September 17, 2014, 03:44:30 AM

Author Topic: 60D & 7D Rebates coming February 20  (Read 61127 times)

FastMan

Re: 60D & 7D Rebates coming February 20
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »

Its called marketing, get over it.

Tombo, it's called deceptive marketing.  If you just roll over and accept it, you're guaranteed to receive more of it.  Those who protest can do so by purchasing elsewhere, or contacting the companies to voice their disgust.  Those who speak up are actually doing the company a favor, if the company actually has the smarts to use the opportunity given them.  I gave B&H that opportunity, and they blew me off, so I'll return the favor in the future.  I'll see how Canon responds to me, then decide if I stay with canon.  Nikon makes nice equipment too.  At least I've given them a chance to wise up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »

gwac

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »
New to the forum, so I'll add my opinion FWIW.  This so-called "rebate" stinks.

I post on Twitter this morning ... "Extremely disappointed with @bhphotovideo - Waited for $200 rebate on Canon 7D to begin today & overnight they raised price by $400"

Three hours later, @BHphotovideo posts ... "We had an error which was corrected, sorry about that ..."

Then get a reply from Henry Posner @bandhphoto ... "@Bill, your disappointment is unfortunately misplaced as our price changes were dictated by price hikes from Canon USA to retailers"

Whether my disappointment is misplaced is moot.  A "rebate" suggests a reduction in price. This is not a way to treat customers.

sam skipper

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »
Price: $999.99 $100.00 Instant Savings!
Offer ends 03/19/2011
 You Pay: $899.99

better hurry sale ends 3_19_2011

Sorry - brand new to forum - and my first 2 posts are negative
--canon made me do it!

rnadoc

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
Let's face it...we're all mad because we thought we could get an awesome camera and/or lens(es) at a discount. Fact is, you have to pay to get this kind of equipment. I agree it's lame to offer a "rebate" then mandate a certain price (per the BH's excuse). Does anyone who has posted to this forum know how the pricing works? I don't pretend to know. There must be some agreement between the vendors and canon that, to honor the rebates, they have to sell at the MSRP. I know from buying things on amazon that the price is often not listed until it's in the cart because amazon is selling at a price that is below MSRP. I don't know the details, but it seems that we've been seeing prices with discounts built in all along.

I'm going to buy a 7D. I wanted to knock the price down to $1300, but $1499 is still better than $1699 for a top notch camera. The double rebates with the lenses when purchased with 7D will save me some money.

Canon's website has said $1699 for the 7D at least as long as I have been checking. So, $1499 IS a $200 rebate.

Regarding best buy. At least where I live, we don't pay taxes on purchases from amazon and BH. Now, wer're supposed to report those purchases and pay taxes on our honor. Recently, the courts struck down the my state's request to get personal information about purchases from amazon.  Anyway, WHY pay potentially over $100 in taxes for a camera or lens when you can get it as quickly as overnight from an online retailer? I go to best buy and whip out my amazon app on my iphone and scan in the bar code of the item I'm looking at. I instantly get amazon's price. Sometimes it's the same, but with shipping, best buy never wins. The only reason to buy best buy is the geek squad.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:46:01 PM by rnadoc »

c-law

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Chris Law Photography
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »
Well, I don't know about you guys but I just picked up a new 7D from Calumet for $1329.

I checked all the links on the Canon Rumours Price Watch page and while many had put their prices up (and Amazon haven't taken notice one way or the other yet), Calumet have honoured the instant rebate and brought it down to a decent price.

I'm looking forward to having a new back-up body and something with a little more reach than my 5DII for my trip to South Africa next month.

Chris

I do not know what you are talking about but calumet price shows 1329 before you click add to cart, then it shows 1499. I am very pissed off, I was very close to getting a 7D today, maybe I will sell my lenses? D7000 has great picture quality, and it's price is right too.

Sad news. I must have been one of the last to slip in under the radar before Calumet did the price hike along with everyone else. I bought it about 3:45am PST so the instant rebate must have been put on first and then the price increased later as opposed to the other retailers which did it the opposite way or at the same time. I must have got in in the narrow window between the two.

I have the original print out of my confirmation page from the website and a confirmation email to prove that I got it at $1329 so I am gonna make sure they stick to it.

Chris
Canon 5D MkII, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200m f/2.8L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, 580EX, LP160, a couple of home made macro & pinhole lenses.

tami1215

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2011, 06:35:31 PM »
I have also been following this thread for weeks, hoping that the so-called $200 rebate would show up in Canada as well.  Unfortunately not, HOWEVER the regular price for the 7D body is $1599cdn at Henry's.  Henry's is having a Family Day weekend sale of 7% off.  So, the 7D is currently on sale until tomorrow for $1487.99cdn.  Henry's will ship to the USA.

Link: http://www.henrys.ca/53874-CANON-EOS-7D-D-SLR-BODY.aspx
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:47:09 PM by tami1215 »

cmelbye

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »
New to the forum, so I'll add my opinion FWIW.  This so-called "rebate" stinks.

I post on Twitter this morning ... "Extremely disappointed with @bhphotovideo - Waited for $200 rebate on Canon 7D to begin today & overnight they raised price by $400"

Three hours later, @BHphotovideo posts ... "We had an error which was corrected, sorry about that ..."

Then get a reply from Henry Posner @bandhphoto ... "@Bill, your disappointment is unfortunately misplaced as our price changes were dictated by price hikes from Canon USA to retailers"

Whether my disappointment is misplaced is moot.  A "rebate" suggests a reduction in price. This is not a way to treat customers.

Ummm NO B&H.. the disappointment is NOT misplaced.  You as a company are selling Canon equipment. If YOUR customers are PO'ed.... YOU are the one that will lose them.

Boy the bad press B&H, Canon and all the others are gettting is going to be certainly not "misplaced"

Can you say by ebye customers?

Hello NIKON!!!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »

tami1215

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »
FWIW:

My tweet:  @Canon_Camera Advertising a rebate on a camera and then subsequently raising the price by the same amount is insulting.

tombo

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2011, 08:04:23 PM »
Lets face it,  we all want a 7d or we wouldn't even be posting here. Admittedly $1-200 is still a lot of money, but is taht gonna keep you from getting the camera you want?  Did Canon ever say the rebate was on top of sale prices?  Doubth it.  We all want a really great camera for cheap, we don't always get that batgain.  Hell, I kept looking at an ad from 42 street photo for two weeks advertising a 7d for $1359 w/ free shipping.  Did I buy?  Nope.  Instead I ponied up a $100 bucks more to amazon when 42 S. P. ran out. Bottom line, its a great camera,  whatever kind of marketing is being done.  Are we so jaded, that we believe we can get something for nothing?  30 years ago a Nikon F2 went for much more then the cost of entry today. 

No I am not rich, far from it.  but I have been shooting for over 40 years and am now enjoying one of the best cameras developed my man. 

leosfo

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »
I don't want to be smug, but thanks to the information on retailers raising the prices to cover the rebate, I bought my 7D on 2-19, thanks!

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2011, 08:22:23 PM »
Lets face it,  we all want a 7d or we wouldn't even be posting here. Admittedly $1-200 is still a lot of money, but is taht gonna keep you from getting the camera you want?  Did Canon ever say the rebate was on top of sale prices?  Doubth it.  We all want a really great camera for cheap, we don't always get that batgain.  Hell, I kept looking at an ad from 42 street photo for two weeks advertising a 7d for $1359 w/ free shipping.  Did I buy?  Nope.  Instead I ponied up a $100 bucks more to amazon when 42 S. P. ran out. Bottom line, its a great camera,  whatever kind of marketing is being done.  Are we so jaded, that we believe we can get something for nothing?  30 years ago a Nikon F2 went for much more then the cost of entry today. 

No I am not rich, far from it.  but I have been shooting for over 40 years and am now enjoying one of the best cameras developed my man.

I don't think that anyone believes we get something for nothing.  But, I expect to save some money with a rebate than pay more than regular (pre-rebate) price.  You have to admit, this is shady, whether it's the vendors doing this themselves or if Canon forcing their hands.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:29:59 PM by Chewy734 »

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »
I'm not buying BH's crap.  I also called them as soon as they opened this morning to have a "word of prayer" with them and just received the runaround.  The simple fact is, if they wanted to discount their cameras AND offer the rebate, they can.  Proof:  I just bought a 60D for $829.99 which is less than the advertised rebate price of $899 and I bought it from Calumet.  The site says $899, but when you add it to your cart, it draws your attention to the "new price" of $829.99.  No tax and free shipping makes this a great deal :)  But, BH doesn't want to do this.

Additionally, BH surely has the option NOT to offer the rebate and simply offer their every day price (of $888 for the 60D - I didn't price watch the 7D because my needs were met with the 60D) if they wanted to.  But, they'd rather have the word "rebate" attached to their item because that kind of thing will make people buy.

jb

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »
Looks like Canon is communicating poorly.

They have raised their prices, as expected. What they are calling "rebates" are really a grace period of a month or so on these price hikes.

I think it could have been communicated better, but fact is, prices are definitely NOT going down! If you're in the market now, best suck it up and take the best deal you can get.

Me, I'm biding my time for a 5DIII. I've already talked with my banker, and he's warned the Federal Reserve, so the financial world will not be overly shocked when so much of my money moves to Canon at that time.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »

digitizedchaos

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2011, 11:46:51 PM »
My twitter feed...

http://twitter.com/andrewkow

I'm getting on everyone... I'm pissed off.

yeah, i retweeted you..

FML, i should've seen this thread before and bought the 7d while it was a li'l bit cheaper.. now i'm on the hunt for a better deal..

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2011, 12:01:30 AM »
This scam is getting deeper, and more confusing.  Amazon is now advertising the 7D (body only) with a list of $1599, a strikethrough the price, and $1499 as the "sale" price with $100 savings!  So it appears they are just ignoring the $200 instant rebate if they are using $1599 as a list price...

Price:   $1,599.00
Sale:   $1,499.00
You Save:   $100.00 (6%)

original here > http://amzn.to/fXiIQb

Or does this just demonstrate that the $200 "instant rebate" has nothing to do with anything, and is just a bullshit marketing ploy by Canon?

WTF?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

(original screen cap here.... note it also says shipped and sold by PC Nation in item description, yet lists Adorama as shipper in top right at cart.  whaaa??)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:07:43 AM by justsomedude »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2011, 12:01:30 AM »