speed and storage, consider the new 100 MB/s UDMA7 card from SanDisk...of course, you would spend less on a new 7D...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 06:02:24 AM »

niko

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »

The current SanDisk Extreme SDHC cards are rated at 30 MB/s (that's big-B Bytes, not little-b bits!).  That's the same as the (discontinued) SanDisk Extreme III CF cards. 

SanDisk has also just launched a new Extreme Pro SDHC card with a rating of 45 MB/s.  That's the same rating as the (also discontinued) SanDisk Extreme IV CF cards.

So, while it's true that the fastest SDHC cards don't quite reach 60 MB/s UDMA speeds, they are half as fast the Extreme Pro 90MB/s UDMA6 CF cards.  If you really crave speed and storage, consider the new 100 MB/s UDMA7 card from SanDisk...of course, you would spend less on a new 7D...

Tranfer rates are determined by the weakest component in the path and I do not believe that the camera tech/hardware is able to push data at those rates (yet and probably intentional).  This greatly diminshes the memory card rating importance as the specified transfer rated are not (and probably never will be) achieved in actual usage.  There is probably not that much difference in use between a mid level and a high level card (say 60 and 100 MB/s)

Also the manufacturers tend to exagurate (a little) and actual vs. theoretical in real world scenarios are (quite) different.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 03:45:15 PM »
Tranfer rates are determined by the weakest component in the path and I do not believe that the camera tech/hardware is able to push data at those rates (yet and probably intentional).  This greatly diminshes the memory card rating importance as the specified transfer rated are not (and probably never will be) achieved in actual usage.  There is probably not that much difference in use between a mid level and a high level card (say 60 and 100 MB/s)

Also the manufacturers tend to exagurate (a little) and actual vs. theoretical in real world scenarios are (quite) different.

Some real world testing here. 

The fastest camera / memory combination I saw during a quicl look was the Sony A=900 at 35.5 MB/sec.  Thats pretty fast.  The Canon 5D MK II manages 32.6 MB/sec.  He did not test any cameras with SD memory.

For flash memory, CF card to computer transfers were tested 97.3 MB/sec with the fastest reader and cards.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/reader_report_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9392

SD memory doesn't really come close, with about 25 MB/sec being the fastest card to computer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 03:45:15 PM »