September 22, 2014, 04:43:50 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III NOT Getting Recalled?  (Read 18252 times)

Hesham

Re: 5D Mark III NOT Getting Recalled?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 04:02:12 AM »
To tell you the truth, my images have never looked better with the cap on, so no complaints here!

My "Lens-Cap-On" photos looks fantastic as well.  Dunno what all the fuss is about...

I'm on a tight budget.  :( So, my question is, has anybody tried any 3rd party lens cap before? How's the color and contrast? Any recommendation?

I find the camera tends to randomly front or back focus when I use the Sigma lens caps and sometimes the blacks have yellowish tint so I prefer to sick with genuine Canon lens caps.

But more seriously, any news on what is actually going on?  All I know is none of the stores around seem to be getting in any new stock for over a week.

Be careful!!! are you HINTING that Canon is holding 5DM3 stock due to the light leak issue >:(? remember, there is no problem with the camera at all, it is just that Canon techs are busy trying to adjust the camera to behave when the lens cap is on. Yes, there are no limits to their perfection :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 04:02:12 AM »

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 04:07:51 AM »
Canon may not want to admit anything publicly, but my cousin who works for Canons biggest dealer in Tokyo, has said that they informed Canon that they will not be selling any 5D3's until this issue is clarified. They have also returned their current inventory. Their repair guys have replicated the problem easily by just turning the lights in the workshop room on and off. Further, to fix the problem is very difficult indeed as it requires the entire top plate that houses the top lcd housing to be modified.
How could something as basic as this get through QA? They will probably replace cameras for users who are affected and leave the rest who are not affected alone.

Canon Netherlands will NOT withdraw their stocks. (no joke)

They will add a transparent lenscap.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 05:04:22 AM »
If its a re-callable issue, then canon will have to recall the 5d2's and 40d's.  They do the EXACT SAME THING!! What canon is doing is trying to do is find a way to make all the idiot camera users who are way over their heads with the 5d3s happy. You know those little rubber things that come attached to your camera strap?! News for you. That I'd designed to cover the viewfinder to prevent light from entering!!!! This has been happening from the beginning of DSLR. It halarious how people just now think this is a problem.

Hesham

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 05:57:59 AM »
Let me guess.. You just heard about the issue and thought that all the fuzz is about viewfinder?? Could you please step back and re-read one or two articles about the issue before assuming that everybody else are idiots!

briansquibb

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 06:19:34 AM »
it's hard to say now whether they'll get recalled as the question is how can Canon not recall the first batch but fix it on the new one's coming out of the factories, then the people who bought first will be highly dissatisfied.

- do you think anyone will actually notice this problem in real life?
- do tou think then that anyone will notice it has been fixed?

IMHO it is just a storm in a teacup and of no consequence to the vast majority of users

alberto

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 09:17:57 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 09:17:57 AM »

rocketdesigner

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »
Dear Canon Bigwigs:

Due to the so called light leak problem, i have a suggestion:

Put all remaining defective mk iii stock in the refurb store at half price. This will solve several problems. It will clear your shelfs of this horrid problem, plus it will give all the people who complained about the price of the camera no reason to whine anymore.

They can pick one up for a mere $1750.

ps -- ... and seeing as how you are out-selliing the new nikon 25 to 1, I believe you can afford it :P

wookiee2cu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 11:50:28 PM »
My guess is they will release a firmware update that turns the LCD backlight off when the shutter is pressed, problem solved.  People are really making way too much out of this, I have yet to see a shot where this messed up someone's picture.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 12:32:45 AM »
Canon may not want to admit anything publicly, but my cousin who works for Canons biggest dealer in Tokyo, has said that they informed Canon that they will not be selling any 5D3's until this issue is clarified. They have also returned their current inventory. Their repair guys have replicated the problem easily by just turning the lights in the workshop room on and off. Further, to fix the problem is very difficult indeed as it requires the entire top plate that houses the top lcd housing to be modified.
How could something as basic as this get through QA? They will probably replace cameras for users who are affected and leave the rest who are not affected alone.

Interesting. Not to call your bluff or anything but which retailer?  Any other confirmation of this retailer doing that other than us taking your word that you indeed have a brother and the said brother works at a camera store in Tokyo and isn't making stuff up?

tellthetruth:
You should know better, these days before posting in any forum, make sure you have proper documentation to support your allegations. Please post a photo of your brother outside the Tokyo shop in addition to (1) a photocopy of his passport showing picture & name clearly. (2) Any form of ID with your name & photo.

After submitting necessary paper work, we might consider that Canon may manufacture defective product and that the 5DM3 we just purchased may need to be opened by local Canon tech. to eliminate the LCD light from leaking into the exposure sensor (DISCLAIMER: I AM JUST RE-ITERATING WHAT HAS BEEN CIRCULATING IN THE NET AND ACKNOWLEDGED BY CANON!)

40d? 5d2?  This is nothing new. You should know better yourself. With all the misinformation on the web and complaints about such a minor issue it would maybe affect .01% of everyday shoots unless you purposely tried to do it, it isn't worth the time or energy. It's like the iPhone 4 attennagate issue. Most everybody could reproduce the effect but so few times and reports of it affecting people in day to day issues was so small to worry about. I'm sure your next response is that it's a $200 vs $3500 thing but it just isn't an issue unless you try to make it one. You succeeded. Well done.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Hesham

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2012, 02:16:30 AM »

I am sorry to say that IT IS AN ISSUE. I did an experiment yesterday taking a night photo with\without LCD light on and live view and posted my results as a question (http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5914.0)

The thing is, when taking night photos you have to rely on the LCD data as the live view metering is quite different as I discovered (check my post). So I had to turn the LCD on and that underexposed my image.

You have the right to keep your defective camera and work around this issue and any other issue that my arise, but for me I'll give Canon few days to see if they will provide a solution. If it involves sending the camera for a fix, then it is going back but to the retailer as a return.

Interesting. Not to call your bluff or anything but which retailer?  Any other confirmation of this retailer doing that other than us taking your word that you indeed have a brother and the said brother works at a camera store in Tokyo and isn't making stuff up?

tellthetruth:
You should know better, these days before posting in any forum, make sure you have proper documentation to support your allegations. Please post a photo of your brother outside the Tokyo shop in addition to (1) a photocopy of his passport showing picture & name clearly. (2) Any form of ID with your name & photo.

After submitting necessary paper work, we might consider that Canon may manufacture defective product and that the 5DM3 we just purchased may need to be opened by local Canon tech. to eliminate the LCD light from leaking into the exposure sensor (DISCLAIMER: I AM JUST RE-ITERATING WHAT HAS BEEN CIRCULATING IN THE NET AND ACKNOWLEDGED BY CANON!)

40d? 5d2?  This is nothing new. You should know better yourself. With all the misinformation on the web and complaints about such a minor issue it would maybe affect .01% of everyday shoots unless you purposely tried to do it, it isn't worth the time or energy. It's like the iPhone 4 attennagate issue. Most everybody could reproduce the effect but so few times and reports of it affecting people in day to day issues was so small to worry about. I'm sure your next response is that it's a $200 vs $3500 thing but it just isn't an issue unless you try to make it one. You succeeded. Well done.

stevenrrmanir

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 02:19:51 AM »
a recall would be disasterous to Canon!

a recall would mean:

a) Canon would spend money on replacing and fixing the bodies
b) potential customers would think three times about purchasing it
c) admitting there is an issue, weakening their stance once lawsuits start being thrown around

the current issue with the bodies will be taken to court and there WILL be a lawsuit - but at this time, the collection of data is what is happening... a lawsuit is in the works, and Canon is now walking on eggs...

a recall would be suicide for Canon (but again, remember, you the customer are not that too important) - you should be ok in using the camera as it is! :)

hnjdk

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 03:02:10 AM »

a recall would mean:

c) admitting there is an issue, weakening their stance once lawsuits start being thrown around

the current issue with the bodies will be taken to court and there WILL be a lawsuit - but at this time, the collection of data is what is happening... a lawsuit is in the works, and Canon is now walking on eggs...

a recall would be suicide for Canon (but again, remember, you the customer are not that too important) - you should be ok in using the camera as it is! :)

And if Canon holds up the specifications you should have known, long before you bought the camera - you will lose a lot of money by your lawsuit.

Metering Range
EV 1-20 (at 73°F / 23°C with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:05:21 AM by hnjdk »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 03:02:10 AM »

Hesham

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 03:13:29 AM »

a recall would mean:

What? No body will sue Canon. As I read from other posters (and 5DM3 owners I presume) that this is not an issue at all. What if little light leaked into a 'camera'? I bet early pinhole box cameras had some light leaks also ;D. You guys just want everything 100% perfect? Just go out and shoot and don't forget not to turn on the LCD at night and you might also need to be carefull when direct sunlight hits the LCD while photographing subjects in the shadow.

Why don't we just put a black tape on the LCD and button, just to be in the safe side. CANON, don't bother with fixing this, you've got the nicest customer base ever. (sorry for the sarcastic post)

alberto

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »

a recall would mean:

What? No body will sue Canon. As I read from other posters (and 5DM3 owners I presume) that this is not an issue at all. What if little light leaked into a 'camera'? I bet early pinhole box cameras had some light leaks also ;D. You guys just want everything 100% perfect? Just go out and shoot and don't forget not to turn on the LCD at night and you might also need to be carefull when direct sunlight hits the LCD while photographing subjects in the shadow.

Why don't we just put a black tape on the LCD and button, just to be in the safe side. CANON, don't bother with fixing this, you've got the nicest customer base ever. (sorry for the sarcastic post)

If it is not an issue at all, fine for Canon, but I am sure they have to fix it. To much is public now and in the most europeen countrys we have this customer protection, 2 years warranty and refund by dealer and company.
I think Canon will do a recall or a fix by firmware. That‘s normally not a to big deal for them. Better to fix it,
better reputation. S___ happens ;-).

But most buyers and owners are so angry and looking for a faulty camera, is the price they paid for. 3299,00€ for an update is something. No question the EOS 5D Mark III is a great camera, with an superherb AF- System, but for so much money they expected a flawlessly camera.

I am sure Canon didn‘t expect that Nikon come up with 36MP in an D800 :-)fo 2899,00€, but that's good for us Canon 5D MarkIII Buyers. That's put a bit more pressure to Canon to fix the Camera.

Have a nice Weekend

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »