October 22, 2014, 10:03:15 PM

Author Topic: If the 1Dx shows a substantial improvment in sensor technology....  (Read 7091 times)

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
.....will that change people's anti-Canon sentiment? When I'm out shooting with my 5DIII, I marvel at its vastly improved AF, burst rate, handling, user interface, LCD screen, responsiveness, and low light performance far more often than I lament about its DR, which is more than sufficient for 98% of my shots. That said, some people can't get over its DR handicap compared to the D800. The DR disadvantage is real, so there's no sense in arguing about anymore.

Since DR and sensor ratings seem to be the most important factors for the internet crowd, what if the 1Dx shows a marked improvement in DR over the 1DIV and 1DsIII? Will people still be going poo-poo on Canon and telling them to "try harder?" I wouldn't expect Sony Exmor performance, but what if the 1Dx can match the D4 in DR?

With the 5DIII, Canon addressed the 5DII's most glaring weakness (AF, FPS, build qaulity), whereas with the 5DII, Canon didn't hold back on the sensor tech but crippled everything else (AF, FPS, build quality) to distinguish it from the 1DsIII. Is it possible that Canon's strategy this time around is to reserve its best sensor technology for its flagship body as a means of distinguishing it from the 5DIII?

Only time will tell. Personally, I really don't care because I was never in the market for a 1Dx, and I don't see the point in rejoicing or lamenting over the performance of a product I never considered purchasing. I merely pose this question out of curiosity, since many people seem intent of formulating their opinion of an entire company's reputation based on one metric of sensor performance, DR. 

canon rumors FORUM

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: If the 1Dx shows a substantial improvment in sensor technology....
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
"if"... It's a big word here. It probably wont show much difference from the 5DIII.

It also wont prevent me from buying one.

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »
i think it's unlikely will use different senosr's Technologies

i am surprised about the comments on 5dmkIII
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

briansquibb

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

Only time will tell. Personally, I really don't care because I was never in the market for a 1Dx, and I don't see the point in rejoicing or lamenting over the performance of a product I never considered purchasing. I merely pose this question out of curiosity, since many people seem intent of formulating their opinion of an entire company's reputation based on one metric of sensor performance, DR.

I see the 1Dx as the natural sucessor to the 1D4. If it improves on that then it will be a fine camera indeed.

I took my 7D out for a spin today - after months on series 1 only, the 7D felt like a toy. Still there was plenty of light and, with the 24-105 mounted, I got some reasonable snapshots.

stilscream

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »
who cares if it pleases the Nikon trolls and photographer wannabes? Does it make anyone a better photographer? No. I am getting one, because it seems the most versitille upgrade to my 7d. Mk iii sounds ok, but 6fps is disappointing, then again, so is lack of f8 AF on either one. I considering 1D mk IV and 5d mk iii or 1Dx for this reason. I am mostly a hobbyist BIF guy, but looking into portraits more and always liked landscape as if there aren't any hawks handy. :)

Can't wait for the 600 f4 IS II USM, 24-70 f2.8L II and 1Dx to be released. I am not looking forward to explaining the cost to my wife, though. I already ordered my gitzo tripod and wimberly gimble ii head wh-200. Not sure why  my 1Dx pre-order didn't go through, maybe it's above what I allowed on my debit card.
7d, 5d mk iii, 1d4, 1dx, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm IS ii USM, 300mm f4 IS USM, 600mm f4l is USM, 400mm f2.8l is usm, 14mm tamron f2.8, 17-40mm f4L, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 85f1.2L USM, 100mm f2.8 macro

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
I took my 7D out for a spin today ... felt like a toy ... I got some reasonable snapshots.

If 'karma' was still active, you'd be in for some serious smiting...   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

briansquibb

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »
I took my 7D out for a spin today ... felt like a toy ... I got some reasonable snapshots.

If 'karma' was still active, you'd be in for some serious smiting...   :P

I hope the humour wasn't lost on the fanboys  ::) ::) ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »

nikkito

• Canon 6D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
I will love Canon if they just release the damned camera. I can't wait any longer!
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »

I took my 7D out for a spin today - after months on series 1 only, the 7D felt like a toy. Still there was plenty of light and, with the 24-105 mounted, I got some reasonable snapshots.

That's the problem right there. What do you expect out of a slow kit lens :o?

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 11:56:46 PM »
.....will that change people's anti-Canon sentiment? When I'm out shooting with my 5DIII, I marvel at its vastly improved AF, burst rate, handling, user interface, LCD screen, responsiveness, and low light performance far more often than I lament about its DR, which is more than sufficient for 98% of my shots. That said, some people can't get over its DR handicap compared to the D800. The DR disadvantage is real, so there's no sense in arguing about anymore.

Since DR and sensor ratings seem to be the most important factors for the internet crowd, what if the 1Dx shows a marked improvement in DR over the 1DIV and 1DsIII? Will people still be going poo-poo on Canon and telling them to "try harder?" I wouldn't expect Sony Exmor performance, but what if the 1Dx can match the D4 in DR?

With the 5DIII, Canon addressed the 5DII's most glaring weakness (AF, FPS, build qaulity), whereas with the 5DII, Canon didn't hold back on the sensor tech but crippled everything else (AF, FPS, build quality) to distinguish it from the 1DsIII. Is it possible that Canon's strategy this time around is to reserve its best sensor technology for its flagship body as a means of distinguishing it from the 5DIII?

Yes and no. It will mean the 5D4 should (although it might leave on a touch worried that maybe they can only od it with an expensive process they will reserve for 1 series only even next round) have a good sensor and you don't have to worry as much about will they ever get there but it would p me off that they cheaped out on the 5D3 sensor then while raising price $800 and messed that part and stopped the 5D3 from being a fully upgraded fantastic all around camera.

Musouka

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 12:51:31 AM »
Aren't the pre-production RAWs already out there? You can judge for yourself. Unless the real reason Canon is delaying the 1Dx is to improve the sensor (which I find unlikely), the final model is probably going to have similar RAWs.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »
Aren't the pre-production RAWs already out there? You can judge for yourself. Unless the real reason Canon is delaying the 1Dx is to improve the sensor (which I find unlikely), the final model is probably going to have similar RAWs.

The pre-production raws are very hard to find. If you know where to find some, I'd like to check them out. There are a few raws out there, but not enough to draw any kind of conclusions. 

briansquibb

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:42:51 AM »

The 24-105 is a great lens for me as most of my shots have to be at f/4 or f/5.6 for the DOF.

Fast lens aren't always the answer as in a fast moving scenario a light lens is often the one that gets the shot. I have a very busy week ahead of me this week, finishing with a theatre shoot. Basically for the theatre shoot I will be using as many flashes as I can to take the pictures at iso 200 if possible. It is the final dress rehersal so I fill a row with flash stands and just flood the stage with light. The 70-200 f/2.8 is the weapon of choice for this.

A picture from yesterday with the 7D + 24-105. This is an old but much loved, angora goat. The brief was, as is mostly, to capture the character of the animal rather than all washed and brushed which it never was. Most of the owners want images that reflect the animal as they saw it day to day - hence it is covered in hay ...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:47:18 AM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:42:51 AM »

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 01:58:50 AM »
.. what if the 1Dx can match the D4 in DR?

I'll be pleasantly surprised. (caveat, 1Dx must have no visible banding in low ISO shadows even after a 4EV push  ;D )

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 02:40:48 AM »

The 24-105 is a great lens for me as most of my shots have to be at f/4 or f/5.6 for the DOF.

I was only kidding. The 24-105 is my primary workhorse lends. I love it. It's helped pay many of my bills :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 02:40:48 AM »