October 22, 2014, 01:25:03 AM

Author Topic: Canon 40D Shutter button **FAILURE**  (Read 18444 times)

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 40D Shutter button **FAILURE**
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
The number of failures like this are pretty low, I've had a dozen or more Canon DSLR's with no issue, and I have friends with many more that have never had it.

That is no consolation for a owner that gets the problem.  Switches are by nature unreliable, they can create their own failures and oxidation, no need for external debris.  However, switch technology has greatly improved over the past years, computer keyboards are a example.  They used to have switch failures frequently, but now they are improved, even though the price has been driven way down.  They just learned how to make them better.

I have had both a 30D and a 40D develop shutter issues.  The 30D did it after a couple months, the 40D had about 35K actuations when its problems developed.  Of course, this is all anecdotal, but my experience with XXD shutter buttons has been less than stellar, FWIW.
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »
  Then, I googled the shutter problem and found this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB_gSqyidI0

And it worked!  Seriously, you won't believe how easy it is.  I now have a 'brand new' shutter on my 30D.

I am one of the people who posted to this Youtube feed to say it worked on my 40D - flawlessly in fact. After six months (at least) and 5000+ shutter actuations my 40D is still performing flawlessly. I did it once and snapped the buuting like in the video and then also rotated the button. I did a second cleaning twelve hours later. I was qoted $150 CDN to replace the button, I am glad I found this video prior to dishing out $150 on a body that is only worth $450.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »