July 22, 2014, 10:20:15 AM

Author Topic: DxOMark scores for 5DMkIII out - total score 81, 5DMkII had 79  (Read 56463 times)

SomeGuyInNewJersey

Re: DX0 Mark Canon 5D MkIII Review
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »
I cant seem to access DXO to get text for what I mean but I remember something about DXO's low light score being highest ISO that certain levels are still maintained at and one of those is I believe DR>9ev, so perhaps with the 5d3 sensor having lower dr it drops below their threshold figure at a lower iso than the d800 thus making the d800 appear to be better in low light by their measurement?

As I say I cant seem to access dxo to verify this... fanboys of both kinds will be hammering the site right now I should imagine...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »

jimmylazers

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »
Someone on here said it best, "When all this hype has died down in two years 90% of pros will be shooting with the 5D3 over the D800, just like the 5D2 over and D700 and all Canon over Nikons"

8) Enough Said.

Who wrote that? Nostradamus?

Guys, if you put the ISO argument to one side you've still been annihilated on dynamic range, colour depth etc. Oh, and let's not forget price.

And your arguments regarding the DX0 Mark tests, bias etc. If the shoe was on the other foot, you lot would be putting the boot into Nikon and praising DX0 Mark for their testing techniques.

rocketdesigner

Re: DxOMark scores for 5DMkIII out - total score 81, 5DMkII had 79
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »
There are two sites I will never link again, and one of them is DXO.

.... the other site KR? I thought it was engadget...

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »

haha, no you can still talk about them. I just want people to know I don't support this type of marketing by DXO.

I realize some may disagree with me on this topic, just trying to "keep it real". :)

Indeed, it is marketing. Though frankly, I think the infamous KR does marketing better.

I assume that's the other site you won't link to. ;)

bernardovaghi

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »
I really like Canon stuff. I´m a Nikon, Canon user. The two brands have their advantages. But here in this topic, what i´m seeing is an attempt to "fire down" the DXO Lab. So i brought a link for you to know how scientific the tests are done there.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57415777-76/how-dxo-labs-tests-hot-cameras-like-canons-latest-slr/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

Dude, for studio photos, landscape, advertising, portraits, food, the D800 blows the MK III out of the waterm it´s a matter o fact. For weddings, video, sports, journalism, wildlife the 5D MK III blows the D800. Like the D700 and the MK II , but this time switching "sides".

Cheers!

TAR

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »
anyone has a link to download high iso RAW files from both cameras to compare same images shot outdoors ? . 5D3 jpeg might be better because of in camera post processing. Why don't you people accept the truth? canon failed .

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »
Someone on here said it best, "When all this hype has died down in two years 90% of pros will be shooting with the 5D3 over the D800, just like the 5D2 over and D700 and all Canon over Nikons"

8) Enough Said.

Guys, if you put the ISO argument to one side you've still been annihilated on dynamic range, colour depth etc. Oh, and let's not forget price.

And your arguments regarding the DX0 Mark tests, bias etc. If the shoe was on the other foot, you lot would be putting the boot into Nikon and praising DX0 Mark for their testing techniques.

That's easy to say but you have no way of knowing what we'd do if the shoe was on the other foot anymore than we do, so that's a useless statement.

Even in the area of DN I've known Nikon was usually better on paper. But even as I've said before, I don't think anyone could honestly tell a difference between the majority of real world photographs.

I don't think DxO is purposefully bias, but I also don't think Canon sensors are that bad.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »

MattBicePhotography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »

8) Enough Said.

Someone on the forum wrote that, and I couldn't tell you who. If you read my first post in the thread you will see my other argument....DR,MP,Sharpness, Low light etc, etc aside, the images that come from Canon cameras have always captured me more than the stuff coming off Nikons.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2012, 10:36:01 AM »
anyone has a link to download high iso RAW files from both cameras to compare same images shot outdoors ? . 5D3 jpeg might be better because of in camera post processing. Why don't you people accept the truth? canon failed .

I have actually. RAW files. And that is actually why I question the high ISO results.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Fab_Angilletta

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »
Wow I was expecting a close result but the 5D3 gets DESTROYED by the D800. Canon needs a LOT of work in the low ISO/high DR department. In particular the low ISO banding issues.

Dude, for studio photos, landscape, advertising, portraits, food, the D800 blows the MK III out of the waterm it´s a matter o fact.

Why don't you people accept the truth? canon failed .

As a frustrated Canon user myself, when I express myself and point out the facts, they call you a troll... so you better watch what you say cause they are looking for someone to blame Canon's failure.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:38:41 AM by Fab_Angilletta »

rocketdesigner

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2012, 10:41:58 AM »
And what is sad is other "outlets" pick up the lame story:

http://cnet.co/IQYBiQ

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »
I really like Canon stuff. I´m a Nikon, Canon user. The two brands have their advantages. But here in this topic, what i´m seeing is an attempt to "fire down" the DXO Lab. So i brought a link for you to know how scientific the tests are done there.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57415777-76/how-dxo-labs-tests-hot-cameras-like-canons-latest-slr/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

Dude, for studio photos, landscape, advertising, portraits, food, the D800 blows the MK III out of the waterm it´s a matter o fact. For weddings, video, sports, journalism, wildlife the 5D MK III blows the D800. Like the D700 and the MK II , but this time switching "sides".

Cheers!

Lots of people test the way DXO does, I know a few guys that have remarkable testing facilities in their basements.

Your second paragraph is the issue, the D800 and 5D3 have completely different strengths and weaknesses as far as IQ goes, so how is their such a big gap in the "total score"?

My issue is not the results, my issue is how they weight results to get their magical number.

canonrumors.com

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
There are two sites I will never link again, and one of them is DXO.

Numbers tests really bother me, because other people will use the DXO software and get completely different results. There will also be a range of results if someone is using Imatest. I've also seen the same person run DXO and Imatest and get different results.

The other issue is how they weight their score. By the looks of things, during the D3/D700 days, ISO performance was the major stat that that weighted the "total score", now it appears they weight it to dynamic range.

I've honestly wondered at times if anyone that does numbers testing like this has actually taken a photograph and looked at it with their eyes. The D800 is NOT a better high ISO performer, even if you down rez the D800 files, the 5D3 trumps it.

I've talked to 3 folks that do this type of testing independently, and all 3 agreed above ISO 800, the 5D3 is the clear winner in dynamic range, but the D800 beats the 5D3 at lower ISO.

These tests serve nothing positive to the community. If the 5D3 had a score of 291, I still wouldn't post it on the site.
+1 couldn't have put it any better myself

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »

bernardovaghi

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2012, 10:44:07 AM »
Don´t think Canon "failed". It´s not so hard. Canon may have made a bad move, but the camera is great, and it is in stock! Nikon made a bad move, with the D700 without video, Nikon loses the battle for many years in the fullframe market. Now the D800 have the advantage, and this is good for the new stuff and for Canon do even better cameras. I love Canon sensors, the 5D MK II even with more noise in shadows than the D700, have a very nice "buttered" skin texture, and the colors are warmer too. I have both, 5D studio/landscape, D700 action/social/street. The upgrade is just needed for comercial purposes, to surprise the client with the "most modern" equipment.

Take it easy boys, sometimes we are better, sometimes worse. Let´s drink some beer tonight! Cheers.

Cheers!

As a frustrated Canon user myself, when I express myself and point out the facts, they call you a troll... so you better watch what you say cause they are looking for someone to blame Canon's failure.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:52:32 AM by bernardovaghi »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
listen for a start real world tests not stupid lab results prove that the 5dmk3 blows the d800 out the water in terms of higher iso capabilities,so go and keep shooting your charts and testing whatever you like instead of getting out there and doing real shooting!
i bet half the people on here buy there dslr's and shoot test charts theres a certain popular member who i could instantly name i think we all know who im talking about!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »