October 25, 2014, 06:43:53 AM

Author Topic: Enjoying my MKIII while everyone else is stressing out...  (Read 5610 times)

tasteofjace

Re: Enjoying my MKIII while everyone else is stressing out...
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »
Very nice shots but are you implying that these could not be taken without a 5DIII?
I see you have 5DIII and 7D, which means that this as your 1st FF camera.
If that is the case it goes without saying that you made the right choice.
However I am sure that you could have taken these nice pictures with a 5DII and a 7D

Not exactly sure who you are directing this towards?? I myself do not have a 7D. What I loved about the MKIII was it's ability to capture action. I'm still learning the vast auto focus system, but it performed wonderfully and allowed me to get some great action shots from the day. Also, I was shooting in many different lighting conditions over the 2 day shoot, and never had issues with the metering system. It's just an absolute pleasure to work with this camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
Very nice shots but are you implying that these could not be taken without a 5DIII?
However I am sure that you could have taken these nice pictures with a 5DII and a 7D

Not exactly sure who you are directing this towards?? I myself do not have a 7D. What I loved about the MKIII was it's ability to capture action. I'm still learning the vast auto focus system, but it performed wonderfully and allowed me to get some great action shots from the day. Also, I was shooting in many different lighting conditions over the 2 day shoot, and never had issues with the metering system. It's just an absolute pleasure to work with this camera.

Sorry. I have read the signature of another poster and assumed it was yours. My mistake.

tasteofjace

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 06:07:14 PM »

Sorry. I have read the signature of another poster and assumed it was yours. My mistake.

Oh, no problem at all!  :D I just wasn't sure?  ???

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 06:28:07 PM »
Great shots! I really think the 5DMIII was made for crazy events like these.

tasteofjace

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 07:04:55 PM »
Great shots! I really think the 5DMIII was made for crazy events like these.

It definitely is the most versatile camera I've used. Like I said in my original post, I mostly shoot video with Canon DSLR's, but this camera has been great for every situation I've been in. Both for stills and video.  :D

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »
I've been feeling the same way. out shooting, having a good time, and the camera is working great. A friend of mine emailed me about that light leak thing, saying oh, no, are you going to return it. I said, no way, but if the light leak "fix" ends up messing up the good exposure system i would be mad.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »
dude, are you serious? Are you really asking him this? He posted fun photos, He's not trying to blow your mind.

By the way Taste, love the photos, wish i had been runnin and gunning out there too!
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »

tasteofjace

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
I've been feeling the same way. out shooting, having a good time, and the camera is working great. A friend of mine emailed me about that light leak thing, saying oh, no, are you going to return it. I said, no way, but if the light leak "fix" ends up messing up the good exposure system i would be mad.

I know that the light leak issue exists, and I do not deny the evidence. However, I just haven't had it affect me in anyway so far. So to be honest, I'm just not concerned :)

tasteofjace

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:08 AM »
dude, are you serious? Are you really asking him this? He posted fun photos, He's not trying to blow your mind.

By the way Taste, love the photos, wish i had been runnin and gunning out there too!

Thanks for checking them out!

theobdt

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 01:09:26 AM »
Like the photos. Keep shooting and enjoying the camera. I just got mine last Wednesday and love it thus far.

hoghavemercy

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 01:33:51 AM »
not stressing mate! I have not burned $3500 for the body! the only interesting picture that I see in your posting is the one with the buggy - but again, any camera who shots in RAW - you can post process the images and do HDR to get nice textures and pleasing dynamics in the pic!

can't we just enjoy something that folks are posting for crying out loud, isn't taking photos should be fun and not be so critical of someones work.

great stuff i like picture 1 with the muzzle flash! :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:39:30 AM by hoghavemercy »

Jettatore

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 05:15:17 AM »
Cool shots.  I too would also like to see a few RAW files of your well taken photographs.  Thanks and understand if you can't do that

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 12:06:26 AM »
Well, I for one am also enjoying my 5d3! Just shot a concert in a dark room with crazily changing lighting conditions on the band. AF worked pretty damn good, used zone + AI Servo and had very few shots that didn't have better than decent focus. Shot it all at ISO 3200+, lots of 6400 as well.

Also had my 5d2 as a 2nd camera (wow, I really notice the ergonomics on the 5d3 now!) and didn't really go above 3200 on the 5d2, and even there quite a few of the images aren't quite as good as the 5d3 at 6400. Plus, the single center point that I was using wasn't as fast or accurate in the changing lighting conditions.

Rented at 24-70, and I have to say, I was often using the off-center zones so the dual-cross type points didn't get as much use as I thought I would have. So even with f/2.8 vs f/4 for the 24-105, I think I'd have preferred the 24-105 for the IS which would have helped in a few shots where I think there's a small bit of blur due to being hand held. Plus the extra 35mm could have been handy, although I had my 135 f/2 on my 5d2 most of the time which was good for some close-ups.

Also forgot to mention, continuous shutter speed. On silent mode it feels a bit like the 5d2 (although pretty darn quite). Then, during a loud band, crank it up to H-continuous. Man, I got so many freaking shots. Plus the buffer is big enough that I can start shooting 1/2 to 1 second before I know the lighting/looking that I want is coming up if there's something that's repetitive and have a damn good shot at catching it. Plus it just sounds so damn cool  ;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:21:52 AM by Drizzt321 »
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 12:06:26 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 01:48:31 AM »
Well, I for one am also enjoying my 5d3! Just shot a concert in a dark room with crazily changing lighting conditions on the band. AF worked pretty damn good, used zone + AI Servo and had very few shots that didn't have better than decent focus. Shot it all at ISO 3200+, lots of 6400 as well.

Also had my 5d2 as a 2nd camera (wow, I really notice the ergonomics on the 5d3 now!) and didn't really go above 3200 on the 5d2, and even there quite a few of the images aren't quite as good as the 5d3 at 6400. Plus, the single center point that I was using wasn't as fast or accurate in the changing lighting conditions.

Rented at 24-70, and I have to say, I was often using the off-center zones so the dual-cross type points didn't get as much use as I thought I would have. So even with f/2.8 vs f/4 for the 24-105, I think I'd have preferred the 24-105 for the IS which would have helped in a few shots where I think there's a small bit of blur due to being hand held. Plus the extra 35mm could have been handy, although I had my 135 f/2 on my 5d2 most of the time which was good for some close-ups.

Also forgot to mention, continuous shutter speed. On silent mode it feels a bit like the 5d2 (although pretty darn quite). Then, during a loud band, crank it up to H-continuous. Man, I got so many freaking shots. Plus the buffer is big enough that I can start shooting 1/2 to 1 second before I know the lighting/looking that I want is coming up if there's something that's repetitive and have a damn good shot at catching it. Plus it just sounds so damn cool  ;D

So are you happy with the 5DIII then? - dont be shy :D

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 02:12:15 AM »

So are you happy with the 5DIII then? - dont be shy :D

Umm...yea, I guess it's alright.

Honestly, it was a big chunk of change to drop down, especially given it's price over a new 5d2, even at introduction. But, all the little things add up. Ergonomics, updated menu system, improved sensor (although not a huge leap), better view finder, and especially the new AF system. But in all honestly, I really enjoy shooting in the dark/crazy lighting environments often. I find it quite challenging, but I do work quite well in getting those usable shots most of the time. The 5d3 only makes that easier, especially when it comes to the AF & better noise at high ISO (better being not as bad and nicer to look at than the 5d2). One thing I have noticed while going through all of the photos, the 5d3 seems to have pretty improved lack/nicer noise in solid black/way underexposed areas. I can pretty much tell which shots are from the 5d2@3200 vs 5d3@6400. The 5d3 looks so much nicer in the dark/black areas!
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 02:12:15 AM »