October 20, 2014, 09:12:22 PM

Author Topic: Good Wireless trigger for Canon 5D MKIII?  (Read 34279 times)

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Good Wireless trigger for Canon 5D MKIII?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »
The MC-36R comes with a cable that goes from the time release handle direct into the camera, thereby bypassing the wireless component. In that case the only batteries you need to be concerned with are the two AAA in the device. Up to you.

I will try it out tonight and let you know how it works.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 01:11:34 AM »
Thank you  ;)

on the link it doesn't say that it's compatible with the 5D III. Have you tried it (or do you know someone who has)?

because the 3-pin connection should fit the 5D III but i want to make sure there's no problem with the remote operating correctly

I'l check mine tonight to be 100% sure before i say yes but i am 99% sure it will work
this also works well from an iphone
http://www.dslrbot.com/
APS-H Fanboy

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 06:27:19 AM »

I tried out the MC-36R (C3) and it works fine with the 5D3 in both manual mode and time-lapse.

monzak

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »
great!

thank you for the feedback  ;)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »

I tried out the MC-36R (C3) and it works fine with the 5D3 in both manual mode and time-lapse.

yep tried mine out too and its all good
APS-H Fanboy

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 06:21:51 AM »
I've been checking out the PocketWizard MiniTT1 with the aim of increasing efficiency when using HSS on 580ex & 580exII. From what I've read I'll see high compatibility with my 1D MkIV, but zero compatibility with my 5DIII. Does anyone have direct experience with these combinations?

Also, does the 600ex-RT do HSS in an efficient way as offered by the PocketWizard MiniTT1? Or does it do HSS at all?

Paul Wright

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 07:09:01 AM »
I've been checking out the PocketWizard MiniTT1 with the aim of increasing efficiency when using HSS on 580ex & 580exII. From what I've read I'll see high compatibility with my 1D MkIV, but zero compatibility with my 5DIII. Does anyone have direct experience with these combinations?

Also, does the 600ex-RT do HSS in an efficient way as offered by the PocketWizard MiniTT1? Or does it do HSS at all?

Paul Wright
Yes, the 600EX-RT does HSS.

IF you are considering the PW MiniTT1 and Flex system, you may want to check out the Phottix Odins - I have been hearing a lot of good things about them over at Strobist.com. Here is a review on them:
http://flashhavoc.com/phottix-odin-ttl-trigger-review/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 07:09:01 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 07:55:55 AM »
I've been checking out the PocketWizard MiniTT1 with the aim of increasing efficiency when using HSS on 580ex & 580exII. Also, does the 600ex-RT do HSS in an efficient way as offered by the PocketWizard MiniTT1?
Yes, the 600EX-RT does HSS.
IF you are considering the PW MiniTT1 and Flex system, you may want to check out the Phottix Odins - I have been hearing a lot of good things about them over at Strobist.com. Here is a review on them:
http://flashhavoc.com/phottix-odin-ttl-trigger-review/
Interesting, it looks like a good system. But it's the power usage efficiencies that the PocketWizard MiniTT1 promises, with the associated ability to do an HSS burst. Regular HSS using big apertures & higher iso might deliver 2-3 frames in a 10 FPS speed burst. If the PocketWizard MiniTT1 savings could stretch this out by even a couple of frames it's valuable to me.

Paul Wright

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 08:18:09 AM »
Paul,

I would head over to the the Storbist group on Flickr and ask your question: http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/

If anyone can answer it they can.

Here is a review by the same guy on Strobist.com:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157628093126883/?search=phottix+odin

That would likely be the appropriate thread to post in if you don't find your answer there.

briansquibb

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »
Paul,

I would head over to the the Storbist group on Flickr and ask your question: http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/

If anyone can answer it they can.

Here is a review by the same guy on Strobist.com:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157628093126883/?search=phottix+odin

That would likely be the appropriate thread to post in if you don't find your answer there.

I use this too - and also the remote camera trigger that comes with the mini/flex.

applecider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
Noob,

if all you want is a simple shutter release I'd suggest the vello freewave.  It has a canon three pin cord, in a mini to three pin cord, the cord being replaceable so that it could be used with other cameras.

I use mine so that I can wander about the house while waiting for birds to come to a feeder photo set up.  In my case I mount it on top of a pocket wizard when I also want flash. The PW is optional and for the flash only.

I was at the Oregon coast and a handful of photographers asked me about it as I was shooting waves. 

Got mine at BH.
Near here
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749996-REG/Vello_RW_C2_FreeWave_Wireless_Remote_Shutter.html
AE-1, T90,EOS Elan 7e, EOS-M, 7D, 5D3, 1dx, ef40 2.8, ef 85 1.2ii, ef100 is 2.8 macro, ef300 2.8ii, ef400 2.8ii, ef600 is ii usm, ef8-15 f4, ef16-35 ii, ef24-70 ii, ef 24-105, ef 70-200, 2xext ii, 2xext iii, 1.4x ext iii.

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 09:43:35 PM »
My recommendation is the:

Giga T Pro II 2.4GHz Wireless Timer Remote for Canon Cameras

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/852088-REG

Noob, there are various answers here, but it really depends on what you ACTUALLY need.

That is:
  • simply a 'wireless shutter release' - for 5DmkIII???  OR 
  • a 'wireless FLASH' trigger for a certain external flash???

I have the Giga T Pro Wireless Timer Remote for Canon, which works great on both my 7D and my Canon 350D (it comes shipped with 2 different cables, 1 for most 'older' Canon DSLRs and a three pin for some of the 'newer' ones!) I'm very happy with that.

It allows a good working range, batteries have not yet needed replacing, and I like the flexibility of it being an intervalometer (eg that I can do time-lapse and control from inside, while my camera is outdoors)

Plus, it's a simple 'self-timer' / portrait help too. I'm not 100% sure if this will work on the 5DmkIII - but someone else (or google or the Hahnel or Canon websites should tell you!)

If it's option 2) - as I don't have a Canon 5DmkIII, I might have different requirements.  (The 7D can control remote flash, wirelessly by it's own flash, etc).

Best regards

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

Chicorob

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »
I am looking for a good ettl wireless trigger system foor my 5d3 too. It appears that not all of them are as reliable as they say they are.
From what I have heard is that the "Pixel E-TTL Trigger Set Knight TR-332 for Canon" does a nice job, and it supports HSS for shutter speeds < 1/200.
I have no hands-on experience with it though....

I don't have any experience with the Pixel Knights, but I have the King model and you can't beat it for the money.

Pixel Knights dont work with the 5DIII.  Tried mine the other day and they just fire random full load ouput.  They work great on the 5DII but are not upgradeable. Not sure about the Kings though.  I will probably sell my set and upgrade to the Phottix Odin's.  Havent heard a negative word about them yet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »
I am looking for a good ettl wireless trigger system foor my 5d3 too. It appears that not all of them are as reliable as they say they are.
From what I have heard is that the "Pixel E-TTL Trigger Set Knight TR-332 for Canon" does a nice job, and it supports HSS for shutter speeds < 1/200.
I have no hands-on experience with it though....

I don't have any experience with the Pixel Knights, but I have the King model and you can't beat it for the money.

Pixel Knights dont work with the 5DIII.  Tried mine the other day and they just fire random full load ouput.  They work great on the 5DII but are not upgradeable. Not sure about the Kings though.  I will probably sell my set and upgrade to the Phottix Odin's.  Havent heard a negative word about them yet.

Pixel Kings don't work well with my 5D MkIII well, either.  When attached, the little signal LED on King TX just keeps blinking rapidly without being able to fire.  After going through turn-on-off cycle with both camera and Pixel TX AND RX, after some combination of cycling, one can get them to fire.  But it soon goes back to going crazy after a few uses. 

AVOID Pixel products for 5D MkIII! 

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 02:32:41 AM »
I wanted to chime in with my experience.  I use the Yongnuo RF602 Receiver / RF600 TX pairs and they work just fine on my MKIII.  I used them all the time with my 40D and XSI and have never had an issue.  Just fired off several shots in a quick test setup and it fired without issue on my Mark III.  I used two triggers and two receivers: one trigger in hand, a receiver in the camera's remote N3 connector to trigger the shutter and the other trigger on the camera hot shoe and the receiver in my alien bee to trigger the strobe.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 02:32:41 AM »