December 18, 2014, 05:03:41 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III NOT Getting Recalled?  (Read 19088 times)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
Re: 5D Mark III NOT Getting Recalled?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 11:11:14 PM »
To tell you the truth, my images have never looked better with the cap on, so no complaints here!

My "Lens-Cap-On" photos looks fantastic as well.  Dunno what all the fuss is about...

+1 i hope the possible recall isnt slowing down my 2nd order for 5d mark iii.
I want two:(
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 11:11:14 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 11:45:29 PM »
I knew there would be no recall... Maybe the solution is to take photos with the lens cap off?

Why must you try to impose your personal preferences upon everyone else? I'll take the lens cap off every now and then when I'm feeling adventurous, but most of the time I prefer the look of my images with the lens cap in place. It lends images with a nice heavy feel, and desaturated tones. All my Flickr buddies love them, too, and encourage me to watermark them before posting them online. It's just a matter of personal preference and style. No need to be rude about it.

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »
Extreme Film Noir.....

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 01:46:55 AM »
If they are holding up delivery of the bodies, they may still plan a firmware change. There have been some very interesting noises coming from the IS on some models of lenses. I also think it is possible to removing rounding errors in the metering system software so that the meter no longer changes as a result of light coming from the display. They may also want to address the problems some are having with wifi SD cards. Maybe they plan to fix the auto ISO not working if the flash is on.

Anyone of these could be good reason to release new firmware. They may just be holding the cameras till they can get the firmware released. There are also some software issues with DPP. They may be replacing the copy that comes with the camera with a new updated release with full support for the 5D3.

Personally I am really happy with both of my 5D3's. I have used them at two weddings, three engagement shoots, baby photos and product photos. They are working great and keeping me in business.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 01:52:37 AM »
I knew there would be no recall... Maybe the solution is to take photos with the lens cap off?

Why must you try to impose your personal preferences upon everyone else? I'll take the lens cap off every now and then when I'm feeling adventurous, but most of the time I prefer the look of my images with the lens cap in place. It lends images with a nice heavy feel, and desaturated tones. All my Flickr buddies love them, too, and encourage me to watermark them before posting them online. It's just a matter of personal preference and style. No need to be rude about it.

;D

I hear you. I'm pretty timid in my shooting too. But every once in a while, I'll shoot a few quick snaps with the lens cap off too, but I just feel so, oh, I don't know, dirty afterwards. I'm just not that kind of guy. It frightens me ever so the emotions that it brings up from deep within. Oh my. So I usually quickly put the cap back on and take proper black frame shot or two and then all is right and safe with the world again.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:57:16 AM by LetTheRightLensIn »

Respinder

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 06:54:24 AM »
Are you guys being sarcastic or something? "Photos with the lens cap on"??

Hesham

Canon is lucky to have such customers!!!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 07:45:12 AM »

;D

I hear you. I'm pretty timid in my shooting too. But every once in a while, I'll shoot a few quick snaps with the lens cap off too, but I just feel so, oh, I don't know, dirty afterwards. I'm just not that kind of guy. It frightens me ever so the emotions that it brings up from deep within. Oh my. So I usually quickly put the cap back on and take proper black frame shot or two and then all is right and safe with the world again.

Really, Canon are probably now so embarrassed by this fault and I imagine the engineers are working hard day/night to save Canon face and come up with a solution, then one of them checks forums like this and says to his colleagues, guys slow down! we don't have to work hard on this, the guys who bought our $3500 bodies are not so frustrated as we ARE! they are willing to give up Night photography and/or cover the LCD to prevent light through the LCD. We have the greatest customers ever. lets just go home and spend minimum hours on this...

the problem is REAL. Future manufactured bodies will be WITHOUT light leak issue. remember this two years when you offer your M3 for sale and every prospect buyer will ask you, "is this before or after the light leak fix?", you say before, but the light leak is not an issue..oh yes...

Even though the light leak is not affecting my daily photography, my 5DM3 is going back as I am 99% sure that Canon must get those bodies back for a physical hardware solution... That's why they are holding them back with only few released to stop any rumors that they are actually preparing all the stock they have now for the surgery room!

canon rumors FORUM

Canon is lucky to have such customers!!!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 07:45:12 AM »

Orion

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 07:58:22 AM »
The one thing I see happening with this "recall," perhaps, is that they would offer current mkIII owners the choice of a $150-300 credit of some sort, or the extreme choice to return it for a fix. . . . IF they can't do any firmware fix.

I was wondering if this same error would happen if you would put one of those WB disks in front of the lens or a REALLY darkvariable ND filters . .  . . . . .

IF SO, then yeah . . . return or major firmware fix for sure . . no amount of credit will suffice in that scenario.

Has anybody tried?

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon is lucky to have such customers!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 08:24:24 AM »
Canon should be embarassed by this problem, but they are not. The media has made a huge a deal out of this issue, and it should be addressed by Canon in due time. This minor issue doesn't stop hordes of people purchasing 5D3s, or pre-ordering them. A ton of 5D3s have sold, and more will continue to sell. Would I like to have this problem fixed?  Sure. Does it hinder me from taking some awesome shots? Not in the slightest. If this was a problem where the 5D3 was having trouble writing photos to its buffer, or writing files to the storage cards, then it would be a huge problem. This is nothing that'll have Canon employees losing sleep over.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Re: Canon is lucky to have such customers!!!
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 10:22:15 AM »
Really, Canon are probably now so embarrassed by this fault and I imagine the engineers are working hard day/night to save Canon face and come up with a solution, then one of them checks forums like this and says to his colleagues, guys slow down! we don't have to work hard on this, the guys who bought our $3500 bodies are not so frustrated as we ARE! they are willing to give up Night photography and/or cover the LCD to prevent light through the LCD. We have the greatest customers ever. lets just go home and spend minimum hours on this...

With drama like this, who needs reality TV? For people that regularly shoot in extremely dark environments and use the top LCD screen to meter, I can see how this might be an issue. Personally, I've always found the top LCD panel to be difficult to see, especially at night, so I've made a habit of always metering through the viewfinder, even if it requires laying on the ground or articulating my neck at awkward angles. Fortunately, the 5DIII has a beautiful 3.2 inch LCD on back that I can pull up the quick menu on to avoid neck strain in these situations.

Back in the film days, meters were horribly unreliable to being with that over exposing a scene by two full stops was often the starting point when shooting at night. Even then, you had to worry about thing like reciprocity failure of the film itself. So if you can remedy this light leak situation by a) not using the top LCD, or b) covering up the LCD should you be in a bizarre situation where your camera is in the dark - and you're shooting a dark object with a bright light shining directly on the LCD panel - covering it up with your hand just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

If Canon offers a fix, I'll be glad to had them fix it when I send my 5DIII in for a routine sensor clean. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother sending it in strictly to address this issue. 

tellthetruth

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 11:23:07 PM »
Canon may not want to admit anything publicly, but my cousin who works for Canons biggest dealer in Tokyo, has said that they informed Canon that they will not be selling any 5D3's until this issue is clarified. They have also returned their current inventory. Their repair guys have replicated the problem easily by just turning the lights in the workshop room on and off. Further, to fix the problem is very difficult indeed as it requires the entire top plate that houses the top lcd housing to be modified.
How could something as basic as this get through QA? They will probably replace cameras for users who are affected and leave the rest who are not affected alone.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »
Canon may not want to admit anything publicly, but my cousin who works for Canons biggest dealer in Tokyo, has said that they informed Canon that they will not be selling any 5D3's until this issue is clarified. They have also returned their current inventory. Their repair guys have replicated the problem easily by just turning the lights in the workshop room on and off. Further, to fix the problem is very difficult indeed as it requires the entire top plate that houses the top lcd housing to be modified.
How could something as basic as this get through QA? They will probably replace cameras for users who are affected and leave the rest who are not affected alone.

Interesting. Not to call your bluff or anything but which retailer?  Any other confirmation of this retailer doing that other than us taking your word that you indeed have a brother and the said brother works at a camera store in Tokyo and isn't making stuff up?
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Hesham

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 12:43:10 AM »

Interesting. Not to call your bluff or anything but which retailer?  Any other confirmation of this retailer doing that other than us taking your word that you indeed have a brother and the said brother works at a camera store in Tokyo and isn't making stuff up?

tellthetruth:
You should know better, these days before posting in any forum, make sure you have proper documentation to support your allegations. Please post a photo of your brother outside the Tokyo shop in addition to (1) a photocopy of his passport showing picture & name clearly. (2) Any form of ID with your name & photo.

After submitting necessary paper work, we might consider that Canon may manufacture defective product and that the 5DM3 we just purchased may need to be opened by local Canon tech. to eliminate the LCD light from leaking into the exposure sensor (DISCLAIMER: I AM JUST RE-ITERATING WHAT HAS BEEN CIRCULATING IN THE NET AND ACKNOWLEDGED BY CANON!)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 12:43:10 AM »

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 02:51:48 AM »
To tell you the truth, my images have never looked better with the cap on, so no complaints here!

My "Lens-Cap-On" photos looks fantastic as well.  Dunno what all the fuss is about...

I'm on a tight budget.  :( So, my question is, has anybody tried any 3rd party lens cap before? How's the color and contrast? Any recommendation?
My 5D Mark III & 50L was recently stolen. So now I'm a man without a Canon Camera.

24-105L  | 100L | 70-200L II | 2x III | RX100M3

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 03:45:04 AM »

I'm on a tight budget.  :( So, my question is, has anybody tried any 3rd party lens cap before? How's the color and contrast? Any recommendation?

I find the camera tends to randomly front or back focus when I use the Sigma lens caps and sometimes the blacks have yellowish tint so I prefer to sick with genuine Canon lens caps.

But more seriously, any news on what is actually going on?  All I know is none of the stores around seem to be getting in any new stock for over a week.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 03:45:04 AM »