September 23, 2014, 10:46:15 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III vs. 1D Mark IV  (Read 18354 times)

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
5D Mark III vs. 1D Mark IV
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »
I currently own a 5D Mark II. Great camera and I don't want to part it.

I'd like to add one more camera, but not sure if I should get the 5D Mark III or the 1D Mark IV. Main use for sport photography, but would also use for portrait and video.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III vs. 1D Mark IV
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »

Pixel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III vs. 1D Mark IV
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:46:28 PM »
I'm using both currently (5DM3 and 1DM4) the biggest complaint I have with the 5DM3 is the buffer as compared to the 1DM4 when I have to bury the shutter to cover a long play. You better be pretty selective on the 5DM3 instead of just burying it with the 1DM4.
Both focusing systems are impressive but the nod has to go to the 5DM3.
I do a lot performance photography where a silent shutter is preferred. 5DM3 is the landslide winner. You can barely hear the thing! The 1DM4 silent mode is practically as loud as the regular mode. Ugh.
If you need high ISO and performance the 5DM3 is the hands down winner.
If you need speed, power, and overall beefiness than the 1DM4 is your choice.
Luckily having both of them gives me tons of versatility.

UY66

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »
I have & use the 5DMK2, 1DMK4 & now the 5DMK3, in General terms the 5DMK3 is the clear winner, Picture quality no better than the MK2 (but marginally better than the 1DMK4), but everything else, in particular the Auto Focus system on the newer 5DMK3 is wonderful. The areas that the 1DMK4 outdo the 5D's is in the APSH sensor, for those shots on a Telephoto where i don't quite have the Legs, the 1.3 Crop often gives me the edge i need, also in all round weather/dust proofing the 1 Series walk all over the 5D's although i understand the MK3 is improved, time will tell. But if your looking for a great semi pro camera, the 5DMK3 is it, off course it would have been nicer if it could have been delivered without the issues, light leaking top LCD, my 200 f/2 Lens locks up on the IS when attached to the MK3, Software doesn't allow RAW processing on the MK3, Once Canon wake up & solve these issues, which they will, this will be a great addition to anyones Photographic endevours.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »
I think the 5DIII's buffer might be too limiting for serious sports shooting. It's fine when shooting jpegs, but fills up rather quickly in raw.

sushyam

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »
This link has a review with an observation with comments on the buffer filling up.
http://www.drkrishi.com/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-review

smirkypants

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:58:52 PM »
This was NOT my experience. I had NO problems with the buffer filling and I was shooting long bursts shooting polo. I was using Lexar 600x cards and cannot stress enough that the buffer was not a problem. There were other problems, but the buffer wasn't oen of them.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:15:50 AM »
I suppose it depends what you consider a long burst. With a 90 mb/s CF card, my 5DIII will fire off 13-15 frames before the buffer fills up and the burst rate slows down. This is shooting raw. That said, you can practically hold the shutter down as long as you want in jpeg.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:20:56 AM by V8Beast »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:15:50 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 03:31:45 AM »
Software doesn't allow RAW processing on the MK3

Not sure what you mean by this - DPP has just been updated

Also I think you will find it difficult to notice any difference between the AF and high ISO IQ in real life. What you will notice though is the lack of AF point metering on the 5DIII, particularly in low light

smirkypants

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »
I suppose it depends what you consider a long burst. With a 90 mb/s CF card, my 5DIII will fire off 13-15 frames before the buffer fills up and the burst rate slows down. This is shooting raw. That said, you can practically hold the shutter down as long as you want in jpeg.
I shoot nothing but RAW. If I could remove the JPG ability from the camera so I don't accidentally set it there, I would. I was shooting bursts of about 10-15 max and I shot all day for two days; maybe 5000 shots altogether. I never noticed any buffer clog. Like I said, this isn't an ideal sports camera for a lot of different reasons but I would consider the buffer issue to take a back seat to the relatively slow burst rate and the lack of a 1.3 crop factor.

Alker

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »
I shoot nothing but RAW. If I could remove the JPG ability from the camera so I don't accidentally set it there, I would. I was shooting bursts of about 10-15 max and I shot all day for two days; maybe 5000 shots altogether. I never noticed any buffer clog. Like I said, this isn't an ideal sports camera for a lot of different reasons but I would consider the buffer issue to take a back seat to the relatively slow burst rate and the lack of a 1.3 crop factor.

This lack of the 1.3 crop factor is not so big as we all think.

It's 22 mp vs 16 mp.

After the 1.3 crop on the 5D mark III it will be 13 mp vs 16mp.

There may be other reasons for the mark IV , but the crop is not among them.
And remember when you are able to take a photo where focallength is no issue the IQ of the 5D will be better.
And last but not least the AF of the 5D Mark III seems better in low light.

These are my opinions, so don't shoot me over my own opinions.

briansquibb

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »

This lack of the 1.3 crop factor is not so big as we all think.

It's 22 mp vs 16 mp.

After the 1.3 crop on the 5D mark III it will be 13 mp vs 16mp.

There may be other reasons for the mark IV , but the crop is not among them.
And remember when you are able to take a photo where focallength is no issue the IQ of the 5D will be better.
And last but not least the AF of the 5D Mark III seems better in low light.

These are my opinions, so don't shoot me over my own opinions.

That is a valid point but there is more to the 1D4 than the crop for example when you hit the long end barrier of the 5DIIi. The longest a 5DIII can AF is the 600 + 1.4x = 840mm. The 1D4 does AF on the 600 + 2x + 1.3 (crop)=1560mm.

I would think there is little in the IQ between them at iso up to 12800

The other consideration might be the 1DS3 which also has f/8 AF so can manage 1200mm instead of the 840mm - and still have about the same number of pixels over the subject.

smirkypants

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
Honestly, I chose "none of the above" and couldn't be happier.

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:54 PM »
Took a leap of faith and chose 1d mk iv over 5d mk iii. I am so very glad I did. With my 5d mk ii as my back up, it's best of both world.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:54 PM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 05:55:17 AM »
I'm building a pros comparison list of 5d III vs 1D IV, since I'm considering which to purchase...

5D Mark III:

- latest autofocus system
- smaller body size, lighter
- better high ISO performance
- better image quality
- 22 megapixels
- full frame
- better video features
- silent shutter

1D Mark IV:

- built-in battery grip
- weather proofing, build quality
- faster lens drive
- 10 fps, better buffering
- 1.3x crop gets sweet-spot for lenses and extra focal length
- f/8 autofocussing
- AF point linked metering
- cheaper (for a used copy)
- shutter good for 300,000 shots

Can anyone think of anything I've missed?
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
Just a comment. The 5d3 can keep it's max framerate for 2 seconds, the 1d4 for 3.2 seconds. Not that big of a difference really.

The 5d3 has way slower burst rate, but if you're shooting a sequence that lasts for 2,5 seconds, you have more shots with the 1d4, but the buffer doesn't fill up on either camera.

On a sidenote, that's going to be thrashed by briansquibb  ::) :P ;Dand possibly others. I have more sharp images from a 13 images burst with the 5d than I had ever with the 1d4. So the keeperrate is higher, and buffer smaller, same difference.

The 1d X will annihilate both of the above.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »