November 01, 2014, 02:53:56 AM

Author Topic: Sorry 5D3, Insufficient Value  (Read 14886 times)

stevenrrmanir

Re: Sorry 5D3, Insufficient Value
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 01:26:12 AM »
some of you do not know what the word "invest" means

invest if when you spend $10 today, and after an x amount of time, the value of your initial "deposit" or "investition" or "purchase" increases

camera bodies and lens prices DEPRECIATE in time

purchasing these does NOT constitute an INVESTMENT

they will depreciate in x amount of time

if you really want to invest, purchase silver, gold or precious metals where the cost of these over history continues to increase (even though there may be corrections from time to time)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:28:34 AM by stevenrrmanir »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 01:26:12 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 03:05:17 AM »
Is it really fair to compare the price of the spanking new 5d3 at launch to a three year old 5d2 sitting in the shelfs?

Compare launch price and be f@@@ing mad you paid the launch price for the 5d2 when you could've just waited three years and got the 5d3 for almost nothing in between... bah....
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 03:35:12 AM »
People are upset in here.  It would be cool (and rare) if we could all be considerate of that and help each other chill out, even if it means not getting our points across.  That's seems more important.

+1 ... the question "what's better for my needs, lenses with an aps-c body or the 5d3" imho is very valid. If there was a Canon Rumors Wiki the advantaged and disadvantages of various combinations could be discussed more structured than grabbing random facts out of the box and throw at the opposing party.

And this is capitalism, after all: Rich or very well-off people should have the best gear, it's great that these people support Canon with the 5d3 so they can release a new aps-c body at a sane price.

However, I think the heated argument from 5d3 owners about the price tells something for itself: It the 5d3 really would be a no-brainer upgrade like with the original 5d2 release price or below, they'd just say: "So whats the problem? Don't get it if you don't want to, but you're not doing yourself a favor".  But the fishing for compliments for the 5d3 performance shows to me that Canon didn't do a stellar job here.

idratherplaytennis

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 12:55:24 PM »
I am sure Canon will not miss me (but will miss the $$$). I sure won't miss their bodies after I sell them!

This quote alone was worth my going from reading this post on my iPhone (and no, not an apple fan boy despite loving my iPhone and iPods, I built my pc from scratch on my own with my own knowledge and everything and refuse to have it any other way, as well as refusing to pay the obscene premium price of their computing products, even if they have amazing displays) and getting on my computer to respond.

First- I don't want to make any arguments (although I so know I am... >:) but you all have made very valid points. There's only a few considerations to consider. First and foremost, I don't know the exact value of the company, but I know it's easily a multimillion to billion dollar company, and one less person buying their cameras- they won't miss that money, there are hundreds more out there who are interested in them. Secondly, even if you're adjusting for inflation, and taking into effect the depreciated value of the dollar (and to make sense- gas costs more, people are not making that much more than they were when gas was a dollar a gallon cheaper- at least most people are not... and we're in a bigger deficit than ever before...), it's still only 500 dollars more than the intro of the Mark II. I don't know what you make or what everyone's budgets are but I do think you can manage to find a way to cut back for 2-3 weeks on something (food), especially if you live alone and have no family to worry about. Pretty sure living on Top Ramen for 2 weeks- far less than any college student has spent on the stuff, I know- would save you a few hundred in a heart beat. And what do you have to complain about? An excess intake of msg? Exercise more and burn it off :P

A great post by someone else also posted this: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=3873.0 about the inflation and the fact that it actually costs less to buy the Mark III than it really should. And because that fanboyism term is thrown around so freely- I'm no fanboy of anything except my soda and beer of choice. If one company makes a superior item to another, be it a tool, a hamburger (okay, fanboy of 3 things, I forgot about In-N-Out), computer parts, whatever it is- I'll buy the superior product if I can afford to, and have a great enough desire to. You have clearly had a poor experience with Canon products, and for that- I'm sorry. It doesn't mean you have to degrade yourself online with the trolls who poke fun, spam and otherwise annoy everyone just to get a rise out of you by posting snide replies to your response, even if you're new to a forum. Just saying- why in the first place are you still here if you're attempting to get out? That's like a smoker trying to quit smoking going to a smokers convention... or Vegas.

And to remain slightly on point to the OP- Nice shot that you got with the lower end glass and a lower end camera. There's no arguing in the value of that. But as someone else stated- just because it's a higher end camera, doesn't mean that the higher end cameras will give a better ratio of perfectly focused shots to attempts made. Just do a search and find the dozens of articles and pros who will agree with that. Why do higher end cameras allow for so many more actuations? Because the pros who use them for a living, shoot that many more pictures. Sure they still have a higher image quality, and the low-light performance is obscene, but the fact remains that it's a bad statistic to choose a camera body by. Trust me, if a pro could get by making more perfect shots with less actuations, and you didn't take the ISO noise, and other image qualities and camera features into account, I mean only went by actuation counts, then the cheaper lens with less actuations would be of more benefit. I'm just saying... and it's just an example..

And lastly, to whoever was talking about sub-L lens primes outperforming some L zooms? Umm, yes. The nature of the beast. A prime has less glass and even one as cheap as the 50 1.8. And yes, many will agree the 1.2 L is not worth it when the 1.4 and 1.8 non L's shoot better and are all below half a grand in cost. But that is comparing apples to oranges. Show me a (16-35L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200L) that are outperformed in aperture, image quality or anything else by a sub-L, equivalently ranged zoom. I've already noted and agree the 50L prime is outperformed by sub-L lenses, it's out there, and I'm sure it's the case that there could be some better ones, but what's more important in the long run anyways? Happiness, or an argument that someone who pays more should get better shots? I'm happy with my cheaper as well as my more expensive lenses, upgrading my 20D to a 5D Mark III and being out that much more money. I'm happy with the fact that in the end, it's all just a camera, and ya know what? It all won't matter in another ten years because there will be a NEW equivalent camera to b**** and complain about :D. So let's all get out and shoot!!!

caMARYnon

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 03:33:12 PM »
First and foremost, I don't know the exact value of the company, but I know it's easily a multimillion to billion dollar company, and one less person buying their cameras- they won't miss that money, there are hundreds more out there who are interested in them.
I think this is not valid ...you must tell this to Nokia, Kodak, Philips TV etc. We will see Apple's destiny, history was always cyclic, now Apple is on the wave, tomorrow it will be like Nokia maybe, who knows. Any company (big like Canon or not so big like Nikon) must listen to any customer. And I really don't think in this moment (and after the first wave) there are people standing in line to buy 5D3.
I'm sure most of those who upgraded from the original 5D or from crop are really pleased. But those who upgraded from 5D2... I think they are not fully satisfied.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:19:44 PM by caMARYnon »
5D mkIII + P&S S45; 35 f2 IS; 100 f2.8L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; EF 1,4x III; 600EX-RT; 270EX

briansquibb

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »
I believe a 1D4 is better value for money than a 5DIII - especially if you can get a use one.

Different type of camera but if you want a sports camera with top IQ then it is still the current top of the pile

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
I believe a 1D4 is better value for money than a 5DIII - especially if you can get a use one.

Different type of camera but if you want a sports camera with top IQ then it is still the current top of the pile
The 1D4 is not even FF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »

The 1D4 is not even FF.

So what? The image that comes from it is top rate. 10 fps, top AF, metering at the AF point, AF for f/8 lens, good high ISO images plus all those nice series 1 functions (like manual settings plus exposure control). 5DIII doesn't come near it for sports/birds/wildlife.

caMARYnon

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »

The 1D4 is not even FF.

So what? The image that comes from it is top rate. 10 fps, top AF, metering at the AF point, AF for f/8 lens, good high ISO images plus all those nice series 1 functions (like manual settings plus exposure control). 5DIII doesn't come near it for sports/birds/wildlife.
Agreed
5D mkIII + P&S S45; 35 f2 IS; 100 f2.8L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; EF 1,4x III; 600EX-RT; 270EX

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 08:22:25 AM »

invest if when you spend $10 today, and after an x amount of time, the value of your initial "deposit" or "investition" or "purchase" increases

Quick - tell that to Wall Street and the real estate market.  Clearly, they lack your pithy understanding of the word 'invest'.   :P

You might want to include yourself in the 'some of you' group after you read this article indicating that a 'lens price index' has solidly outperformed the major stock market indices over the past several years.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2012, 08:30:30 AM »

Actually, when studying economy I was told that as a private individual, you cannot invest at all - only consume or save. The only entities that can "invest" are businesses, I guess being a freelance pro photog counts as such. While that of course is pure nomenclature, it reminded me of not being too smart when economic theory clashes with real world discussions.

solarpos

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »

Quick - tell that to Wall Street and the real estate market.  Clearly, they lack your pithy understanding of the word 'invest'.   :P

You might want to include yourself in the 'some of you' group after you read this article indicating that a 'lens price index' has solidly outperformed the major stock market indices over the past several years.

ZING!

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »
5DII owner and see no reason to upgrade at all. 90% convinced I'll be shooting a D800 this summer based on how things are going (assuming I can even buy one since demand has left none anywhere in the continental US)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »
I find it impossible to loose as I invest in memories...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »
Ha, or to the hundreds of thousands of people who have lost money in the stock market for that matter. They might also call it "throwing money away", but, it's investing as well. It's only the expectation of growth that constitutes investing, "successful investing" would be those who made money.

Gotta say, a camera is much better than most other big ticket items in holding price. My TV is worthless 3 years from now, my car is worth at best half the price, I couldn't give away my smartphone to a homeless person...the list goes on.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »