July 25, 2016, 02:15:08 AM

Author Topic: Less ads and less fonts to make website faster to load  (Read 288 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
Less ads and less fonts to make website faster to load
« on: July 20, 2016, 07:02:55 AM »
Browsing this website whilst traveling on 3G/4G has been a painful experience today and painful in a way that I've not experienced with other websites.

Problems seem to be fonts.google.com (why?) and various ads. For example, at the start of the day I could not even open the first page in "New feature in Canon 5DIV" thread at all. I could get to the 2nd, 3rd or 4th page, but not the start. Even the main page is slow at the moment.

I don't know if it is Chrome or Chrome on MacOS or the combination of these and 3G/4G but whatever it is, maybe someone should look at fixing it and optimizing the website.

Meanwhile I'll look at what sort of ad blockers I can get for Chrome so that it doesn't reach out and get hung up loading so many other silly websites.

Update: installing adblock on Chrome fixed the problems.
Let me introduce you to your new PHB - Canon

canon rumors FORUM

Less ads and less fonts to make website faster to load
« on: July 20, 2016, 07:02:55 AM »

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X Mark II
Re: Less ads and less fonts to make website faster to load
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 09:18:10 AM »
Nothing is free on the Internets Tubes.

Either the web owners charge me to access their pages or the web owners charge some ad agency/service.

Personally, I prefer ad agencies wasting their money on ads that I can easily ignore/block.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

monkey44

• Canon 70D
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »
We travel a lot with Verizon hotspot ...

Two things to check (in addition to adblock) ... 

Hit the reset button if the pages are loading slow - it requires a reboot.

Make sure you have 'connection' set to automatic - it will then pick up the highest level signals.  Sometimes it defaults to 1x or 3G and stays there, even when higher level is available.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »