November 27, 2014, 11:44:07 PM

Author Topic: Canon, READ THIS, you HAVE to give us something, suggestions?  (Read 1785 times)

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Canon, you have to give us something, we are forgetting about you, my 5DMK3 sitting here, feeling down.
all sorts of news about professional products at a consumer prices. i never minded the price of my new 5D, i love this camera, but now, i cant help to feel like id like to own a black magic camera too and just keep the 5D for stills.
at least i can use the lenses i bought, which were as much as the camera itself.
If Canon really wanted to shut everyone up now, the only right thing to do is release a firmware upgrade next week that gives us clean HDMI out. that is the only answer. NIkon has it, its foolish we dont. this way we can still have our still camera and for 1500 bucks get a recorder of our choice and make us be able to shoot professional quality video. then we would have professional photography and videography in our hands, that beats the black magic camera in my mind, especially as far as a prosumer market.
who agrees this is the one upgrade that will break the ice?
5D MKIII

canon rumors FORUM

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon, READ THIS, you HAVE to give us something, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 06:12:03 PM »
Black magic, or do you mean magic lantern?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Chris0lsen

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:48:25 PM »
The Blackmagic camera is attractive, yeah, and the 2.5K resolution is worth fretting over, as a Canon owner, but the sensor is approximately Micro Four Thirds, which is pretty extremely cropped if you plan on using lenses you purchased for a full-frame 5D3.

And there are some other concerns I have about the Blackmagic. Monitoring, etc. I haven't used it (nobody has, except testers, right?), but I think it's a very different machine from the 5D3. It still looks like a fantastic starting point for prosumer videographers.

I'm also hoping Canon rolls out some firmware updates for the Mk III... I've heard horror stories about noise caused by the codec for Mac users... Any more word on that issue?

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:19:03 PM »
Black magic, or do you mean magic lantern?

The BlackMagic camera is a video camera that uses Canon EF mount lenses: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera

It hasn't been released yet, as far as I know...people have only handled it at trade shows and the like. It seems intriguing until you realize it has a small cropped sensor, not a full-frame sensor.

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:28:09 PM »
the cropped sensor is the least of my worries, it actually works towards an advantage for focus, the 5d with its full frame is almost impossible for my assistants, even look at shanes act of valor movie, so much out of focus.
5D MKIII

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:09:47 AM »
Clean HDMI out would be pointless. The cripple on the 5D3 is the juvenile 3x3 pixel binning (and I think the binning orbits across four origins as a crude means of removing aliasing while blurring the image further) which would give you poor resolution even through clean HDMI. I can't believe the Digic 5+ can only manage such crude downscaling. It is a cripple, perhaps to protect a 5DC (Cinema, not Classic) to come. One hopes they don't cripple the stills features out of that so they don't cripple themselves right out of their main sales proposition (buy one camera for everything!).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:09:47 AM »