Image & Video Galleries > Black & White

Black and White Landscapes!

(1/28) > >>

ions:
Bust out your best Ansel Adams! ;)

Waterdown Falls B&W Spring 2012 by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Winter in Prince Edward County by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Leuty Lifeguard House in the Winter that Never Was [Explored Feb. 24 2012 #30] by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Snake River at the Grand Tetons, Wyoming, USA by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Forest Black and White by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Kernuak:

Old Groynes near Porlock Weir by Kernuak, on Flickr

Quantoxhead Rock Shelves by Kernuak, on Flickr

Foreboding Skies at Glendale BW by Kernuak, on Flickr

Glendale Beach by Kernuak, on Flickr

girod199:
I really like both of your first pictures, Kernuak and ions. Great work!

Corona Del Mar by M Girod, on Flickr

Corona Del Mar by M Girod, on Flickr

Leo Carrillo State Beach by M Girod, on Flickr

Kernuak:
Thanks Girod. I think B&W is a very personal thing. There are so many ways to convert (beyond actually shooting in B&W) and so many different treatments that they can be given within the conversion techniques, they can look completely different. I tend to like the high contrast moody look, with deep shadows, although too many shadows and you lose the impact. I usually struggle with light skies in B&W for some reason, my eyes (or brain) always expect to see a dark sky and that influences my processing. For that reason, although your first too have a real sense of movement and are therefore probably better technically/artistically, I'm drawn more towards your third. Regardless of techniques though, the key is definitely a full dynamic range, then you can accentuate whichever parts are strongest. If a bright sky or waterfall is the dominant element, then some supporting shadows will make it stand out more and vice versa.

girod199:
I agree. Editing photos in B&W and in color have a totally different feel. I think B&W really makes you look at your photo and decide what you want to be the main focus and create some contrast so your vision is clear. In the first 2 I was so focused on creating a balance between the rocks and the water that I may have overlooked the overcast sky. I would have really liked a sky like your first and last photos with the amazing clouds but mother nature had her own plans. Great dynamic range tip!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version