August 27, 2014, 09:08:09 AM

Author Topic: 60D & 7D Rebates coming February 20  (Read 60782 times)

WeatherWarriorMedia

Re: 60D & 7D Rebates coming February 20
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 04:44:50 AM »
B&H (and in part Canon) just lost themselves some sales.

I too was awaiting the discount to kick in. I actually was going to get the 9500 printer too, but all that has changed. I'm going to get a damn good used camera now since I don't feel like giving Canon the new camera purchase. I won't be buying the printer at all...go with a better brand and I'll probably go with third party accessories as much as possible.

The big loss, I won't pimp their products, probably even talk loudly (I love the power of twitter) about Canon's poor business practices. In fact, I have to double check the law on this too. I know some department stores got fined huge for pulling pretty much the same stunt. But I'm not business law lawyer. Hell, I'm not even a lawyer, but google can't be your friend sometimes.

I will say this: I would NEVER operate my business that way...in fact I can't tell you how many times I've walked out of places that pull the 'bait 'N switch' BS. And they pull this in a bad economy. JEEZ how disgusting.

salisburyMayo

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2011, 06:27:45 AM »
I just joined this web forum so I can vent about the absolute stupidity in Canon's distributor / dealer network.

I'm relatively green to this whole area of things, therefore, I'll comment most directly on B&H Photo and Canon USA.

Here is Fact A: B&H along with other retailers had been openly advertising the 60D body for $88X as of recently. Obviously this wasn't in violation of Canons MAP (minimum advertised price) policy.

B: The new magic Feb. 20 re-pricing and "instant rebate" gimmick is one of the most unsavory forms of revenue generation for such an established group of retailers and manufacturers.

As a person looking for entry into the DSLR range and looking very seriously at the 60D, this maneuver has already given me cause to give a second  thought to Nikon.

Sincerely,

A former champion of Canon products

c-law

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Chris Law Photography
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2011, 06:55:12 AM »
Well, I don't know about you guys but I just picked up a new 7D from Calumet for $1329.

I checked all the links on the Canon Rumours Price Watch page and while many had put their prices up (and Amazon haven't taken notice one way or the other yet), Calumet have honoured the instant rebate and brought it down to a decent price.

I'm looking forward to having a new back-up body and something with a little more reach than my 5DII for my trip to South Africa next month.

Chris
Canon 5D MkII, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200m f/2.8L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, 580EX, LP160, a couple of home made macro & pinhole lenses.

vftw

do not get it
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2011, 07:21:42 AM »
this Canon rebate business is confusing.  I am looking to move up from my trusty G9 to the world of dslr photo and video, so I have been tracking the 60D on Tigerdirect where the price has been posted as $1099.99.  I passed on an eBay auction yesterday for a 60D that went for under $1k with kit lens, hoping to score a $100 rebate on a new one today.  Instead Tigerdirect has raised the price to $1199.99. 

This monkey business has sent me scurrying back to picking up a Sony SLT instead with their video autofocus; not sure I like how Canon does things...we'll see...

canoncrooks

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »
BULLCRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canon.  You just made me weary for life on your sales techniques.  I have waited 2 weeks to research and to see what would the prices be like today.  It is ridiculous that online retailers have a price of $888 for the 60D and now the price after rebate is $899.  I am this close to getting a Nikon D7000 (since I have no ties to any DSLR gear yet).  Nikon has also made their pricing make sense to Canadians.  It is the same price for the body in Canada as it is in the USA online retail game.   Canon, you seriously hurt my view of your reputation.  Either forget the marketing or offer REAL rebates.

Kuscali

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
Well, I don't know about you guys but I just picked up a new 7D from Calumet for $1329.

I checked all the links on the Canon Rumours Price Watch page and while many had put their prices up (and Amazon haven't taken notice one way or the other yet), Calumet have honoured the instant rebate and brought it down to a decent price.

I'm looking forward to having a new back-up body and something with a little more reach than my 5DII for my trip to South Africa next month.

Chris

I do not know what you are talking about but calumet price shows 1329 before you click add to cart, then it shows 1499. I am very pissed off, I was very close to getting a 7D today, maybe I will sell my lenses? D7000 has great picture quality, and it's price is right too.

cmelbye

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Well I saw this coming a mile away thanks to this page.

I bought a 7D body only from tigerdirect.com last week Wednesday. At the time it was 1449.99 and the kit with the 18-135 lens was  1899.99. I wondered why the body only was so cheap but I have it in my hands! I also checked out B&H and other sites. As I recall B&H was 1487.00 for the body only.

Lo and behold, today the body only (which one would think would now be 1249.99 is unavailable (with no price posted) and the kit is 1699.99.

I am very happy with the camera but I agree... there is some bait and switch going on with sites lik B&H and others.  Good way for them to lose business and reputation. Negative comments go a looooooooooong way.

Good job Canon. I think I will buy Sigma lenses for my new camera now....

mharvey

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
B&H had the 7D body only at a list price of $1899 this morning, with rebate price was $1699. They have since changed this... new price shows $1699 list minus $200 instant rebate for a cost of $1499

sbarbian

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2011, 11:04:36 AM »
I have been waiting to purchase the Canon 7d.  I've been watching B & H website for a month or so because I'd really like to upgrade and they seemed to have the best price.  Then I thought with the rebate it would be even better.  The price before was around $1479.00 - no charges for shipping.  As of today, the price went to $1699.00 with the rebate.  That's ridiculous to raise the price.  Best Buy has the 7d for $1453.99 but it's sold out.  They had it in stock last week.  I'm going to call this morning.  You can get 18 month free financing.  Good luck everyone. 

slamers

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »
I had been watching both Calumet and B&H waiting for this - just like everyone else - and found the same tactics. Prices were raised today only to say there was a rebate. Did they think we were all just not going to notice? What gives....

CameraAddict

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »
To everyone who is mad about the rebate prices, I'm not sure why.  They do this every time.  They did it this last November/December.  I warned people.  They just treated me like I was crazy. 

The 3 or 4 big players all know you have very little choice but to buy from one of them, which is why they all have about the same price.  Getting mad about it only hurts you.

To those who say, maybe I'll get a D7000, all I can say is good choice.  Spec-wise, it's actually a better camera than the 60D.  In practical use, it's probably no different, image quality wise.....

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2011, 12:01:12 PM »
Amazon  is still having 7D at $1457 and 60D at $888

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »
Boo... I just signed up to vent as well.  Add another angry kid to the block.

:)

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »
B&H had the 7D body only at a list price of $1899 this morning, with rebate price was $1699. They have since changed this... new price shows $1699 list minus $200 instant rebate for a cost of $1499

Just saw this.  Not TOO bad... I just think some here were hoping for a little better.

However, the fact that everyone has dropped their LIST price to $1699 is a good sign for the long term.  Once the rebate period ends, the 7D may drop to the 13/12-hundred area (assuming the list price holds).  The only thing is, can you hold out that long? 

Considering LIST used to be $1899, I see this as a good sign, as lower prices may be coming in spring.  But some might see this as a bad sign, as this might be an indicator of a replacement model on deck for the coming months - which could lower the resale value of the 7D.

TeamWahoo

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »
Ok, I get it now...this whole rebate scam was just to get new folks to sign up on Canon Rumors, judging from the number of first poster's  ;D  (Me included)

Like the rest, I've been glued to B&H, Adorama and a number of other sites, waiting for the announced rebates to kick in.  I knew, from other posts, that there was a possibility of a bait and switch but I took a chance and waited.  I've had a wish list @ B&H for 2 weeks and was ready to purchase the 7D with 2 lenses/filters/hoods. 

The 7D body price had been $1479 up until yesterday when it went to $1482.  I was on the B&H site at midnight and the price was still $1482 with a $200 rebate on the purchase of the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens.  At 1:30 the price was the same and I figured that B&H would simply forego the discount, since the price was already $200 under retail.  When I got up this morning at 7, I checked the site an saw a $218 INCREASE from just a few hours earlier.  I WAS PISSED!

I wanted the camera in time to cover my daughter's swim meet (she swimming to 100 butterfly as I write this), but I figured saving $200 would be worth missing pictures at this meet!  Now I'm even more pissed!

I did't know whether lumping B&H and other retailers into this mess was right, thinking that CANON was the culprit by forcing retailers into the bait & switch.  I guess some are complicit since I just found the 7D body at 42nd Street Photo for $1430!

Anybody want to offer an opinon on 42nd Street?  Reputation, personal dealings etc?

I guess the bottom line is that for me, B&H has put this camera on sale at $18 more than the regular price.  Hooray for me. :'(

I say that CANON has disgraced itself and as a result, should consider corporate Seppuku for this offense.  >:(

btw, the Amazon $1457 deal is out of stock as are many others.