April 16, 2014, 10:28:41 AM

Author Topic: 7D firmware update - wow, could it be?  (Read 5753 times)

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
Re: 7D firmware update - wow, could it be?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 08:56:02 PM »
Awesome, informative reply jrista, thank you. We will experiment with your suggestions and hopefully report back in a timely manner. I/we do appreciate it. Happy Earth Day Canon forums!
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 08:56:02 PM »

wookiee2cu

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »
All camera functions are executed via electronic 'commands' from a central processing unit. Hence, ISO and/or AF functions of any camera can be updated thru firmware. Hardware is composed of any piece, structural or physical, that comprises the component(s) of the body.
 In electronic systems and computing, firmware is a term often used to denote the fixed, usually rather small, programs and/or data structures that internally control various electronic devices.
If that were the case, folks would release hacked firmwares right and left but they can't because it is dependent on hardware.

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 11:00:45 PM »
Awesome, informative reply jrista, thank you. We will experiment with your suggestions and hopefully report back in a timely manner. I/we do appreciate it. Happy Earth Day Canon forums!

The most effective for your bird photography should be switching from Tracking Fast to Tracking Slow. Panning while tracking will become so much easier. :) It was great when I finally figured that out myself. When I used normal and fast, there were so many times when my focus would switch to the first branch/trunk/post/pole/etc. that passed in front of the bird I was tracking, then it would hunt around trying to find the bird again after the obstruction. Switching to slow, and that rarely happens until I hit a whole patch of trees or branches, but even then, it will only switch focus after a few moments.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Bigjezza

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »
Hmmm. I am eagerly waiting to find out what the new firmware will introduce, besides support for the GPE2

If it had adjustable MFA for tele and wide, like the 5DmkIII, and adjustable audio gain that can be disabled, I think I might just wet myself.

kurtknock

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 09:57:25 PM »
I would be WOWing if they actually released a real 7D MKII instead of stupid upgrades! We need better bodies!
We need better photographers!

What is wrong with the 7D? And what is so stupid about upgraded firmware? I, and I think countless others with me, would very much welcome some new features. Could give the 7D some extended life for some users.

Always have the strange feeling that the people who are whining about wanting new camera bodies spend more time complaining than they are actually in the field taking photographs...

+1 I agree with you. I'd rather upgrade the firmware in my 7D to increase its potential rather then investing into another "upgraded" body with minor improvements over the previous one. Only the person behind the camera can increase the creativity in their pictures. Not the camera, it's just a tool to help you. Now get out there and take some pictures :)

++1 The 7D is a fine camera that delivers excellent quality photos and is more well rounded than the 5D II if you are looking for a camera that does everything. The body is so good the new 5D III was designed around it! But hey, if the body's not good enough for you, buy a 5D III with the same body for over $2000 more :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 09:57:25 PM »