May 30, 2017, 03:35:16 AM

Author Topic: The forum has to be redone, What needs to stay?  (Read 5673 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
Re: The forum has to be redone, What needs to stay?
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2017, 06:04:29 AM »
A theme switcher would be nice to switch between a  light and dark layout, mostly due to power saving on mobile/tablet devices (lighter colours use more power).  A great example of this would be over at the main site of ArsTechnica.

for OLEDs Black costs no power.  For backlit screens (all other types I believe) it makes no difference.

I would also prefer a dark mode. Sometimes I feel like my iPad has been turned into a giant flashlight.... the bright display, even when dimmed, ruins your night vision....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2017, 06:04:29 AM »

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2017, 06:05:29 AM »
Also, could you prohibit post stacking?  That is, consecutive posts in a thread by the same person?

I don't know what the technical term for this is, but I do know what you mean. I'll research and see if there is an addon that prevents this

I don't think this is a good idea, some threads have very few posters who frequently post images, like birds, flowers, some lenses,,, etc
Agreed!

Dustin reviews a lens and posts his review.......
Lots of people ask questions.......
Dustin wakes up the next day, and starts answering the questions, and we have a long string of sequential posts.....

Plus, this post itself is a sequential post.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

rfdesigner

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2017, 06:15:32 AM »
A theme switcher would be nice to switch between a  light and dark layout, mostly due to power saving on mobile/tablet devices (lighter colours use more power).  A great example of this would be over at the main site of ArsTechnica.

for OLEDs Black costs no power.  For backlit screens (all other types I believe) it makes no difference.

I would also prefer a dark mode. Sometimes I feel like my iPad has been turned into a giant flashlight.... the bright display, even when dimmed, ruins your night vision....

On that point I will concurr..

I'd really like the display industry to establish a minimum intensity specification.  We don't all use displays in over-lit offices or full sun.  The reason they don't is not technical, it's simply lazyness of thinking on the part of manufacturers.

On the whole displays need to be able to dim around a further 90~99% percent compared to what we have today so as to be used in all environments.

anyway back to topic..  a "dark mode" can be a good thing.
6D, 30D, 383L+, 28f1.8, 50STM, 100f2.0, 5.5"f8 scope, 12"f5 scope.

meywd

• 1D Mark IV
    • About Me
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »
Features I like to stay:
  • Unread/Updated posts list
  • Gallery: maybe combine attachments with gallery in one feature

On Additions
  • A Dark theme would be nice
  • Search result redesign to make it clearer
  • Some mentioned comments on posts, which would be nice, but maybe reply without quotes could help?
Current Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 135mm f/2.0 | EF 24-105 F/4.0 | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | 430EX II | Canon EF 2x II

bainsybike

• EOS M3
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2017, 06:35:18 AM »
I don't know about what needs to stay, but what needs to go, URGENTLY, is the advertising that's slowing this site down.  It's been happening for about a week now, and I know others have complained about it on other threads. If it goes on much longer, I won't be coming back..

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2017, 07:45:26 AM »
I don't know about what needs to stay, but what needs to go, URGENTLY, is the advertising that's slowing this site down.  It's been happening for about a week now, and I know others have complained about it on other threads. If it goes on much longer, I won't be coming back..

Nothing is free, especially when it comes to running/hosting a website.

Either we, as users, have to pay or the owners of the site can convince advertisers to pay.  But in any case, someone has to pay.

Personally, I always prefer if other people pay as it is easier to ignore an ad than it is to stick a crow-bar in my wallet.   ;)

As a free (aka paid by someone else) website, the ROI for me is almost infinite.  A pretty good deal from my perspective.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

bainsybike

• EOS M3
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
Nothing is free, especially when it comes to running/hosting a website.

Either we, as users, have to pay or the owners of the site can convince advertisers to pay.  But in any case, someone has to pay.

Personally, I always prefer if other people pay as it is easier to ignore an ad than it is to stick a crow-bar in my wallet.   ;)

As a free (aka paid by someone else) website, the ROI for me is almost infinite.  A pretty good deal from my perspective.

I agree with all of that.  What I'm talking about is something that's changed in the last week or so (for me at least) which makes the site very tedious to navigate - maybe not everyone's affected by it.   But I hope that whatever it is gets sorted out soon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »

AlanF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »
I am finding it a pain using CR on an iPad or iPhone as it now opens a mobile device mode, which, unless I have missed it, doesn't display recent forum posts.  So, you have to click to switch to desktop mode and it doesn't store my login details.

On the mobile theme, just click the menu icon at the top right and select forum. Login and press "show unread posts since last visit".

There will be a better solution once the new forum is online.

I hope so, as having to log in to see what is new is another barrier for casual checking.
5D IV, 5DS R, 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X, 400mm DO II, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM, EF 70-200/4 IS, EF 24-105, 15-85, 100-400 II, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »
I am finding it a pain using CR on an iPad or iPhone as it now opens a mobile device mode, which, unless I have missed it, doesn't display recent forum posts.  So, you have to click to switch to desktop mode and it doesn't store my login details.

On the mobile theme, just click the menu icon at the top right and select forum. Login and press "show unread posts since last visit".

I hope so, as having to log in to see what is new is another barrier for casual checking.

I use desktop mode and my login details are saved on all my devices – Mac, iPad and iPhone.  The only time I need to log in is if I inadvertently log out on any of the devices (which logs me out of all of them).  The key is to tick the box on the login page to remain logged in, and to do so on all the devices.  If you don't check the box on one of them, that one will time out (after the default 3 hrs), and log you out on all devices. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2017, 02:55:04 PM »
For me to stay (if you want me) you must keep the thread layout such that you can read multiple posts on a single page, I won't use forums where you have to click for each post.

Same here!

And I also don't like the sliders on expanding a photo - lots of fiddling around especially when there are multiple photos.

I back Ryananthony. :)
6D   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II  1DX II

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

AlanF

« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »

I use desktop mode and my login details are saved on all my devices – Mac, iPad and iPhone.  The only time I need to log in is if I inadvertently log out on any of the devices (which logs me out of all of them).  The key is to tick the box on the login page to remain logged in, and to do so on all the devices.  If you don't check the box on one of them, that one will time out (after the default 3 hrs), and log you out on all devices.

I check it every time on my iPhone and iPad, and it logs me out every time from those but not my desk/laptops. There must be another panel somewhere you might have checked.
5D IV, 5DS R, 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X, 400mm DO II, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM, EF 70-200/4 IS, EF 24-105, 15-85, 100-400 II, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye

pwp

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2017, 07:55:26 PM »
Personally I don't find too much to argue about with the current design and functionality. Except for Search. Search is so primitive to the point of being useless.

You get better, more relevant hits going back into Google and searching inside of CR from there.  So a much more powerful search function would be brilliant.

As time goes by, CR is an increasingly useful resource and well of knowledge. Keep this gold accessible.  :)

-pw

slclick

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2017, 09:02:11 PM »
Personally I don't find too much to argue about with the current design and functionality. Except for Search. Search is so primitive to the point of being useless.

You get better, more relevant hits going back into Google and searching inside of CR from there.  So a much more powerful search function would be brilliant.

As time goes by, CR is an increasingly useful resource and well of knowledge. Keep this gold accessible.  :)

-pw

I'd give this a thumbs up but......
5D3, Pen F, EOS 3, Holga 120 Glo

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2017, 09:02:11 PM »

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2017, 01:40:46 AM »

-pw

I'd give this a thumbs up but......

I second this - a great resource if an item can be found.  Often it's other folks who recall a post that will post the link otherwise we are often reinventing the wheel with newcomers inquiring about previously dealt with subjects.

I don't understand people's complaints about not being able to disconnect from the Bird thread, for example.  When I check unnotify in any thread it works for me.  Seems I'm missing something here??

Overall, I think CR is just fine as is, so no major changes for me.

Jack
6D   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II  1DX II

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2017, 05:04:20 AM »

-pw

It looks like we're going to be switching board software and one of the big improvements will be the search functionality.
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2017, 05:04:20 AM »