November 27, 2014, 09:01:18 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III NOT Getting Recalled?  (Read 18941 times)

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III NOT Getting Recalled?
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 11:07:48 AM »
a recall would be disasterous to Canon!

a recall would mean:

a) Canon would spend money on replacing and fixing the bodies
b) potential customers would think three times about purchasing it
c) admitting there is an issue, weakening their stance once lawsuits start being thrown around

the current issue with the bodies will be taken to court and there WILL be a lawsuit - but at this time, the collection of data is what is happening... a lawsuit is in the works, and Canon is now walking on eggs...

a recall would be suicide for Canon (but again, remember, you the customer are not that too important) - you should be ok in using the camera as it is! :)

What? No body will sue Canon. As I read from other posters (and 5DM3 owners I presume) that this is not an issue at all. What if little light leaked into a 'camera'? I bet early pinhole box cameras had some light leaks also ;D. You guys just want everything 100% perfect? Just go out and shoot and don't forget not to turn on the LCD at night and you might also need to be carefull when direct sunlight hits the LCD while photographing subjects in the shadow.

Why don't we just put a black tape on the LCD and button, just to be in the safe side. CANON, don't bother with fixing this, you've got the nicest customer base ever. (sorry for the sarcastic post)

If it is not an issue at all, fine for Canon, but I am sure they have to fix it. To much is public now and in the most europeen countrys we have this customer protection, 2 years warranty and refund by dealer and company.
I think Canon will do a recall or a fix by firmware. That‘s normally not a to big deal for them. Better to fix it,
better reputation. S___ happens ;-).

But most buyers and owners are so angry and looking for a faulty camera, is the price they paid for. 3299,00€ for an update is something. No question the EOS 5D Mark III is a great camera, with an superherb AF- System, but for so much money they expected a flawlessly camera.

I am sure Canon didn‘t expect that Nikon come up with 36MP in an D800 :-)fo 2899,00€, but that's good for us Canon 5D MarkIII Buyers. That's put a bit more pressure to Canon to fix the Camera.

Have a nice Weekend
Warranty will cover faults only within the bounds of the design specifications. In this case, the camera operates as intended.

This light leak should not be considered a fault.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 11:07:48 AM »

alberto

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
"Warranty will cover faults only within the bounds of the design specifications. In this case, the camera operates as intended.

This light leak should not be considered a fault."

your'e right but...
then it is the best for Canon to lie back. :-)) and fix nothing even the other flaws; glitches...
Don‘t hope so ;-))

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »
can we get any "inside" information over here about what actually is going on inside Canon now? On the forum, we've seen people say Canon don't really care, we've seen people say that Canon are freaking out - does anyone have any credible information?

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
your'e right but...
then it is the best for Canon to lie back. :-)) and fix nothing even the other flaws; glitches...
Don‘t hope so ;-))

Sort of like Nikon with the green tint on their latest LCDs. "It's not a fault, it's a feature" :)

MrSandman

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »

a recall would mean:

c) admitting there is an issue, weakening their stance once lawsuits start being thrown around

the current issue with the bodies will be taken to court and there WILL be a lawsuit - but at this time, the collection of data is what is happening... a lawsuit is in the works, and Canon is now walking on eggs...

a recall would be suicide for Canon (but again, remember, you the customer are not that too important) - you should be ok in using the camera as it is! :)

What? No body will sue Canon. As I read from other posters (and 5DM3 owners I presume) that this is not an issue at all. What if little light leaked into a 'camera'? I bet early pinhole box cameras had some light leaks also ;D. You guys just want everything 100% perfect? Just go out and shoot and don't forget not to turn on the LCD at night and you might also need to be carefull when direct sunlight hits the LCD while photographing subjects in the shadow.

Why don't we just put a black tape on the LCD and button, just to be in the safe side. CANON, don't bother with fixing this, you've got the nicest customer base ever. (sorry for the sarcastic post)

If it is not an issue at all, fine for Canon, but I am sure they have to fix it. To much is public now and in the most europeen countrys we have this customer protection, 2 years warranty and refund by dealer and company.
I think Canon will do a recall or a fix by firmware. That‘s normally not a to big deal for them. Better to fix it,

But most buyers and owners are so angry and looking for a faulty camera, is the price they paid for. 3299,00€ for an update is something. No question the EOS 5D Mark III is a great camera, with an superherb AF- System, but for so much money they expected a flawlessly camera.

I am sure Canon didn‘t expect that Nikon come up with 36MP in an D800 :-)fo 2899,00€, but that's good for us Canon 5D MarkIII Buyers. That's put a bit more pressure to Canon to fix the Camera.

Have a nice Weekend
Warranty will cover faults only within the bounds of the design specifications. In this case, the camera operates as intended.

They intended for the LCD screen to be able to leak light into the body?

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »

Have a nice Weekend
Most buyers and owners? U are talking out the side of your head. Most owners aren't bitching about this non-issue. I am one of many.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:05:40 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
Why are people talking about suing?

Oh no! There is a problem with the camera that doesn't affect anything 99.99% of the time, and if it does affect something, its such a minor problem that can be easily corrected with the push of a button in lightroom.

How terrible. We better hire a lawyer.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »

a recall would mean:

Have a nice Weekend

They intended for the LCD screen to be able to leak light into the body?
Oh no, you are still here...

Mr Sandman, I am not saying they intended to include a light leak, I am saying the camera operates as intended. It operates without fault within the specifications of accurate use of the device. Simple.

This is basic stuff. I don't know why it is still being debated.

PS. I did encounter this problem using a B+W 1000x ND in a pitch black room at -4EV. Subsequently, I got an under exposed picture of "black." :P *rolls eyes*
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:59:52 PM by swrightgfx »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »
You guys still bickering about this? To be honest, my lens cap on photos look exactly the same with the LCD on, or off. If someone would please post their lens cap on Photos with the LCD on and off it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

alberto

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 01:50:37 AM »

Have a nice Weekend
Most buyers and owners? U are talking out the side of your head. Most owners aren't bitching about this non-issue. I am one of many.

Sorry... I got one since March 26, 2012, just yesterday had again a shooting with, as I said it is a great camera with some "minor" flaws and glitches. I like the 5D mark III to work with. but....

Yes the lightleak is a minor problem run outside the spec, but if you have a company how you would decide? with such a publicity and comment on your own website.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480538fc7

or here news.....
 http://www.nzz.ch/nachrichten/digital/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-ist-nicht-lichtdicht_1.16503457.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:59:39 AM by alberto »

jchong62

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »
As a 5D Mark III owner and a long-time loyal Canon customer, I think the "flaw" doesn't affect my photographing but it DOES bother me. Who else would want a product at this sticker price to be flawed.. apparently?

I called Canon USA three days ago, and the gentleman said "Canon is working on it...  by end of April they'll have a resolution for this issue". I advised him I have until end of the month to return it back to the store.

This flaw has nothing to do with top LCD "light". It's the sealing of the body frame surrounding the top LCD panel that leaks light onto the AE sensor. All of my pictures when taken under bright sunlight came out 1/3 to 2/3-stop underexposed, but they could be adjusted using Lightroom. This problem is so obvious that I have observed since first day of use.

Could it be fixed with a firmware update? I doubt it. It's apparently a hardware design defect. Firmware wouldn't be able to tell whether the excessive light is from the lens or leaked through the top LCD sealing.

Is it a *non-issue* with only when the lens cap is on? Read my lips, it has nothing to do with lens cap!! You would be able to observe the auto exposure change by flashing a mini flashlight on top (while having the eyecap stuffed and lens intake not affected by the flashlight) or by switching on and off the top LCD light.

It IS an issue/defect. I want my unit replaced with a new hardware. I wouldn't accept it only refurbished or serviced. And Canon must replace existing owners before selling the refreshed hardware to new customers.

Have a nice Weekend

Sorry... I got one since March 26, 2012, just yesterday had again a shooting with, as I said it is a great camera with some "minor" flaws and glitches. I like the 5D mark III to work with. but....

Yes the lightleak is a minor problem run outside the spec, but if you have a company how you would decide? with such a publicity and comment on your own website.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480538fc7

or here news.....
 http://www.nzz.ch/nachrichten/digital/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-ist-nicht-lichtdicht_1.16503457.html

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »
At the very least the stock seems to be held back, since I haven't seen any stores in the US come back into stock for a couple weeks now. Canon hasn't made it very clear at all what they are doing with stock and shipments.

Hesham

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
At the very least the stock seems to be held back, since I haven't seen any stores in the US come back into stock for a couple weeks now. Canon hasn't made it very clear at all what they are doing with stock and shipments.

And to all those "this is not an issue at all", do you imagine how bold is the decision to hold off selling your hottest product for two weeks, and maybe more? They will never do this unless it is a SERIOUS ISSUE. I am sure that they are working hard to avoid a re-call by all means. Personally i will not wait until my return window expires, mine is going back tomorrow. I'll pretend that the launch date has been postponed till June/July.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »

MrSandman

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
As a 5D Mark III owner and a long-time loyal Canon customer, I think the "flaw" doesn't affect my photographing but it DOES bother me. Who else would want a product at this sticker price to be flawed.. apparently?

I called Canon USA three days ago, and the gentleman said "Canon is working on it...  by end of April they'll have a resolution for this issue". I advised him I have until end of the month to return it back to the store.

This flaw has nothing to do with top LCD "light". It's the sealing of the body frame surrounding the top LCD panel that leaks light onto the AE sensor. All of my pictures when taken under bright sunlight came out 1/3 to 2/3-stop underexposed, but they could be adjusted using Lightroom. This problem is so obvious that I have observed since first day of use.

Could it be fixed with a firmware update? I doubt it. It's apparently a hardware design defect. Firmware wouldn't be able to tell whether the excessive light is from the lens or leaked through the top LCD sealing.

Is it a *non-issue* with only when the lens cap is on? Read my lips, it has nothing to do with lens cap!! You would be able to observe the auto exposure change by flashing a mini flashlight on top (while having the eyecap stuffed and lens intake not affected by the flashlight) or by switching on and off the top LCD light.

It IS an issue/defect. I want my unit replaced with a new hardware. I wouldn't accept it only refurbished or serviced. And Canon must replace existing owners before selling the refreshed hardware to new customers.

Good post.

These people who insist that the light leak isn’t an issue are displaying the typical mob mentality: trumpeting the same BS line (“it only occurs with the lens cap on”) over and over and over because other people are saying it, without demonstrating the slightest interest in considering the matter from a logical or scientific standpoint.  Clearly, the defect creates the potential for a situation where light getting through the LCD panel can cause an appreciable shift in the exposure.  This scenario is far from common, but from a logical standpoint (i.e. based on even a rudimentary understanding of physics and photography) it is a scenario that can occur.  And there are some examples of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8CW723wEo&feature=player_embedded#!

Canon knows it’s a problem, and that’s why an advisory has been put out and the flood 5D Mark IIIs has been brought to a screeching halt.  I can almost guarantee you that when Canon fixes this problem, they’ll see to it that not even a floodlight from Yankee Stadium pointed directly at the LCD screen from 1-foot away will alter the exposure.  This is a royal screw up on Canon's part, and you can be sure they’re going to want to fix it in a way that leaves no doubt whatsoever that it has been fixed.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »

Good post.

These people who insist that the light leak isn’t an issue are displaying the typical mob mentality: trumpeting the same BS line (“it only occurs with the lens cap on”) over and over and over because other people are saying it, without demonstrating the slightest interest in considering the matter from a logical or scientific standpoint.  Clearly, the defect creates the potential for a situation where light getting through the LCD panel can cause an appreciable shift in the exposure.  This scenario is far from common, but from a logical standpoint (i.e. based on even a rudimentary understanding of physics and photography) it is a scenario that can occur.  And there are some examples of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF8CW723wEo&feature=player_embedded#!

Canon knows it’s a problem, and that’s why an advisory has been put out and the flood 5D Mark IIIs has been brought to a screeching halt.  I can almost guarantee you that when Canon fixes this problem, they’ll see to it that not even a floodlight from Yankee Stadium pointed directly at the LCD screen from 1-foot away will alter the exposure.  This is a royal screw up on Canon's part, and you can be sure they’re going to want to fix it in a way that leaves no doubt whatsoever that it has been fixed.

they will fix it starting mid-may,if you want to bother, they said they found a very, very minor problem that will affect few only a very little but there will be a free fix if you want it (i'm not sure if i'd bother myself other than worries if on resale value someone makes a big deal about it)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »