July 22, 2014, 08:23:05 PM

Author Topic: The Techradar Test of the 5D MK3  (Read 6873 times)

Astro

The Techradar Test of the 5D MK3
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:18:31 AM »
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-1074186/review/page:5#articleContent

the techradar test:

TIFF images (after conversion from raw) have a consistently good signal to noise ratio across the sensitivity range comparing closely to the Canon EOS 1Ds Mk III and just having the edge over the Nikon D800. It also shows a slight improvement at all sensitivities over the Canon EOS 5D Mk II.

TIFF files (after conversion from raw) have a high dynamic range with results comparing closely to the Nikon D4 and D800. Compared with the Canon EOS 5D Mk II, there is a marked improvement showing over 2EV greater range at the lower end of the sensitivity scale.

i thought techradar is a DxO certified lab?   ???

http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/noise-and-dynamic-range-results-explained-1027588

canon rumors FORUM

The Techradar Test of the 5D MK3
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:18:31 AM »

ivo_sr

Re: The Techradar Test of the 5D MK3
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:33:31 AM »
This is cool:

"The pentaprism lump on the top, for example, is a little larger and more rounded to accommodate the AF module, which is 2.5x larger than the one in the Canon EOS 5D Mk II."

They don't have even an idea where the AF module actually is. But this does not prevent them to write reviews. :)

Astro

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:50:59 AM »
This is cool:

"The pentaprism lump on the top, for example, is a little larger and more rounded to accommodate the AF module, which is 2.5x larger than the one in the Canon EOS 5D Mk II."

They don't have even an idea where the AF module actually is. But this does not prevent them to write reviews. :)

they dont write it´s located there.... they write it has to be bigger to cover the bigger AF area.

you can´t read but that does not prevent you from writing comments.... ;)

D.Sim

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
This is cool:

Actually they do ;)

Prism moves up to accomodate the AF module... which fits... where I wonder.

Its an interesting review... wonder if any 1DsIII owners will be able to agree to that statement

ivo_sr

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »
This is cool:

Actually they do ;)

Prism moves up to accomodate the AF module... which fits... where I wonder.

Its an interesting review... wonder if any 1DsIII owners will be able to agree to that statement

Nothing personal, but I think Astro has problem with reading ;)

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »
How do Techradar's testing procedures differ from DxO? According to Techradar, the D800 has and edge in DR, but it's more like 1/2 to 1 stop instead of the 3 stop advantage quoted by DxO. This seems more in line with my own worthless subjective impressions of what I'm seeing in the files from both bodies. The D800 ,definitely has the edge, but it just doesn't look like a full 3 stops, which represents an 8-fold increase in light.

Secondly, Techradar's tests show the 5DIII's raw files as having a solid 2 to 2.5 stop DR advantage over the 5DII. According to DxO, the 5DIII has inferior DR to the 5DII. DxO also rates the D800 on top of the 5DIII in terms of noise, but Techradar shows the exact opposite. These mixed and conflicting results don't do much for proponents of judging IQ based on lab tests.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:53:34 AM by V8Beast »

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »
Nothing personal, but I think Astro has problem with reading ;)

no you have.
get some infos about the new AF sytems and you will see why the prism lump has to be bigger.

there is not a single word about the AF sensor being located in the pentaprism lump. 

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:56:58 AM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:11:21 AM »
How do Techradar's testing procedures differ from DxO? According to Techradar, the D800 has and edge in DR, but it's more like 1/2 to 1 stop instead of the 3 stop advantage quoted by DxO. This seems more in line with my own worthless subjective impressions of what I'm seeing in the files from both bodies. The D800 ,definitely has the edge, but it just doesn't look like a full 3 stops, which represents an 8-fold increase in light.

Secondly, Techradar's tests show the 5DIII's raw files as having a solid 2 to 2.5 stop DR advantage over the 5DII. According to DxO, the 5DIII has inferior DR to the 5DII. DxO also rates the D800 on top of the 5DIII in terms of noise, but Techradar shows the exact opposite. These mixed and conflicting results don't do much for proponents of judging IQ based on lab tests.

Kinda looks to me like (1) there is some buggy "testing" software floating around or (2) there are some buggy testing software users floating around or (3) there are some buggy camera users trying to test floating around.

Just remember folks, it ain't "science" until the results are repeatable...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:27:45 AM by skitron »
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

EvilTed

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
I think this is a very fair and balanced review.
I read the D800 one after and think they pretty much nailed it.

Look guys, I don't know why everyone is so depressed by the DxO tests?
Every other site where someone has tested both (you know, actually used the cameras side by side) has been able to consistently highlight the strengths and weaknesses of each camera.

I mean to say, even Ken Rockwell has acknowledged that for him, the 5DMK 3 is the preferred camera AND it doesn't have the vivid settings of the Nikons :)

As we speculated before either were released, the 5D MK3 is the successor to the D700 and the D800 is the successor to the 5D MK2.

Different horses for different courses.

Me, I'm really happy I made the switch to Canon and love the 5D MK3 and the glass.
Remember, Nikons have an inferior mounting system and have no primes faster than F/1.4 ;)

ET

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »
Thanks for posting.  I did know this website.  Very good and fair review.  I too read the d800 review after from the same site and seen very fair.

Thanks again.

1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:38:28 AM »
I don't need to know what the D800 is doing or being good for, I KNOW, from owning one a couple of weeks, what the 5d3 is capable of, and am I missing something about this camera? Nope! I even like the reduced size of my main body compared to previously being a 1d4 user.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

NickCat

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »
I'm curious why people aren't more intrigued by this review seeing as it doesn't exactly put the DxO test on it's ear, but it certainly shows that in RAW (with TIFF conversion) the results are rather different. 

VirtualRain

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »
It's perplexing that the two organizations could produce such different results.
Canon 5D Mark III, 35L, 85L, 24-105L, 70-300L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 07:17:35 PM »

none of their results remotely match what anybody else as measured in the lab or demonstrated real world so I think they are doing something wrong

feeding TIFFs seems very odd too
wouldn't that mean they had to process the RAWs first??

I didn't look into what they did, but their plots and results don't match anything I've seen anyone else get.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:33:06 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

Astro

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »
Quote from: LetTheRightLensIn link=topic=5868.msg113840#msg113840
tech radar simply doesn't know what they are doing
none of their results remotely match what anybody else as measured in the lab or demonstrated real world

you must have seen other reviews then i have.

techradars results are closer to most tests i have seen then the DXO results.

and why is DXO certifing a lab that has no clue..? im more and more confused...  8)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:24:12 PM by Astro »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »