October 21, 2014, 08:39:26 AM

Author Topic: Have you considered joining the dark side?...  (Read 34248 times)

akiskev

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
Re: Have you considered joining the dark side?...
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 11:41:42 AM »
Is Sony Nex considered to be Dark Side? I'm asking because I want a Nex-5N so badly!!!
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 11:41:42 AM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »
Brand loyalty is silly. "I love my Chevy and will never own a Ford" is for simpletons. If you have a need and rely upon your gear, you buy the best gear for the job.

That example is of course invalid because buying a truck doesn't involve massive amounts of other parts that only work with a Chevy.

You say it's for simpletons. Partially true. But it's more for people without s*** tons of money to waste switching brands every generations.  ::)
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »
I don't think brand loyalty is such a bad thing.

In many industries it is simply impossible to find trustworthy product comparisons, because one or another vendor is doing more business with the people doing the testing, thus resulting in a bias governed simply by the amount of money spend by a vendor to endear themselves. That is a simple factor and completely ruins any hopes by naive consumers that for example the next car of the year maybe something better than the rest. I trust more in the experiences of colleagues and friends actually using Canon, Nikon or Sony gear than I have faith in many of the self-styled independent test providers.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 11:58:53 AM »
I own Nikon gear as well for the rental gig. I can honestly say I never pick up a Nikon in favour of a Canon.

I may be sorry, But I'm giving it a try.  If I don't like the D800, I'll be able to sell it pretty easily, and by then pick up a 1D MK 4 or a 1D X.

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
I too have orders for the D800 as well as the D800E.  I've also just invested in a minimum number of Nikon lenes that I use a novafles adapter on.  With the exception of the 14-24 I'm not impressed with the Nikon glass over the same lenes on the Canon side but I'll wait and see until I actually get a Nikon body before I can say anything for sure.  I really like most of my Canon glass and some of it I love (like the 135 F2 - wow!).

smirkypants

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »
That example is of course invalid because buying a truck doesn't involve massive amounts of other parts that only work with a Chevy.
Buying a Chevy locks you into a dealer network. It locks you into where you can service your vehicle. I decided not to buy a particular brand because the service center was too far. You're also buying into that brand's repair costs.

Let's face it, buying a Nikon isn't like buying "Brand X." It's a known quantity with lots of followers. I would have to say that for the majority of people, and I tell this to nearly everyone asking me camera buying advice, the brand is of little difference. For some people with very particular needs, it makes sense. For me it makes huge sense. To someone who does serious landscape work, 36MP + dynamic range that kills the 5D3, it makes perfect sense.

If you are a wedding/event photographer, it makes no sense at all. None. Switching brands is idiocy. Likewise, if you don't make a living from your gear, it doesn't make a lot of sense to switch. I still contend that blind allegiance to a brand is irrational and that an informed buyer makes decisions based upon the full breadth of information available and a careful analysis of needs and what meets those needs.

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
why call it "the dark side" all of this snobbery and fanboy crap is annoying. Nikon make perfectly excellent products that are no better or inferior to Canon. I personally use canon because when I made the move to digital it was the first product I tried - I have used my friends Nikon D700 and a bunch of his Nikon gear and i have no complaints - it's not easier to use or worse. Canon & Nikon make amazing products - If I could afford it I would have gear from both companies
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »
Why would we not call it the dark side? Canon's long L lenses are white, Nikon's are black. That is not to say one is better than the other, they just use different colours. The Star Wars reference is simply for fun. Don't you like Darth Vader? That's my favourite character in those movies, although it's not a goody two-shoes character by any stretch of the imagination. So I don't think there are any bad vibes in our light or dark sides of photography.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »
would be interested in some mid-term views from those who have picked up a D800, once you've got used to the camera and have a good feel on how to get the best from it...
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »
Count me in on that. I also prefer to read about actual real life experiences and results by real photographers instead of some marketing people trying to manipulate the market in more or less complete ignorance of what is actually possible with the products they write about.

briansquibb

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »
Why would we not call it the dark side? Canon's long L lenses are white, Nikon's are black. That is not to say one is better than the other, they just use different colours. The Star Wars reference is simply for fun. Don't you like Darth Vader? That's my favourite character in those movies, although it's not a goody two-shoes character by any stretch of the imagination. So I don't think there are any bad vibes in our light or dark sides of photography.

The fact that the CEO of Nikon is Mr Palpatine is a mere coincidence :D

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
What will all the "system switchers" do when Canon leapfrogs with it's next camera? Sell your 2-3yr old equipment again and switch back?

Call me crazy, and this has nothing to do with brand loyalty, but isn't the point of investing in a system to save money? Your lenses can last a lifetime. There must be a lot of very successful and rich professional photographers on this forum.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »
Let's see. Switching to the D800 will gain me 14MP, some more DR, a pop up flash and easy access to the great 12-24.
If I do that I lose some high ISO capabilities, 2fps, the use of the irreplaceable 50 1.2, 85 1.2 and MPE65, ergonomics and workflow that I vastly prefer, that certain subjective look of Canon images that I love and potential access to Magic Lantern.

For me the choice was easy. For me whatever advantages the Nikon body offers are dwarfed by the advantages the Canon system offers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:07:35 PM by DavidRiesenberg »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
Yes, I have considered it - my plan was to buy a used D700 once prices dropped a bit when everyone has their D800. I considered the idea because I have 5 AI and AI-S Nikkor lenses I use with my FM2n and I find them quite enjoyable to use. However, I enjoy the focal lengths without a crop factor. I never have considered switching, though - just adding a Nikon body.

At this point in time, however, I'm thinking a $100 lens adapter on my 60D is much more economically pleasing to my wife.
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

FunkyCamera

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »
I always thought Nikon users tend to be more creepy, I'll be staying with Canon.  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »