October 20, 2014, 07:19:44 PM

Author Topic: Black and White Landscapes!  (Read 32827 times)

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
Re: Black and White Landscapes!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 08:45:45 AM »

Mist rolling in across Loch Leven at dawn. by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Beautiful composition and conversion

Tusen Takk.

Du er hjertelig velkommen :) Liker som tidligere sagt komposisjonen, og de tonale overgangene er fine. Nesten så det skulle vært printet ut på stålplate!
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 08:45:45 AM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »

Mist rolling in across Loch Leven at dawn. by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Tusen Takk.

Du er hjertelig velkommen :) Liker som tidligere sagt komposisjonen, og de tonale overgangene er fine. Nesten så det skulle vært printet ut på stålplate!

My Norwegian is a little rusty to reply in Norwegian, but it is important for me that I get the composition right. I don't always manage it, but I liked how this turned out after the panic trying to get a good vantage point without trees in the way. For me, a B&W has to have a full tonal range and I'm not happy if my conversion is high key, even if it works for other people. I'm yet to print this one, but a similar image with less mist works really well printed in colour, as the mountain on the right is bathed in the warm dawn sunlight, although that is slightly obscured by the mist in this one. I try to build my style on a combination of composition and light, whenever I can.
One day I would like to return to Oslo and photograph what I should have done while living there, but it was in the long period without doing any photography.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 03:11:23 AM »

:) just saying that it would be cool to see it printed on steel :)

Tusen Takk.

My Norwegian is a little rusty to reply in Norwegian, but it is important for me that I get the composition right. I don't always manage it, but I liked how this turned out after the panic trying to get a good vantage point without trees in the way. For me, a B&W has to have a full tonal range and I'm not happy if my conversion is high key, even if it works for other people. I'm yet to print this one, but a similar image with less mist works really well printed in colour, as the mountain on the right is bathed in the warm dawn sunlight, although that is slightly obscured by the mist in this one. I try to build my style on a combination of composition and light, whenever I can.
One day I would like to return to Oslo and photograph what I should have done while living there, but it was in the long period without doing any photography.
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 05:56:58 AM »
Arthur's Seat/Salisbury Crags in Edinburgh and the good old Forth Bridge. (A pedantic note for non-locals: it's not called the Forth Rail Bridge even though it is a rail bridge!)

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:08 AM »

:) just saying that it would be cool to see it printed on steel :)

Tusen Takk.

Ah, thanks, stålplate was one of the few words I couldn't work out. I'd never have thought of printing on steel.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 07:17:19 AM »
Wow, lots of beautiful shots here.  My landscape shots tend to be intimate in scale, as evidenced by this one.
I think if you boosted the blacks and the contrast, it would have a lot more impact. Perhaps reducing the exposure by half a stop too (so the whites don't get blown by the contrast boost). Rocks and white water can look quite impressive.

jwilbern

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • EOS 60D, S90
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »

Gay Head Rocks by jwilbern, on Flickr
EOS 60D, S90

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »

GammyKnee

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »

Hulskamp

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 11:39:49 AM »

Capricorns on the Fenetre de Ferret Switserland

HarryWintergreen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 02:21:20 PM »
B&W conversion done with DPP... :(

Slowpoke_Rodriguez

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 03:33:43 PM »
These are some fantastic pictures, everyone!

I especially like Gammyknee's shot just above.  How did you get the entire frame in focus?

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 05:12:38 PM »
I am really enjoying this gallery, in case of B&W I guess some HDR photographs minus wired grayish, decaying colors are quite palatable. 
My is not an HDR in the sense of using HDR stacking software, it is one shot adjustd in PS.

GammyKnee

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »
I especially like Gammyknee's shot just above.  How did you get the entire frame in focus?

Thanks.

In theory the best way to get the appearance of sharpness right through the frame is to run the numbers through a DOF calculator and set the lens to the hyperfocal distance. Thing is, I always seem to do better by just looking at the scene, picking the area that I want to have peak sharpness and focusing on that. That, combined with a reasonably small aperture (in this case f11) usually gets me what I want.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »
A Landscape sort of, just not much of the landscape showing.....

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »

Thanks.

In theory the best way to get the appearance of sharpness right through the frame is to run the numbers through a DOF calculator and set the lens to the hyperfocal distance. Thing is, I always seem to do better by just looking at the scene, picking the area that I want to have peak sharpness and focusing on that. That, combined with a reasonably small aperture (in this case f11) usually gets me what I want.
I'm inclined to agree, while it is good to klnow the hyperfocal distance, it isn't always the best choice. It depends purely on the scene to be photographed and the relative distances of the nearest and furthest away points.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »