October 01, 2014, 08:48:28 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III NOT Getting Recalled?  (Read 18344 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
5D Mark III NOT Getting Recalled?
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
From Canon Singapore
Perhaps some good news, though I would still not treat this as 100% until we see the official response to the “light leak issue”.

From Ong Khiaw Seng from Canon Singapore

With reference to your question on whether Canon Singapore will recall the EOS 5D MK III due to the light leak issue, we wish to inform you that we will not. However we will contact you later this month to rectify this issue. Please leave us your contact number for our Service team to contact you.

Here’s hoping the above remains true.

Source: [CS]

c

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III NOT Getting Recalled?
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »

SteveStaffan

Re: 5D Mark III NOT Getting Recalled?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »
I just received my 5DMKIII body yesterday from Adorama, so I'm not sure why other retailers would have pulled them. I ordered it before Adorama closed for the Passover.

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »
Excellent. I'll ring Canon Australia tomorrow and probe; see if I can get any comment.

tasteofjace

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:51:58 AM »
While at NAB, I asked one of the Canon representatives at their booth about the issue. The response was that Canon would not be recalling the MKIII because they don't see it as an issue at all, especially because in order to see the problem you need to have the lens cap on.

So, that was her response. Not exactly an authority on the subject by any means, but it seems to be how Canon is approaching the situation.

For the record, I have been loving my MKIII since I got it last month, and have had zero problem with light leakage up to this point.

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:33:55 PM »
it's hard to say now whether they'll get recalled as the question is how can Canon not recall the first batch but fix it on the new one's coming out of the factories, then the people who bought first will be highly dissatisfied.

it's a tough one, keeping in mind that the camera still has a 3 - 3.5 year life span left so it would be advisable to fix this issue as opposed to leaving it hanging.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:15:36 PM »
I knew there would be no recall... Maybe the solution is to take photos with the lens cap off?

gravy

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »
I will be very disappointed if there is nothing done for us early adopters of the 5D markIII, especially after the advisory and the apparent [if true] change to the camera design/manufacture that is currently holding up stock. if the cameras that are sold hereafter are different, and presumably improved, then I'll end up having paid the premium price for a camera that is not up to the level of quality of the final units. that does not seem right. My camera exhibits the behavior described and that does not worry me so much but I still don't know exactly how much effect will be seen when shooting with direct sunlight on the top LCD. I will appreciate it if canon address this in a logical way and does not say to early (and loyal) users "too bad for you". what the proper action is I don't know. I just know that the proper action is NOT "do nothing"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
To recall a product is to request the customer to return it. Just because they aren't recalling, doesn't mean they won't alter early batch cameras free of charge. Just a thought.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 05:56:22 PM »
Once more for all the worry-warts: this is most emphatically the correct response from Canon, because the "problem" isn't.

To confirm for yourself, find a 5DIII and a dark room and perform this simple experiment for yourself: Put the camera in manual mode at EV 1, the specified minimum light level at which the meter is effective. That would be one second at f/1.4 at ISO 100. Find some place to aim the camera that the meter bug is centered. Turn the top LCD backlight on and off, and the meter won't budge.

You can try it at EV 0, too, and it still won't move -- but keep in mind that you're now operating the meter outside of its specification, so you don't really know if the reading is right in the first place.

At EV -1, it might move a third of a stop, and it probably will at EV -2. At EV -4, it'll probably move 2/3 stop, but, again, at all these settings below EV 1, you don't know for sure what the proper reading really is. Indeed, it could well be that the reading with the light on is the correct one, or neither. That's what it means to be using the meter outside of its specified parameters.

Oh -- and even EV 1 is dark enough that either you're doing slow-shutter tripod (distant skyline at night) and you're not relying on the meter anyway, or you're shooting at insane ISOs and you're not expecting top-quality results anyway.

Cheers,

b&

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »
So does that mean they are releasing the shipments again? Because in the US all the supply seemed to stop a few days ago.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 06:13:07 PM »
To tell you the truth, my images have never looked better with the cap on, so no complaints here!
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
Guess I will keep shooting with my excellent 5DmarkII..and wait until the fix is in....as Canon will not be sending out any more bodies with that light-leak issue...no doubt.
Actually I am really way more antzie to get the new 24-70mm as I sold my 24-105mm anticipating the new II lens in April..so here I wait with my pantz down....  :-)
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

gravy

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 06:32:58 PM »
I tried your experiment but I have the kit so I adjusted the shutter speed to 3.2 seconds [correct me if I am wrong on shutter speed] the meter was centered. turned on the backlight, meter was still centered. got my meter out and took an EV reading, it read 1.4-1.6. so I guess you are correct. shined a small LED flashlight on the LCD [in fact with backlight on] meter was still centered. am I feeling better now? a little bit. I just want to know what sunlight on top LCD does. that test will be a little more complicated as it is hard to find 1 EV in direct sunlight [on LCD]. if you can tell me that situation has no effect then fine, I'm OK.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 06:32:58 PM »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »
To tell you the truth, my images have never looked better with the cap on, so no complaints here!

My "Lens-Cap-On" photos looks fantastic as well.  Dunno what all the fuss is about...

Wideopen

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »

My "Lens-Cap-On" photos looks fantastic as well.  Dunno what all the fuss is about...

+1 i hope the possible recall isnt slowing down my 2nd order for 5d mark iii.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »