October 25, 2014, 04:06:28 PM

Author Topic: My only beef with 5d3 right now...  (Read 5939 times)

theobdt

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: My only beef with 5d3 right now...
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 01:00:10 AM »
Not sure if this helps you any but Lightroom version 4.1 allows you to open the 5D Mk III raw files. If not I'm sure a codec isn't too far away from becoming available.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 01:00:10 AM »

Rofflesaurrr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 01:06:06 AM »
Microsoft is really slow with releasing updates to the Camera Codec Pack. The latest version (16.3.1483.0410) which was released 4 days ago added support for the Nikon D7000, and D3100. Both of those cameras are a year and a half old. Expect to be waiting awhile for 5D3 support.

This doesn't bother me as I don't ever see the thumbnails for my photos in Windows Explorer. I import directly into Lightroom, and it files the images away in dated folders on my RAID array.

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »
Im running win 7 64 bit.

I wouldnt dual boot with my ssd. not enough space for that.

SO swrightgfx, you see thumbs from the 5d3 RAW files in windows explorer?!? And without any updates or anything? How is that possible?
Indeed. I can upload a screenshot later, if you like. No idea why it works without an additional profile, but it just does!

liberace

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »
Microsoft is really slow with releasing updates to the Camera Codec Pack. The latest version (16.3.1483.0410) which was released 4 days ago added support for the Nikon D7000, and D3100. Both of those cameras are a year and a half old. Expect to be waiting awhile for 5D3 support.

This doesn't bother me as I don't ever see the thumbnails for my photos in Windows Explorer. I import directly into Lightroom, and it files the images away in dated folders on my RAID array.

Rofflesaurr is correct - MS are quite slow. You can check this page for updates though if you want.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829

dawgfanjeff

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Site:
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
I escalated this exact issue with some folks I know at MS, mentioning particularly that Apple, to their credit, had already jumped on it..the reply from the codec team was that they were aware of it and would release an update at some point.  In other words, we'll get to it. 
They didn't mention that there would be an update on 4/19, so that is a hopeful sign.  Before any codec was available from MS, I bought the one from Ardfry. It worked just fine.  I just checked, it's not updated for 5DIII, either.

FWIW, and not to derail the thread into a workflow debate, explorer (particularly in W7), is a hugely underrated workflow tool.  Easy to sort and group pics, based on many more attributes that are available by default. Right click on a column, click "more" and voila.   Not sure how many of those are options to LR or anything else. I don't use them, because I want to own my own workflow.  I write my own scripts and such to handle all that in an editor-agnostic way, I don't use the "library" concept.   I realize that one day, I'll probably succumb to it, but I'll hang as long as I can.
5DIII, | 100 2.8 Macro | 24-105L | 16-35 f/4L
70-200 f/4L IS | 50 1.4 | 10-22 (for sale!)

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »
RunAndGun, Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.12, available here:     http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1513      should let you see previews.

Thank you, fugu82.  But I don't use Aperture and I still have iPhoto '09(I don't really use it, so I never upgraded), so it will not load the RAW update.  I guess I could spend the $15 and DL iPhoto '11,so I could regain the ability to see everything when I open a finder window, but it's not a deal breaker since I have DPP, Image Browser, LR and PS.  Although I am kind of interested in playing around with Aperture...

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »
I escalated this exact issue with some folks I know at MS, mentioning particularly that Apple, to their credit, had already jumped on it..the reply from the codec team was that they were aware of it and would release an update at some point.  In other words, we'll get to it. 
They didn't mention that there would be an update on 4/19, so that is a hopeful sign.  Before any codec was available from MS, I bought the one from Ardfry. It worked just fine.  I just checked, it's not updated for 5DIII, either.

FWIW, and not to derail the thread into a workflow debate, explorer (particularly in W7), is a hugely underrated workflow tool.  Easy to sort and group pics, based on many more attributes that are available by default. Right click on a column, click "more" and voila.   Not sure how many of those are options to LR or anything else. I don't use them, because I want to own my own workflow.  I write my own scripts and such to handle all that in an editor-agnostic way, I don't use the "library" concept.   I realize that one day, I'll probably succumb to it, but I'll hang as long as I can.

Yes, win explorer is very useful! :)
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »

nelson tew

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
I don't care one bit about any "light leak" problems.

I don't care (too much) about the sensor being "inferior" to a Nikon.

I don't even care that I paid a small fortune for the camera.

The only thing I dislike at the moment, and its no fault of the camera, is that windows explorer doesn't give me a thumbnail for my raw files. Makes it harder to just scroll through and pick one or two photos to edit.

My 5d2 raws work.

Anyone have any ideas on when a codec or whatever will be available? I really have no idea how fast things like that get updated for new cameras.

And don't tell me to shoot Jpeg, or raw + jpeg. That messes with my workflow and its not worth it.

nelson tew

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 11:51:01 AM »
try opening your raw file using Canon Image Browser (update to the latest 6.9 ver) let the application finish a complete thumbnail display cycle, see if the explorer can display the raw thumbnail after that.
I am using Mac Power Book, having the same problem, this method seems to work.
Let me know if it helps in the case of PC

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »
use adobe bridge or lightroom
you can see thumbs and more info without any problems!

but yeah mac is much better..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »