August 02, 2014, 02:40:05 AM

Author Topic: Patent: New Diffractive Optic Patents  (Read 5667 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Patent: New Diffractive Optic Patents
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
Can I have a cheap 600mm f/4 DO please?  8)

OK now I asked for the impossible (cheap)

I think Canon would consider $11,000 cheap, so it depensa on who you are asking :)

For the price that Canon will be asking they may as well introduce this lens in 10 years...
It's the same for me :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »

Renato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 07:08:51 PM »

I think Canon would consider $11,000 cheap, so it depensa on who you are asking :)

For the price that Canon will be asking they may as well introduce this lens in 10 years...

Yes, I am buying Sigma lenses now.  So far I am happy!  We should not buy from Canon to teach them a lesson.  The market (us) will teach them a lesson.. or lets say the D800 is teaching them a lesson now! >:(

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 07:10:39 PM »
Why would Canon want a DO 14/2.8?  I was under the impression that DO was to make big telephoto lenses smaller and lighter.  What will DO do for the already small, in relation to the big white teles, 14/2.8?

Or is this so we can have a new lens at a new price?  New = higher.

Sometimes it's hard to correct wide lenses for chromatic aberration so maybe they let the DO take care of that and then focus everything else on all the other image quality reducing aspects? Just a guess though.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 07:49:23 PM »

Yes, I am buying Sigma lenses now.  So far I am happy!  We should not buy from Canon to teach them a lesson.  The market (us) will teach them a lesson.. or lets say the D800 is teaching them a lesson now! >:(
I am afraid this - teaching Canon a lesson- is not necessarily possible at least by using Sigma lenses.

I have an old Tokina ATX28-70 f/2.8 that I can use it only on my EOS1n and earlier EOS620 and EOS600 bodies. I could not even use it on a CANON 50E !!!!
Almost the same with my old Sigma 14mm. I can use on my analogs Canons and  only at fully open aperture I can use it on my EOS5DmkII. Of course I do not want to use it at this aperture.

By saying this I mean that buying Sigma or other 3rd party lenses we are running the risk to not be able to use them in the future.

Renato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »
If Canon makes their cameras not compatible with new lenses, then they will loose market share because many people canot afford their lenses.  I bouth a 5D MIII and am waiting for delivery but cannot but a 300 f/8!  It is ridiculus that this lens price is so high.  Sigma is much cheaper and I have read that is very, very good!  I would probaly have to try it out before I buy it. 

I think that Canon is going to feel some pressure and hopefully the Nikon thing will put some sense in to their stragety.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »
If Canon makes their cameras not compatible with new lenses, then they will loose market share because many people canot afford their lenses.  I bouth a 5D MIII and am waiting for delivery but cannot but a 300 f/8!  It is ridiculus that this lens price is so high.  Sigma is much cheaper and I have read that is very, very good!  I would probaly have to try it out before I buy it. 

I think that Canon is going to feel some pressure and hopefully the Nikon thing will put some sense in to their stragety.
Actually it's the 3rd party lenses that have to be 100% compatible with Canon not vice versa.
The problem is when new bodies are introduced, Canon's responsibility is to make these bodies compatible with Canon lenses and not to care about backward compatibility with 3rd party lenses.
So the Sigma (or Tamron or Tokina, etc...) lens that works today say on a Canon 5DmkIII will not necessarily work with a possible future body 5DmkVI. 

As both Tokina and Sigma claimed inability to update their old lenses to work with digital Canon bodies I do not trust them any more. This can happen again.

I know that many Canon lenses can get extremely expensive  >:(. I get what I can.

Renato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »
As both Tokina and Sigma claimed inability to update their old lenses to work with digital Canon bodies I do not trust them any more. This can happen again.
I am new to this.  When did this happen? 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »

I am new to this.  When did this happen?

I bought the Tokina ATX28-70 f2.8 by the year 1993. It worked fine on my EOS600 and EOS620 (and later I found out that it worked fine on EOS1n). When I tried to use it on a EOS50E (1996 or 1997) the camera was blacking out when I pressed the shutter release. Needless to say it does not work with digital bodies too  >:(

My old Sigma 14mm - I say old because there was a newer edition of that lens - works ... a little on my EOS5DmkII Only when the aperture is fully open (You can only imagine the vignetting I get! I didn't even care to check the optical quality).

I didn't even know that there was at least a specific usable aperture until I saw at ebay a listing of a very old SIGMA 500mm that was reported to work with analog bodies plus with EOS5DmkII at open aperture (only). That gave me the idea to check my SIGMA lens.

Check:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-Sigma-APO-500mm-1-4-5-Case-/170784321711?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item27c389f0af

"This lens will only focus on digital cameras like the 5D or 50D and work with an open aperture, you will get an error message if you stop down "
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:56:21 AM by tron »

Renato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 07:51:05 AM »
I sure hope that this does not intensify in the future.  I need the lens, I dont have the money so I buy other brands.  I imagine that that the same type of problems have happened to other manufacturers.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 08:00:53 AM »
I sure hope that this does not intensify in the future.  I need the lens, I dont have the money so I buy other brands.  I imagine that that the same type of problems have happened to other manufacturers.

What bothers me most is the attitude of the 3rd party manufacturers. They are not interested to rectify these problems (they did not even offer a part exchange towards a working model). So I feel they deserve even more to be 'punished". As far as Canon big white equipment is concerned I will try to find something used when I needed and assuming the price is reasonable. I am an amateur so it is not the end of the world if I don't get an extreme telephoto lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 08:00:53 AM »