September 24, 2017, 05:28:33 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III light leak advisory gone from Canon website....  (Read 4600 times)

MrSandman

5D Mark III light leak advisory gone from Canon website....
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
I wonder if this means they’ve determined how they’re going to fix the issue and will be posting a new advisory, or (hopefully not), they’ve concluded that it’s not an issue they want to address.  I’m kind of surprised they’d just remove the advisory altogether.

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III light leak advisory gone from Canon website....
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »

prestonpalmer

Re: 5D Mark III light leak advisory gone from Canon website....
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »
The engineers told the marketing team it's not a problem. The marketing people are not photographers. Whoops. Too bad all these armature photographers are way over their heads with the. 5d3

jfgosselin

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
And here's the answer : http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480538fc7

To Users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
Thank you for using Canon products.
Concerning the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera, when the LCD panel illuminates in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has concluded the investigation of this phenomenon, and this announcement informs you of our findings as described below.
Phenomenon
In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change. However, based on the results of extensive testing this change in exposure value will not noticeably affect the captured image.
Affected Product
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
*Products whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2 are affected.
   For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” (
  • represents any optional number.)

Support
Under almost all shooting conditions (including dark environments) this phenomenon will not affect your captured images. However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May. Please contact Canon using the information below to request service.
This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.
Please register the EOS 5D Mark III. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

xBlue

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »
This means the updated version will come with a fix.
I hope they start supplying the stores very soon.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:32 PM »
"We will inspect your camera..." Translation: this is a non-issue. If you think it's an issue for you (i.e. you frequently shoot with the lens cap on), we'd be happy to keep your camera for a few days, then send it back with a little note that it's within spec and no adjustments are needed.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »
The engineers told the marketing team it's not a problem. The marketing people are not photographers. Whoops. Too bad all these armature photographers are way over their heads with the. 5d3

Harsh, but I can't disagree :o

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »
"We will inspect your camera..." Translation: this is a non-issue. If you think it's an issue for you (i.e. you frequently shoot with the lens cap on), we'd be happy to keep your camera for a few days, then send it back with a little note that it's within spec and no adjustments are needed.

haha, yep, top notch translation there  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »

Invertalon

• EOS M5
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »
I have shot thousands of images with my 5D3 and yet to have ANY image get effected by this "light leak". It is a BS issue that Canon has had to "fix" because so many people wanted to complain about nothing. It has occurred in the 5D2 and other bodies.

Seriously...

But I am glad for those who thought this was the end of the world can now buy one in peace.

D.Sim

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »

Quite an accurate translation for the lay man, Neuro.

jrista

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:34:36 PM »
I guess its worth mentioning if you do astrophotography and intend to have the top LCD on while exposing, you might want to send yours in for repair, or better yet, wait for Canon to release versions that have a fix. Better yet, forgo the 5D III, and pick up a 60Da for better IR/H-a sensitivity and greater magnification for less than half the price. ;)

swrightgfx

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »
I guess its worth mentioning if you do astrophotography and intend to have the top LCD on while exposing, you might want to send yours in for repair, or better yet, wait for Canon to release versions that have a fix. Better yet, forgo the 5D III, and pick up a 60Da for better IR/H-a sensitivity and greater magnification for less than half the price. ;)
Better yet, don't rely on the in-built meter in conditions it wasn't designed for. None of the astrophotogs I know use the on-board meter; it simply won't deliver you what you want for that type of photography at those light levels.
Well said. This is exactly what Canon should do, given they made the error of acknowledging the issue as an issue in the first place.

PS. I would be more than happy to hand write the Post-It notes for them to attach to those grey, white and red boxes!

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 12:10:17 AM »
I wonder how many third party lens covers they have tested with? Not to forget the transparent lens cover from The Netherlands... ;)

Sorry all - could not help it. Just a joke...

swrightgfx

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 12:13:01 AM »
I wonder how many third party lens covers they have tested with? Not to forget the transparent lens cover from The Netherlands... ;)

Sorry all - could not help it. Just a joke...
Alternatively, these work great, too:

:P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 12:13:01 AM »

ramon123

• EOS 80D
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 02:03:04 AM »
CANON EUROPE

FAQ: EOS 5D Mark III - Quality Issue Announcement
Issue

Concerning the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera, when the LCD panel illuminates in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has decided on our service policy to address this phenomenon, so we would like to inform you of the details as described below.

Affected Products
EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2.

For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or  “xxxxx2xxxxxx” (x represents any optional number)

Cause
In extremely dark environments*, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change. However, when shooting with a lens attached, this change in exposure value will not significantly affect the shooting results.

* Some examples of a dark environment are as follows:

1. When the body cap is attached

2. When the lens cap is attached

Answer :

The products affected by this issue will be inspected and repaired free of charge after 10 May 2012 therefore you are kindly requested to contact one of our authorised service facilities.

If you have any further enquiries, please contact us using the e-mail support or telephone support option.

We offer our sincere apologies to customers who have been inconvenienced by this. Canon strives to provide the highest quality products to our customers, and we spare no effort in our quality management to make sure our customers use our products with confidence. We hope our efforts will earn your understanding.

jrista

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »
Better yet, don't rely on the in-built meter in conditions it wasn't designed for. None of the astrophotogs I know use the on-board meter; it simply won't deliver you what you want for that type of photography at those light levels.

LOL. Aye...I was making a very stupid joke. :P I've never used the meter when doing astrophotography either.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »